Finnish tourist beaten up by Britons

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- A drunk Finnish tourist was beaten allegedly by four Britons outside a Pattaya bar late Sunday night, police said.

The Finnish man was identified only as Yenni, 40. A Briton was later arrested after the incident.

The Pattaya police station was informed of the brawl in front of the Party Girls Beer Bar on Soi Talad Tonpho in Tambon Nongplua in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district at 2:35 am Monday.

Police rushed to the scene and found the Finnish with head injuries and a wound on the right elbow waiting for help. He appeared drunk.

The man told police through an interpreter he was assaulted by four Britons after he drank at the bar.

Police had rescuers from the Sawang Boribun Thammasathan Pattaya Foundation perform a first aid for the man.

Police went into the bar to interrogate the people who had witnessed what happened.

Bar patrons and employees told police that they saw the Finnish quarrel with a group of Briton tourists before he left the bar.

The Finnish later returned to bar with a knife and the two sides quarreled again, resulting in a brawl.

The witnesses said both Thais and foreigners stepped in to stop the brawl. They said the incident happened fast and they did not see who injured the Finnish.

Following the brawl, the Britons fled the scene.

Police found the knife in the bar and kept it as evidence.

Police later arrested a Briton who appeared drunk. He cried foul following the arrest, saying he engaged in the brawl but he did not assault the Finnish.

The Finnish and the Briton quarreled again when they confronted each other. Police took both of them to the Dong Tan sub-police station for further questioning.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's true that the Finnish man left and returned with a knife all bets are off. I'd rather be shot than stabbed. A knife cuts a wide swath with a good change of hitting a vital artery or organ.

If that's true about the knife I don't blame the Brits and as reported Thais for stopping the guy. The more the better.

"The witnesses said both Thais and foreigners stepped in to stop the brawl."

If it's true that the Finnish man left and returned with a knife all bets are off. I'd rather be shot than stabbed. A knife cuts a wide swath with a good change of hitting a vital artery or organ.

If that's true about the knife I don't blame the Brits and as reported Thais for stopping the guy. The more the better.

It just shows that ANY nationality can gang up on others and its not an exclusive Thai thing like some foreigners like to believe.

It just shows that ANY nationality can gang up on others and its not an exclusive Thai thing like some foreigners like to believe.

So when a guy leaves to get a knife and then returns you think it should be left as a 'one on one' do you? Anyone going into a bar with a knife with intent to harm could be beaten up by every other person in the bar and it would be fair in my eyes!

Yes, bar fights are scientific proof about the behavior of 'any' nationality. That's why anthropologists like to spend all their time there. coffee1.gif

Seems Brits are just like Thais.. need to have it from numbers. (sorry the standard remark the expats make when its one on many so I do the same) Just to show its not only Thais but also Brits that are cowards.

Well that is a sign of intelligence. Go only into a fight if you are sure that you are win.....

Every Soi dog knows that. Real heros die young.

Seems Brits are just like Thais.. need to have it from numbers. (sorry the standard remark the expats make when its one on many so I do the same) Just to show its not only Thais but also Brits that are cowards.

Well that is a sign of intelligence. Go only into a fight if you are sure that you are win.....

Sure.. but I always read on Thaivisa that Thais are cowards for attacking in groups, I wonder what reasons people have for changing that tune when people from their own country are involved.

Yes, bar fights are scientific proof about the behavior of 'any' nationality. That's why anthropologists like to spend all their time there. coffee1.gif

Actually its proof, facts ect. Its not just Thais.. others do the same thing. I am pretty sure the Dutch do the same thing. But it is always used to bash Thais.. and not so much when our own nationality does it.

Sure.. but I always read on Thaivisa that Thais are cowards for attacking in groups, I wonder what reasons people have for changing that tune when people from their own country are involved.

Rob, it's the circumstances that are important here.

Man leaves, returns with knife intending to harm.many pile in to stop him.

Note that he was not beaten into a bloody pulp, unconscious, dead etc.

When a Thai v Farang, usually several other Thai's pile in with wooden stakes, bottles, home made guns or other weapons.

Often the Farang is left in a very bad way

Rob, it's the circumstances that are important here.

Man leaves, returns with knife intending to harm.many pile in to stop him.

Note that he was not beaten into a bloody pulp, unconscious, dead etc.

When a Thai v Farang, usually several other Thai's pile in with wooden stakes, bottles, home made guns or other weapons.

Often the Farang is left in a very bad way

Sorry i disagree plenty of examples of foreigners doing exactly what Thais do. But the moment foreigners do it there are mitigating circumstances. We are just hypocrites blaming Thais for everything.. calling them cowards stupid ect.. but the moment its one of our own we look for excuses.

Where is Soi Talad Tonpho? Google brings up nothing

Not sure exactly but it could be somewhere near Rompho Market, which is on Jompthien Second Road, across from Soi 5, roughly.

Talad certainly means 'market' and I reckon that Tonpho is just a bad transliteration - or certainly not the one that we normally see.

DM

I witnessed this event and the policeman asked me why I did not help.... I said , I would have But....I thought 4 was enough..! cheesy.gif

the original version by Les Dawson was better....... "I watched 6 guys beating my mother in law in our street the other day, the neighbours told me to help but i said "there's no need, 6 should be enough"

one more for a laugh: My mother in law comes round for christmas every year, but we're doing it different next year,.....we're going to let her in.

Edited by lemonjelly

I really feel you, i do, for it does get a bit tired and old with the constant "Thias are this, and Thais are that" chorus here.

But I have to say you are barking up the wrong tree.

When a drunk person shows up in public with a knife, there is only one rule

All in ... no holds barred ... just finish it quickly without blood on the blade.

I say well done to the Brits (Now THERE is s entence i never typed before!) ... but it does take balls to jump in to handle a guy with a knife.

Actually its proof, facts ect. Its not just Thais.. others do the same thing. I am pretty sure the Dutch do the same thing. But it is always used to bash Thais.. and not so much when our own nationality does it.

Keep in mind your are basing your whole theory on a single event where 4 brits ganged up on 1 guy (who may have been armed, which would justify 4 on 1). There is alot more empirical evidence of Thais ganging up on someone, armed or unarmed.

Children shoot eachother almost daily in the US, on purpose or by accident, as guns seem to be everywhere in the US. However, I am sure the same thing happens once in a while in my home country, where few people have guns. That cannot however justify arguing that my home country is as gun crazy as the US.

Edited by monkeycountry