Suvarnabhumi taxis threaten to protest Friday

Thaivisa News

Drivers of the Mini Van Taxi's say they only have insurance for 4 people Hmmmmmmmmm Is it me, or does that sound a silly thing to admit.

No, you're not the only one. This must be a bomb on the whole minivan-business in this country, the safest one can imagine. If this insurance claim is true, the whole sector can be declared illegal by law.

What's this?

They need to carry bags, more passengers, fill their taxis and know where they are going?

What is the world coming to!

Disgraceful. How dare the actual consumer try to demand that they do their jobs. Shame on us.

I hate Bangkok metered taxi drivers, so they can all get f@#$$#..

I fly in/out of Bangkok 6 - 8 times a year and always use SP Limousine private service now - last thing I want is an argument with a stinking scumbag after a 11 hour flight.

For me it is worth just paying 1000 baht, getting a nice private car with an educated friendly driver.

No sympathy for the pricks.

• Like 1

A baggage fee?

Why stop there?

What about a passenger fee?

A "going to the airport"-fee.

A 'taking-you-where-you -want -to-go"- fee!

A "pick- you-up-late-at-night"- fee?

"They do that in Europe already'' for many years

But i have used the Rail Link a few times into the

city,, never again, not with luggage and the crowds.

Getting off this thing is a nightmare, so i pay for a

taxi, door to door service.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Bring back the airport buses that used to run from the airport during the 3 day strike and keep them there.

There's still a bus runs from the airport to Jomtien, I believe 136 baht, and as MUCH luggage as you want.

• Like 2

I don't get it why everyone seems to think this is unfair. They are talking about the bigger taxi's no surcharge for the smaller ones. Those bigger taxi's are more expensive to buy and to operate. Fair is fair besides if your alone you don't need one of those and you can make do with a smaller one.

So I am ok with this as long as its only for the bigger kind.

Have to disagree on 1 aspect. When alone it can be necessary to require a bigger taxi. e.g. I travel regularly on golfing trips and as well as having a back pack (checked luggage) and a carry on bag, I also have my golf clubs with me. It is not possible to fit all this into the smaller taxis. The back back and carry on bag fit in the boot, but the golf clubs which are in their travel bag are to big to fit on the back seat of the taxi, and with most taxis having lpg tanks in the boot, there's no chance of the clubs fitting in the boot, so a larger cab is required.

A slightly higher surcharge (75 baht) would be warranted, but flag fall and meter rates should be the same.

Edited by TigerandDog

I don't get it why everyone seems to think this is unfair. They are talking about the bigger taxi's no surcharge for the smaller ones. Those bigger taxi's are more expensive to buy and to operate. Fair is fair besides if your alone you don't need one of those and you can make do with a smaller one.

Curious, How often do you actually fly in/out of BKK ?? The biggest problem here is the unknowing tourist, if you have lived in Thailand and allow them to rip you off, must be your fault !! I rarely use the Meter Taxi. I use my wife and her Civic or the AOT Limo. Nice cars, smell good and have Professional acting drivers !!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Patthawee reasoned that the insurance policy for taxis does not cover accidents in case the taxis carry more than four passengers at a time.

If this is true taxis should not carry more than 4 passengers, not ask for a surcharge to overload their vehicles.

Drivers of over 1,700 taxis at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport threatened to stage three-day protests on Friday to demand baggage fee and higher surcharge.

Simply pull a Ronald Reagan on them, announce a special license to be issued on the first day of the strike. Any taxi without that license will no longer be welcome at the airport, strike over.

What a laugh, taxi operators suddenly talking about insurance.

I doubt whether many of them even understand the concept let alone the details of any insurance policies.

I just wonder how many taxis, all sizes plying the streets of Bangkok have any insurance other than the compulsory third party.

Then again fake insurance stickers have been around for 20 years or more that I'm aware of.

And I wonder how many LTO officials where registrations are renewed turn a blind eye (for a team money contribution) to proof of payment of insurance, including third party insurance (relating to owner/drivers)?

On the other hand are the taxi rental companies responsible for these insurances?.

I bet that in reality all of this is about as clear as mud.

When you talk about registrations and blind eyes being turned, I wonder how many of these taxis are actually road worthy. Some of the older taxis I've seen are so full of rust, it's a wonder they can actually be driven without dropping bits and pieces all over the road. God help anyone in a serious accident in one of those taxis. You'd have 2 chances of avoiding serious or fatal injury, buckleys & none.

I find it interesting that the small taxis run on Gas for economy of fuel and the boot is more than half filled with the Gas cylinder.

This makes such taxies fine for shifting people without much luggage but not that good if you have two 20Kg bags plus hand luggage and laptop etc.

One bag in the boot, the other in the front passenger seat and two passengers in the rear with hand luggage and that's about the maximum for a reasonably confortable journey.

