The Volcano

beau thai

In the quest for good Ice Cream Parlours in Chiang Mai, I was taken to this place today by a thai friend. It is vast modern 2 storey place and was packed with thai, and for good reason.

They have a great formula.

First choose your toast style, than your FREE topping sauce, then your fruit and then your ice cream. Add the whipped cream or marshmallow option and you are good to go.

The ice cream is not the creamiest I have ever had but the flavours are very good. I particularly liked the mocha and the rum & raisin.

Check it out on FB; it's in PP Place in Suthep Road, beyond Canal Road going towards Doi Suthep. I noticed they are opening a new soft ice cream place next on 2nd MAY.

Re

Check it out on FB; it's in PP Place in Suthep Road, beyond Canal Road going towards Doi Suthep. I noticed they are opening a new soft ice cream place next on 2nd MAY.

They also opened a branch in the back of ramping nim citys yard in Feb 14

Dave2

Ps .. toast with ice cream just doesn't work for me

Cake maybe ..but toast ..nah :(

post-42592-0-08411500-1429963664_thumb.j

post-42592-0-41806200-1429963687_thumb.j

Thanks for adding the photos - again- Dave2!!

But suspend your disbelief- not all toast is, well, toast!! Their danish toast is crispy outside, soft inside and about 3-4cm thick. They have others.

I hadnt come across this sort of 'honey' toast dessert until I came to Chiang Mai and it can be very good, to my taste at least, and the accompaniments and presentation make it special

Re

Waffels and ice cream > toast

Nah .. waffles are made with a sweet , light cake mix :)

Toast is made with a thick doughy bread mix :( yuk !

dairy queen waffles are light and crisp but melt with the ice cream

you could suck a bit of thai bread toast for a week and it would still be in your mouth !

dave2

post-42592-0-37693900-1430010824_thumb.j

• Like 1

The first time I saw ice cream being served on a slice of bread, it turned me off. I was in Singapore, my first 'tourist' visit to S.E. Asia, and it was a street vendor selling it. I watched as he took green, blue, or pink slices of bread from the loaf, scooped some ice cream on top and handed them off. The people eating it seemed to enjoy it.... I pushed aside my mental objections and bought some. The bread was much sweeter than what I was expecting. Then I realized that ice cream 'cones' were made of the same stuff, just a bit more crispy.

Toast? Danish pastry? Waffles? Hell, apple pie? Why not? I'll give Volcano a try. I like ice cream!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

As OP didn't mention the price, I'm assuming it's scary, so won't be going.

I didnt mention the price because most everything in CM is cheap- but still folks complain about the price, and argue on here, eg, about Chang promos, all of which are cheap!!!.

Ice cream, many flavours 15 baht a scoop - with FREE topping sauce-one only, your choice!!!

French Toast 27baht. Danish toast- more than enough for 2 people-60baht

And I did say it was packed with thai which may give a clue about the cost right?

And their 'toast' is not what folks on here seem to think. Just try it- it wont kill you and you just might enjoy it. We all did, and judging by their success, they get many repeat customers. But they dont force feed you 'toast' -you can just order ice cream. Up to you......