Hay Yai / Songkhla2

amdy2206

Am thinking of having a holiday in the south in Hat Yai or Songkhla area at the start of June. There is not a lot of information about this area and would be interested to hear any comments about this part of Thailand. There would be myself, wife and a 2 1/2 year old boy. Any comments greatly appreciated.

I spent a lot of time in Songkhla in the past as well some time in Hat Yai. I don't like Hat Yai as it's inland, while Songkhla is a sea city and they have some nice beaches (Samila peach) and cheap fresh seafood, there's some good night life spots (which you'd probably want to avoid if you're coming with your wife and a boy). They also have a huge aquarium complex built by Chevron. But there aren't any big shopping malls (but many local clothes, food, etc markets) so if you like to go shopping Hat Yai might be a better choice.

I'm not looking for big shopping malls, just a quiet relaxing time. Local markets are fine. As long as the beach is good, and there are a few places to go to will be happy. Any suggestions of good/sensible hotels - not the most expensive, or cheapest. Something reasonable in the middle. Thanks for any info.

I'm not looking for big shopping malls, just a quiet relaxing time. Local markets are fine. As long as the beach is good, and there are a few places to go to will be happy. Any suggestions of good/sensible hotels - not the most expensive, or cheapest. Something reasonable in the middle. Thanks for any info.

I always stayed at the Pavilion hotel and it was good but not the cheapest from what I remember, but my company paid for it. Pavilion is close to markets and night life, beach is about 1-1.5 km away about 3 km to the Samila beach. There is a Samila resort near the Samila beach, it's right on the beach, there's some parks nearby and not too far from the aquarium, a few restaurants but not much else. Stayed once at the green hotel which was nice but nothing near it of interest. That's all I can say, it's not a huge city and pretty quiet.

I used to take my family down-South for holidays, Hat Yai is very good for the shopping (all the bus-loads of Malaysian-tourists at week-ends), and the beach at Songkla is OK, but not wonderful, it's not Koh Lipe or Lanta !

I'd recommend the BP Samila Beach, which is right on the beach (at the North end), although it does get a lot of government-conferences.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/bp-samila-beach-and-resort.en-gb.html?sid=6acae7e7e999891518b117dd4b7c4ca8;dcid=1;dist=0;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_age=0;req_children=1;srfid=a9b82466ede3906420a3ebadcf096c4c13c15a5dX2;type=total;ucfs=1&

Or the Ratchamangala Pavilion, slightly smaller and on the beach, about a mile South of the BP.

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/674105/Rajamangala-Pavilion-Beach-Resort

Both have pools, the latter has a shallow kiddy-pool, but the beach is also shaded by casuarina-trees, so is fine for children !

I recommend Pattani instead. Very charming Thai-Malay town with a mixture of buddhist and islamic influences. Get a rental car at Hat Yai Airport and drive straight to Pattani. The CS Pattani is perfect to serve as your base in the deep south and you're closer to the beautiful beaches of Pattani and Narathiwat and the lush mountains of (southern) Yala. Songkhla and Hat Yai are also no more than a two-hour drive away.

So far It's been my favourite region in Thailand and I heartily advise visiting there

Beware of the security situation though. There are many military check points along the main roads and at the entrance to the towns and villages. A city like Yala sees some armed vehicles and soldiers standing in the streets. They should not bother you, but I wouldn't hang around with them for too long. Same thing near schools, especially around closing time, as teachers are often targets of insurgents. Nothing bad will probably befall you, but it's good to be vigilant.

Also remember that between mid-June and mid-July it's the holy muslim month of Ramadan. If I were in the region during that time, I'd try not to eat or drink too openly during daylight.

Edited by MarcelV

Hat Yai is a big bustling city.Its not particularily attractive and makes Udon Thani seem like Cheltenham in comparison.

However its great for the cheap shopping,delicious inexpensive food and nightlife.

Its also got a few sights worth seeing....

1.Hat Yai Municipal Park....huge hilly park,about 6kms out of town,which has a cable car,lake,temples and ice dome which are worth a look.

