Price Of Land In Isan

Shrek

Whats the going rate for building land in a desirable semi-rural location say 4 or 5 miles out of town ? Sort of area being bought up by teachers and the like.

That's a bit like saying " What's the price of land in Asia?" Isaan is around 1/4 of a million square kilometers. Prices range from 25,000 a rai out side town to 2,000,000 a rai in Ampeuar Muang, in most Isaan Cities. A lot of chaps go for rural locations, where you can pick up a nice piece of Padi(unraised ground usualy kept for rice farming) for the cheapest price and build it up themselves.

Take for instance Lower Isaan (Buriram,Surin, Sisaket, Ubon) Here is probably the greatest influx of ex-pats, with more and more moving here all the time. In all these provinces there are nice housing estates (a la BKK) being built all around the towns and cities. One can pick up a luxury residence, of have one built to your design, for around 2,000,000 baht.( see properties at link at top of page) All the properties shown have already been snapped up, but there are more in offering, so we are keeping the ad going. Another useful link you can find on the site is Isaan Property Market.

This also caters for land sales.

Hope I have been some assistance.

Whats the going rate for building land in a desirable semi-rural location say 4 or 5 miles out of town ? Sort of area being bought up by teachers and the like.

I agree with everything Lampy has said. I would add that the different tastes of incoming falang and local Thai works in our favour: away from the main road (quieter, more desirable for me) is *much* cheaper than on the main road (better business opportunities from home, more desirable for local Thai).

That's a bit like saying " What's the price of land in Asia?" Isaan is around 1/4 of a million square kilometers. Prices range from 25,000 a rai out side town to 2,000,000 a rai in Ampeuar Muang, in most Isaan Cities. A lot of chaps go for rural locations, where you can pick up a nice piece of Padi(unraised ground usualy kept for rice farming) for the cheapest price and build it up themselves.

Take for instance Lower Isaan (Buriram,Surin, Sisaket, Ubon) Here is probably the greatest influx of ex-pats, with more and more moving here all the time. In all these provinces there are nice housing estates (a la BKK) being built all around the towns and cities. One can pick up a luxury residence, of have one built to your design, for around 2,000,000 baht.( see properties at link at top of page) All the properties shown have already been snapped up, but there are more in offering, so we are keeping the ad going. Another useful link you can find on the site is Isaan Property Market.

This also caters for land sales.

Hope I have been some assistance.

Thanks for your help both of you

Sorry I fella sleep !

I was being ridiculously vague wasnt I

I'm talking about 3 or 4 miles out of Sakhon Nakhon needs raising was paddy

Near to main road and facilities (about 2km) also near to good high school

other plots going to teachers etc very few farang

I think theres also some interest from thai army theres a base a few km away

They want 150,000 Bht per rai

!

That seems very, very expensive for padi. Also take into consideration

1) Is it near a main road?

2)has it electricity

3) has it a telephone line.

My wife bought 10 rai of Padi 5 years ago, in the country, 25 km's from Surin,5 kms from Prasad for 10,000 a rai. It's still Padi now. I think around Surin, close to a road, with electric but no phone, it is between 50,000 & 100,000 a rai. Get within the Muang boundry and your talking about 1.5 million.

if you are planing to build a house on the land etc, i would find out how much to back fill

a rai of land in your area,you could be talking anything up to 100,000 baht a rai just to backfill

if you are planing to build a house on the land etc, i would find out how much to back fill

a rai of land in your area,you could be talking anything up to 100,000 baht a rai just to backfill

Just in case this is useful to anyone :o :

My most recent filling was only 150 baht a truck, a couple of years ago was 185 baht a truck. So reasonable to use that sort of price range for estimating.

One rai is 1600 m2 (as we all know :D )

Estimate one truck as 4 cubic metres.

Then to raise one rai by 10cm will require 40 truck loads, say 8000 baht.

If you need, say to raise by 50cm, that would be 5 * 8000 = 40,000 baht; 1m would be 80,000.

Hi

I've never been any good with mathematics, but if you're going to raise one rai/1600m2 by 1 meter, you will need 1600 m3 of dirt/soil. If there is 4 m3 per truck - you need 400 trucks? :o

Price on dirt may vary a lot, depends on how far away the source is, and how much you want to buy.

1st time, about 2 years ago I paid 150/truck (250 trucks)

Last time I bought only 25 truckloads, different lenght of transport, and the price was 250/truck.

400 trucks x 150 = 60.000 baht

400 x 250 = 100.000 baht

Let your wife/other familymember check around, so you get the cheapest price!

