Thaivisa forum attitude

Dieselnoi

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see anything that is really bad here in Thailand and I have lived here for 30 years.

The two Brits bashed to death with a hoe at Koh Tao?

The police chief saying it was the gay foreigner that did it, cos gays are like that?

The General/PM saying she brought it on herself for wearing a bikini on the beach?

Fitting up two Burmese workers, cos no Thai could ever do a thing like that?

The trial of the two Burmese being forgotten, while they rot in jail ...........

That seems to be quite a lot of 'bad stuff' from just one incident.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I dont see anything that is really bad here in Thailand and I have lived here for 30 years.

What country doesn't have incidents like that? Please don't say it wouldn't happen in the USA as it is a country of nutters who have guns. Yes it was terrible but is that enough to condemn a country? I think not unless you live in Utopia which you don't. Please put things is perspective and don't let your imagination run away with you.

What country doesn't have incidents like that? Please don't say it wouldn't happen in the USA as it is a country of nutters who have guns. Yes it was terrible but is that enough to condemn a country? I think not unless you live in Utopia which you don't. Please put things is perspective and don't let your imagination run away with you.

You said you didn't see 'anything that is really bad' happening in Thailand over the last 30 years.

I pointed out quite a lot of bad things happening as a result of just one crime about 6 months ago.

Bad things happening in another country are beside the point.

Just questioning your powers of observation.

Or are you suggesting rape, murder, homophobia, police corruption, sexism, racism and injustice aren't 'really bad'.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I know this post will either deleted or removed shortly…but after observing the forum this is the attitude of many people on here. For example:

Thais did something bad - Oh Thais are disgusting!

Thais did something good - Wow, why can't they think of that a long time ago- so stupid of them.

Foreigners did something bad and on Thai news - Shut up Thais, go worry about your own problems.

I have read a lot of Thaivisa News Forum and it seems it really doesn't matter what the Thais do, somehow they're in the wrong and get the criticsm- really (approximately) only 5% of the comments are actually encouraging, praises, or positive to the Thais.

I am just amazed at these things that I have observed. I guarantee when you open a news forum the first comment will either be

1. Complaint about the Thais

2. Cynism comment about the Thais

3. Sarcastic comment about the Thais

These are just things that I have observed.

Besides the "Thais are always bad" types of comments, which is indeed the disturbing norm here, you may also notice that farang' critical comments directed at other (thaivisa forum) (criticizable) farangs are not especially well received.

It seems that if 1) You like Thailand and Thais, and 2) you are a "normal" farang (one who is not grumpy, negative, depressed, unhappy...), then you don't really fit here...

On my side, I happily stick around this forum (probably upsetting the nerves of some negative posters in some of my favorite threads).

Keep happy smile.png

Agreed, I do exactly the same! (I think Costas does too.. ) I also noticed - and went through this myself - that when somebody has posted and they only have a history of say, 40 posts or so, they're treated with contempt by the folk with nothing better to do and as such have 70,000 posts. Somebody mentioned this to me, saying "what are you talking about, you only have 67 posts you know nothing" or something (despite the fact I'd lived in Thailand for 13 years or so then) and they were being serious! I did point out that having only 67 posts doesn't mean I know nothing, it means I have 67 posts (I may well not know anything but that's not down to the number of posts!) I do so enjoy coming along and winding-up a few old farts and then alongside of that entertainment, absorbing information or opinions of others!

The police chief saying it was the gay foreigner that did it, cos gays are like that?

The General/PM saying she brought it on herself for wearing a bikini on the beach?

Fitting up two Burmese workers, cos no Thai could ever do a thing like that?

The trial of the two Burmese being forgotten, while they rot in jail ...........

That seems to be quite a lot of 'bad stuff' from just one incident.

You got a point there, how about the policeman murdering tourists in broad daylight, the machete taxi driver killing a foreign guest over a 70 Baht fee, etc... But murders happen all over the world. Think if you would be living in South America or Mexico you would see killings (or get killed) as frequently as you see underage idiots riding illegal motorbikes without lights in the night here in Thailand? Every country has its issues...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You said you didn't see anything bad happening in Thailand over the last 30 years.

I pointed out quite a lot of bad things happening as a result of just one crime about 6 months ago.

No it is exactly the point. Thailand is a country with people and some people are good and some are bad just like everywhere. You cant judge a country based on a few. You have to take an overview and weigh up the good against the bad. If you do that Thailand will look like many other countries. Some things are bad and some things are good but more are good than bad.

What you are saying is like saying I got a speeding ticket therefore the country is bad. Get real about it, no country is without its share of bad things. People getting killed is bad yes I agree but does that make me say the USA is a terrible country because someone got killed? No, I say the people who did it need locking away for life but most people will also agree with that.

A few bad things do not make a country bad

You said ...........

I pointed out your error.

What you are saying is like saying I got a speeding ticket therefore the country is bad.

I never said that, I don't have to pay police motoring fines (or bribes either) in Thailand.

(Not sure if you would class that as a good thing or a bad thing, if I suggested it was a bad thing, you would probably deny it)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You said ...........

I pointed out your error.

What you are saying is like saying I got a speeding ticket therefore the country is bad.

I never said that, I don't have to pay police motoring fines in Thailand.

(Not sure if you would class that as a good thing or a bad thing)

No you didnt you just picked on one thing. The argument remains the same

Most of my comments are of a criticism not of the Thai people but of the various

Thai GOVERNEMENTAL AGENCIES who, if, one day, any of them or their staffs could read English, may learn something. I, and a lot of others, do offer suggestions, many times from professionals -- lawyers/doctors/engineers in previous lives and are ignored virtually always until something bad happens and they create a plagiarized solution.