2.Phra Maha Chedi Tripob Trimongkol.....the only temple in SE Asia whose pagoda is made entirely of stainless steel.Situated on a hilltop with great views and nice to see in the early evening when its lit up.

3.Floating Market.....cant compare to the floating markets around Bangkok but OK to see for an hour or so.

4.Central Festival.....huge 5 storey airconditioned shopping mall......good for the wife whilst you sample a beer or two at Post Laser Disc in town !

Best hotel to stay in ? Undoubtedly the Centara,which is in a good location,but if thats a little too expensive the nearby New Season is a decent alternative.

Good farang restaurants in Hat Yai.....try Gaps Garten or De Van Cuisine.....theres also a Sizzler in Lee Gardens Plaza along with KFC etc.

Songkhla is 28 kilometres away and on the coast.Its a lot more relaxing here and plenty of promenade to stroll along.The best beach area to stay is Samila beach which has some nice seafood restaurants and small shops selling souvenirs.There was also a nice airconditioned coffee shop that had just opened near the beach the last time we were there about 18 months ago.......beach is not bad but not wow !

Things to do in and around Songkhla.....

1.City tram tour......this is free and takes you all around the city sights in around 45 minutes.It starts from the Prem Tinsulonda museum every hour and the first tram is at 10am,I think.

2.Samila beach.....as well as the restaurants its nice to stroll along and look at sights like the Golden Mermaid and Cat and Rat statues.Theres also a Naga Serpent that has a water fountain coming out of its mouth further along towards the ferry station.

3.Tang Kuan hill......reached by a funicular and only costs 30 baht.Theres a temple,lighthouse and nice views from the top,also a gift shop downstairs.

4.Songkhla Zoo and Water Park......plenty of species to see in the zoo which was refurbished a while back.Spread over a large area and very hilly,so you will needd your own transport to get around.(same goes for Hat Yai Municipal Park).......the Water Park is nice to relax and chill out.

5.Koh Yo.....an island reached by ferry from Songkhla.Nice to enjoy lunch at a restaurant overlooking the water and cheap fabrics on sale here.

Where to stay in Songkhla ? Easily the best location is the BP Samila Beach hotel.Its an older hotel and quality of rooms seems to vary.We had a nice room on the 7th floor overlooking the sea.Nice to hear the sound of the waves crashing on the shore from our balcony.

Theres also a newer hotel called the Rajamangala Mermaid about 1 mile away.It overlooks the sea but the location is not as good as the BP Samila.

Also The Singora which is inland and near to some restaurants and nightlife.

If you get fed up of eating at the seafood restaurants around Samila beach theres an Irish bar/restaurant called Buzz Stop,near The Singora,which has good western grub and draught Guiness.

You dont say how long you will be holidaying in the area but your flight from Udon doesnt arrive till the evening.By the time you have sorted out your luggage and a taxi your first night could be almost gone if you choose to stay in Songkhla.

For that reason I would cetainly consider staying,maybe,2 nights in Hat Yai initially and 5 nights in Songkhla which would give you a chance to visit the sights in both places.

Have a good trip.

I would stay in Songkla everytime over Hatyai especially with a young child. Nice quiet seaside town. No mainstream tourism like Krabi, phuket etc. Nice quiet beach but not stunning. The best thing for me are beachside restaurants. Feet in the sand , bamboo table, sunset, good food, fried peanuts and a chang, old style thai music on a 5 baht jukebox.

Koh Lipe on the other side more stunning but do you want to travel on a rickety overloaded thai boat during a tropical storm in June with a 2 year old. Not worth the risk IMO. Maybe at a different time of the year.

i go once or twice a year an stay at the Samila resort right on the beach

its like 1,500 for a sea view room ( get the 6th-7th floor) can book online

huge buffet breakfast, nice, although small pool, right on the beach where there are locals selling food and stuff, then even have small ponies which will attract ur son.

outside the hotel to the right are dozens of excellent thai seafood restaurants with low key music at some of them.

for 2-3 days its nice and relaxing.

Hat yai has some good shopping but its a city, and fills up on weekend with Malaysians shopping and seeking night time fun.

Town is nice to drive around but all i want is the beach hotel :-)