Anyone Know the Real Answer..?

Do you know the price for a 20 years old car that i want to give ? Thank you.

Buy, maintain and register the car in your name then when the other person has paid it off sell it to them for 1 baht. Take it or leave it!

You will not be allowed to sell for one Baht. There is a list at every LTO with the average price of any second hand car. If your price is to low, they will not accept it, otherwise they would get not "enough" transfer taxes. So you will have to sell - at least pro forma - for a reasonable price and the "buyer" will have to pay the taxes. Happened here in Phuket to a friend of mine who wanted to give away his old car (in very good condition) as a present.

The accountant in my office came to me recently as she stood guarantor for her brother to buy a vehicle and he has failed to pay installments and the finance company have come to her for the full amount of 290,000 baht. At the same time her husband was put under pressure by his father to stand guarantor for his other son (the husband's brother) and exactly the same thing has happened to him and now the finance company is looking for him to repay the loan.

So, as a couple they now owe somewhere in excess of 700,000 baht with a combined monthly income of around 65,000 baht. This is on top of their own, other family commitments.

Act as guarantor at your own peril.

• Like 1

Buy, maintain and register the car in your name then when the other person has paid it off sell it to them for 1 baht. Take it or leave it!

You will not be allowed to sell for one Baht. There is a list at every LTO with the average price of any second hand car. If your price is to low, they will not accept it, otherwise they would get not "enough" transfer taxes. So you will have to sell - at least pro forma - for a reasonable price and the "buyer" will have to pay the taxes. Happened here in Phuket to a friend of mine who wanted to give away his old car (in very good condition) as a present.

Don't have to sell,just transfer names on rego papers and green book.

When I said "Buy, maintain and register the car in your name" that includes rego & insurance. Your sticking you neck out going guarantor, so you may as well do it my way and pay the ongoing costs and have at least the opportunity to claim the car if it ll goes wrong. If it goes right it's between you and the family member, no loss of face for anyone.

• Like 1

BSJ Ways safer i suppose.Also amazing how many Ferangs still get conned with buying in Wifes name,only to find his "Bags on the Step"soon as the Tunas paid off. We all must know a few by now.

Any assets acquired during a legal marriage will get split 50/50 upon divorce, regardless of who's name they're in. However, buying for your mia noi/GF/gik, now that's problematic ;)

And when the Wife puts it in a Family Members name and you find out later like my chum had happen.Brother moved on and no ones seen it since.

That's why wive's cars should always be on finance, and should always be turned for a new model before the current finance completes :P