Seems to me that most if not all the negative and bitching comes from people who have left there "home" country, and all its negative aspects, expensive blah blah, and run away to Thailand, where they then moan and complain how much it isnt like the place they just ran away from w00t.gif

Seems to me, these people need to realise that geography wont fix your attitude, you can run away as far as you like, but you can never run away from yourself !! A problem is only a problem if you allow it to be.

Things can only upset you and piss you off, if you allow them to, in short, look to your own attitude and stop blaming whoever you can for your own decisions.

HEY YOU! Yeah you, OP. You're lucky I'm not Thai, or I'd come over there with my twenty seven buddies and bravely, yeah, *bravely* kick the daylight outta you.

The forum rules are simple: No Racist Comments. Forum members are a race too and you propose to infringe on their free speech against people who are not like them. Give up your quixotic quest.

T

Seems to me, these people need to realise that geography wont fix your attitude, you can run away as far as you like, but you can never run away from yourself !! A problem is only a problem if you allow it to be.

I didn't run away from myself, I ran away from my English wife.

It pretty much fixed the problem.

You said you didn't see 'anything that is really bad' happening in Thailand over the last 30 years.

Or are you suggesting rape, murder, homophobia, police corruption, sexism, racism and injustice aren't 'really bad'.

You are going to take this one incident and beat it to death every chance you get.

Doesn't matter what the thread is about you'll find a way to put the Koh Tao murders in.

Give it a rest. It's old news.

You are going to take this one incident and beat it to death every chance you get.

Doesn't matter what the thread is about you'll find a way to put the Koh Tao murders in.

I could have chosen a democratically elected government overthrown by force, but too many forum members seem to think that was a good thing.

Or I could have chosen a policeman being dragged to his death by a rich drunken guy driving a Ferrari (hard to deny that one).

The two tourists shot by a drunken policeman in Pai (too long ago, policeman still free)

There are many examples I could have used, it's just the KT incident contains so many 'really bad' things in one incident, and is so famous, that it's the obvious one to use (and the case is still ongoing).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I could have chosen a democratically elected government overthrown by force, but too many forum members seem to think that was a good thing.

Or I could have chosen a policeman being dragged to his death by a rich drunken guy driving a Ferrari (hard to deny that one).

There are many examples I could have used, it's just the KT incident contains so many 'really bad' things in one incident, and is so famous, that it's the obvious one to use.

Or you could have mentioned the soldier being hacked to death in London but you had the grace not to

bully for you pal you are absolutely correct living in someone elses country one should not be critical of its inhabitants learn to live with them we know everyone has faults I have lived in this country for 20 years I get on well with the thai people around me no problems .

There are many examples I could have used, it's just the KT incident contains so many 'really bad' things in one incident, and is so famous, that it's the obvious one to use.

Or you could have mentioned the soldier being hacked to death in London but you had the grace not to

That wouldn't really have been relevant to your post,

As you didn't claim nothing really bad had happened in the UK during the last 30 years.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

That wouldn't really have been relevant to your post,

would illustrate that really bad things happen in other countries. Thailand is not Utopia it is a working country

Have to agree with most of that.

Many of the farangs who post on these forums sound like they are being held here against their will.

It is NOT "many of the farangs" at all, it's some of them, TV has thousands of members not hundreds, it's the Thai bashing brigade a few dozen members maybe, always the same, when I see some avatars I know in advance it will be the same old story with many many likes, also from the same ones.coffee1.gif

Have to agree with most of that.

Many of the farangs who post on these forums sound like they are being held here against their will.

It is NOT "many of the farangs" at all, it's some of them, TV has thousands of members not hundreds, it's the Thai bashing brigade a few dozen members maybe, always the same, when I see some avatars I know in advance it will be the same old story with many many likes, also from the same ones.coffee1.gif

Same for the apologists, also with many likes from the same ones.

I know this post will either deleted or removed shortlybut after observing the forum this is the attitude of many people on here. For example:

Thais did something good - Wow, why can't they think of that a long time ago- so stupid of them.

Foreigners did something bad and on Thai news - Shut up Thais, go worry about your own problems.

I have read a lot of Thaivisa News Forum and it seems it really doesn't matter what the Thais do, somehow they're in the wrong and get the criticsm- really (approximately) only 5% of the comments are actually encouraging, praises, or positive to the Thais.

I am just amazed at these things that I have observed. I guarantee when you open a news forum the first comment will either be

They need somewhere to vent their anger where they can hide their identity behind a key board

Also I just don't understand why if people dong like the Thais or the system then then cN always leave. Just a bunch of moaners cause they bored and bitter

I know this post will either deleted or removed shortlybut after observing the forum this is the attitude of many people on here. For example:

They need somewhere to vent their anger where they can hide their identity behind a key board

Also I just don't understand why if people dong like the Thais or the system then then cN always leave. Just a bunch of moaners cause they bored and bitter

It would be good for all of us if those who dont like Thailand pack their bags and go home to the paradise they left

It would be good for all of us if those who dont like Thailand pack their bags and go home to the paradise they left

Do you equate mentioning something 'really bad' that happened in Thailand with not liking living in Thailand?

Do you equate mentioning something 'really bad' that happened in Thailand with not liking living in Thailand?

No I dont. But many feel there is nothing right in the country so why stay? If you hated a job you would leave this is no different

I may sometimes say something negative, though I try to keep it to myself if I can, and just make jokes or maybe even provide useful information on occasion (oh the horror of it all). Ask me about my home country though and it would be a splurge of expletives. Kind of a rock and a hard place. On balance I like it here, but I wouldn't 'smy' and pretend it's flawless.