Suvarnabhumi taxis threaten to protest Friday

Thaivisa News

sorry if this is a duplicate; thaivisa messed up:

…here we go again… taxi's wanting more money. guess they're having a hard time scamming people with their meters running, and with all the other complaints of yesteryear. so now baggage fees? and what else? how about a bottle of nahm yehn, traffic jam fees, dispensing of local information fees, and how about a discount not being able to find the hotel within a hour?

I suggest that all farang stop using all taxis all together for one day and use the Sky train and hotel shuttles. That should shut em up.

I commented earlier, but then read the responses. It's clear to me that this is a scam within a scam and on and on.

These taxis have been getting fare rates from the airport and don't have to pay the toll way.

They are trying to monopolize their mafia tactics and control and exploit fares from tourists and Thai's alike.

Everyone, as mentioned above, should boycott these greedy idiots (and not all are greedy idiots of course), and use the Skytrain.

That will show them that they don't control the entire airport transportation industry.

Let's start an Uber transportation service like in the U.S. with fair, discounted rates with good service that's insured.

Actually, maybe I'll call my private bootleg taxi driver prior to my next arrival and save a bundle - and a long queue.

Screw people that screw people.

There are a few things I will not be doing when I visit Thailand the first of them NOT Taking a Taxi from the airport I will have a car waiting for me to drive. The second will be keeping away from the tourist traps that enjoy charging foreign tourists 100s% more that the normal price.

So basically u plan to be locked up in your room during your stay?

"...will have a car waiting for me to drive" -

I am confused, have you ever driven in Thailand? It really does not matter in this thread, since we are discussing ... perhpas .. millions of people using taxis ... becuase .. they don't. And this is the basic idea of this story / problem.

As for paying more than the local price .. you HAVE been to Thailand before ... yes? You DO know there is two tier pricing ... EVERYWHERE ... yes?

The onoy way this posting could make sense is:

You have lived in Thailand for avery lonf time, speak flawless Thai, and have a Thai partner ... but I sincerley doubat any of that.

So Bue Eyes is correct .. you will need to go to the store, buy a bag of food, and stay in your room and eat it.

There are a few things I will not be doing when I visit Thailand the first of them NOT Taking a Taxi from the airport I will have a car waiting for me to drive. The second will be keeping away from the tourist traps that enjoy charging foreign tourists 100s% more that the normal price.

Let me know if you find a place that only charges 100% more...I'd probably go ;)

I recently visited South Korea, there they are very strict with the four passenger rule. Police will stop and fine the taxi if there are more than four passenger. As we where 6 people we had to have two taxis wherever we went.

Yes,and what has that to do with the conning fxxxxxg bxxxxxds over here? We have all been fxxxxd up at one time or another by them.

Charging tourists for having bags with them would be akin to paying to play a round of golf and the course charging you extra for bringing your clubs.

Thais trying to think of more ways to rape the falang cash cow!

Never read in the article the fare hike was ONLY for farang.

Edit

A new definition for passenger?

Edited by ravip

I recently visited South Korea, there they are very strict with the four passenger rule. Police will stop and fine the taxi if there are more than four passenger. As we where 6 people we had to have two taxis wherever we went.

Yes,and what has that to do with the conning fxxxxxg bxxxxxds over here? We have all been fxxxxd up at one time or another by them.

"conning fxxxxxg bxxxxxds over here"

Including the ones inside the cabs?

good news actually. many more people will become familiar with the great rail link into town.

short taxi rides can be taken if needed at the end of the rail link line once the long distance into town is over.

• Like 2

'Patthawee added that the drivers of the mini-van taxis also want the right to reject passengers who arrive in a group of more than four. Patthawee reasoned that the insurance policy for taxis does not cover accidents in case the taxis carry more than four passengers at a time.' Er, last time I checked, mini buses (vans) were designed to take more than four passengers, hence, the insurance should cover more than four passengers - notwithstanding how cheap an insurance the driver has, which is an issue for the transport ministry. If they don't want to take more than four passengers, they might as well bugger off.