From the airport in a large taxi fine, better and I would also pay more for the comfort but

where can I find a large taxi to take me to the airport from our home in the Styks LOL

We have to book a couple of days in advance as it is with the small taxi!

Edited by laislica

Thailand is one of a handful of countries with airport taxi problems. Considering how Swampy is so often touted as being the major hub of travel in Southeast Asia, you'd think they could manage this one simple aspect. Most OTHER countries do. Oh, wait!!! I forgot:

Thainess

Charging tourists for having bags with them would be akin to paying to play a round of golf and the course charging you extra for bringing your clubs.

Thais trying to think of more ways to rape the falang cash cow!

My mates and I ( 8 of us )actually had that happen to us once in Pattaya in 2006. The pro shop charged us for green fees, caddy fee and club hire. We said we had our own clubs and they insisted on club hire still being paid. We told them to give us our money back and we'd go and place somewhere else. Common sense prevailed eventually after we complained to the farang GM. We had an enjoyable game of golf and the girl who tried to rip us off was out of a job.

• Like 1

This is not the insurance fault that the greedy bastards want to take more people than what they are insured for;;;;same as the baht buses they pile them in like sardines The vans are not insured for that;;;Plus extra weight,bad driving ,less braking power, conclusion Don't go with them, you are not covered by insurance if something happens,,,and something happens every day,,,It could be you next,,,

Analogy. You and your wife go to a restaurant, and their tables for two are full. They put you at a table for 4, and then charge you extra for the other seats.

Many times the "Q" just offers you a mini-van because it is next up. With their demands, you will pay more than the guy behind you in line who gets a sedan.

When I can take a taxi, be it from the airport, to the airport, or anywhere in TH, and pay a fraction of what I'd pay in any western country, I think there's some room for fare increases. But it must be done in a manner where everyone has a say and files their grievances, including the taxi drivers. But the process to assess "fair fares" is underway and there are legitimate complaints to be heard from ALL sides. Not all of the 30,000+ taxi drivers in BKK are bad. But "one bad apple" as they say...,

The government needs to bring in an independent, unbiased moderator in to work the process. It's out of hand right now and nobody has really stepped up to address the situation at its core AND to listen to all sides in a common forum.

As a side note, many taxis in my area see me and smile as they pull up to take my fare. They know me and they know I respect them for their service. They also know I tip them as is customary where I'm from. I typically tip 10-20% depending on traffic and the route distance.

The idea of The Baggage fee they might got from Hong Kong taxis - which I also never understood the reason - you hire the taxi and driver therefore you have to pay what's on the meter its that simple don't make it complicated and I don't think the fares are to low right now considering the vast amount of taxis driving around Thailand it's a well paid desired job. Enforcement of existing laws and regulations will wash out the nasty drivers and we will be left with hard working , fair , service orientated drivers which than even deserve a tip

I find it interesting that the small taxis run on Gas for economy of fuel and the boot is more than half filled with the Gas cylinder.

This makes such taxies fine for shifting people without much luggage but not that good if you have two 20Kg bags plus hand luggage and laptop etc.

One bag in the boot, the other in the front passenger seat and two passengers in the rear with hand luggage and that's about the maximum for a reasonably confortable journey.

From the airport in a large taxi fine, better and I would also pay more for the comfort but

where can I find a large taxi to take me to the airport from our home in the Styks LOL

We have to book a couple of days in advance as it is with the small taxi!

I see the difference between the bigger taxi's and the smaller ones and don't mind if they add a little bit (not talking about a lot let them add an extra 50-100bt)

But of course only for the bigger kind and it should be up to the passenger if they take a bigger one or not.

Personally, I want them to keep sticking their greedy little hands out looking for the freebee until they get their ass kicked by the military.

The same old story the few bad apples spoil it for all. Boot their backsides back to Isan where they can spend their days in a field, no aircon.

Overall the taxi service, which has too compensates for the pathetic failure with Government to provide a viable transportation service for the public, is doing a great job but hardly a week will pass without an altercation with some self empowered Somchai who feels he can rewrite the rules, does not want to go ,use meter or insists at 11 pm that we must use the bloody highway. I am truly sick to death with these clowns.

Curious, How often do you actually fly in/out of BKK ?? The biggest problem here is the unknowing tourist, if you have lived in Thailand and allow them to rip you off, must be your fault !! I rarely use the Meter Taxi. I use my wife and her Civic or the AOT Limo. Nice cars, smell good and have Professional acting drivers !!

Myself not that often but my friends and family do come but often i pick them up with my car.

When I was talking about extra money I was thinking 50-100 bt more for a big taxi. Nothing else not ripping of passenger and of course passenger should be able to choose if they want a big taxi or not.

Whenever I can I try to use my own transportation as I find that many taxis dont want to turn on the meter or go to certain spots. They should really crack down on that. But that is a separate issue from asking a bit more for a bigger more expensive taxi.