'Patthawee added that the drivers of the mini-van taxis also want the right to reject passengers who arrive in a group of more than four. Patthawee reasoned that the insurance policy for taxis does not cover accidents in case the taxis carry more than four passengers at a time.' Er, last time I checked, mini buses (vans) were designed to take more than four passengers, hence, the insurance should cover more than four passengers - notwithstanding how cheap an insurance the driver has, which is an issue for the transport ministry. If they don't want to take more than four passengers, they might as well bugger off.

They aren't mini vans they are SUV taxis.. Like this:

post-195835-14299540674205_thumb.jpg

"conning fxxxxxg bxxxxxds over here"

Including the ones inside the cabs?

Speak for yourself cock

I'm 99% sure the rates are exactly the same for regular taxis or minivans in New York City. One is allowed 4 passengers, the van 5. NO difference in rates.

When you get to the airport, a person is there at the head of the taxi line. You tell them the destination and the give you a piece of paper with the fare. That's what the driver has to accept. This got rid of the "long" routes some drivers would take to boost their fare. Unfortunately, it didn't work the other way back to the airport and it's not unusual to have them go the long way...usually saying it's due to less traffic. Which sometimes is true...

But overall, they might have a point here. Rates are very low.

Might have a point??? the rates are not low,that is the point

This I want to see. Taxi mafia vs. the military.

So why get a big taxi if only 3 can use it? blink.png

Wish you buggers would read the original posts--------- let me put you in the picture-They want to reject parties of MORE THAN 4 ---NOT 3.In other words if there is a party of say 5 or 6 they will not be insured and therefore will have to be rejected. If there is a party of 4 OK LETS GO !!!!!! With it now?coffee1.gif

Testy lot these taxi drivers! Cannot wait for Transport Ministry to raise fares in June. Typical of so many, they have no respect for the law and want to flex their industrial muscle (even though their case is under consideration) AKA bully boys. A small increase in charges may be justified but they will still play their silly games of threatening passengers, not using meters and so on, unless passengers pay more than the set fees. I have had some honest and good drivers (they get a decent tip) but I have also had some crooked ones. All their bleating about insurance and laws covering the numbers allowed to be carried etc., who would believe them? whistling.gif There is not much honesty in some segments of Thai society, especially when it come to dealing with tourists. And the various "authorities" seem not to have any will to enforce the laws. Plenty of talk (gum bashing as usual) and little action! coffee1.gif About time for the military to kick some butts I think!

Sorry mate but if you knew what you were talking about,you wouldn't be talking so much rubbishcoffee1.gif

This I want to see. Taxi mafia vs. the military.

So why get a big taxi if only 3 can use it? blink.png

Wish you buggers would read the original posts--------- let me put you in the picture-They want to reject parties of MORE THAN 4 ---NOT 3.In other words if there is a party of say 5 or 6 they will not be insured and therefore will have to be rejected. If there is a party of 4 OK LETS GO !!!!!! With it now?coffee1.gif

You are naive to believe that taxi drivers are concerned about insurance cover for its passengers rather than the extra profit they can make for charging excess with more punters inside. Edited by kingalfred

good news actually. many more people will become familiar with the great rail link into town.

short taxi rides can be taken if needed at the end of the rail link line once the long distance into town is over.

Just what I was thinking. The train actually is convenient only if you are travelling light. Heavy luggage in the BTS would end up making airport passengers seem like pests to other BTS passengers.

How many cab drivers actually charge passengers from the airport by the meter ? Invariably they quote a flat charge once you are inside and the cab has moved away from the pickup point. The common fare to pay to lower Sukhumvit is 450 baht inclusive of the toll. The metered fare inclusive of toll is less than 350. My guess is, if they allow the higher fare AND act to ensure that passengers are charged by the meter, the cabbies would still protest because they would actually lose rather than gain biggrin.png