Good luck

Trond

Edited by bergen

Hi

I've never been any good with mathematics, but if you're going to raise one rai/1600m2 by 1 meter, you will need 1600 m3 of dirt/soil. If there is 4 m3 per truck - you need 400 trucks? :o

Price on dirt may vary a lot, depends on how far away the source is, and how much you want to buy.

1st time, about 2 years ago I paid 150/truck (250 trucks)

Last time I bought only 25 truckloads, different lenght of transport, and the price was 250/truck.

400 trucks x 150 = 60.000 baht

400 x 250 = 100.000 baht

Let your wife/other familymember check around, so you get the cheapest price!

Good luck

Trond

Hi Trond,

I agree with your maths - check again and you will see my 40 trucks was for 10cm, so that the OP could simply multiply up as required.... :D

I based my estimates on 200 baht per truck, which was why my 1m raise per rai came to 80,000 - as you can see, half way between your 150 and 250 prices :D

Cheers,

Mike

!

2)has it electricity

My wife bought 10 rai of Padi 5 years ago, in the country, 25 km's from Surin,5 kms from Prasad for 10,000 a rai. It's still Padi now. I think around Surin, close to a road, with electric but no phone, it is between 50,000 & 100,000 a rai. Get within the Muang boundry and your talking about 1.5 million.

Getting more info

Its inside Muang

Electric is near boundary as others have built european-style houses

these 2 rai not filled yet

near main road on small soi 100 metres from main road

!

2)has it electricity

Getting more info

Its inside Muang

Electric is near boundary as others have built european-style houses

these 2 rai not filled yet

near main road on small soi 100 metres from main road

We just filled some land (one rai) for my mother-in-law's new homesite a few months ago and it was a little more expensive than expected. They raised the land about 1.3 meters and it took about 520 trucks from what I was told @ about 275 bHT per truck. I stated that this seemed a little high after the fact. (Not that I could do anything at this point or before anyway :o ) The family stated that the fill had to come from some distance and this is the normal price. Almost seems less expensive to purchase a few extra rai and dig a resevoir in one of them and use the dirt for fill since the fill cost as much as the one rai. In the end it is still only one rai and I do not think that it has doubled in value due to the fill. The land is 10km north of Trakan wich is 45km or so north of Ubon. It seems like no one in my wife's family are good negotiators when it comes to land and construction. They pretty much accept the prices told them initially. I am going to have to work on my wife's haggling skills before we return to build since I will only make matters worse if I open my Falang mouth. :D

Mike in Seattle

We just filled some land (one rai) for my mother-in-law's new homesite a few months ago and it was a little more expensive than expected. They raised the land about 1.3 meters and it took about 520 trucks from what I was told @ about 275 bHT per truck. I stated that this seemed a little high after the fact. (Not that I could do anything at this point or before anyway :o ) The family stated that the fill had to come from some distance and this is the normal price. Almost seems less expensive to purchase a few extra rai and dig a resevoir in one of them and use the dirt for fill since the fill cost as much as the one rai. In the end it is still only one rai and I do not think that it has doubled in value due to the fill. The land is 10km north of Trakan wich is 45km or so north of Ubon. It seems like no one in my wife's family are good negotiators when it comes to land and construction. They pretty much accept the prices told them initially. I am going to have to work on my wife's haggling skills before we return to build since I will only make matters worse if I open my Falang mouth. :D

Mike in Seattle

Mike, the other problem is why raise 1.3m ?? It seems to me that the higher you raise your land, the higher status you have (edit: in the eyes of the locals). Someone I know raised his land over 1m, to me it looks a bit silly and makes a very steep drive way to get up to his plot from the road. You probably could have done very well with half the height - but this is all hindsight.... :D

Good luck with your building :D

Mike

Edited by phibunmike

Almost seems less expensive to purchase a few extra rai and dig a resevoir in one of them and use the dirt for fill since the fill cost as much as the one rai.

I thought that, Papa got a free fishing pond about 100 yards from our property, and we still paid the same price per truck load T.I.T

Incidentally, our house is raised about one meter above the road. The reason stated by the wife "Need to be higher than road, and will go down slowly" .... real reason 'Status' :o

Almost seems less expensive to purchase a few extra rai and dig a resevoir in one of them and use the dirt for fill since the fill cost as much as the one rai.

I thought that, Papa got a free fishing pond about 100 yards from our property, and we still paid the same price per truck load T.I.T

Incidentally, our house is raised about one meter above the road. The reason stated by the wife "Need to be higher than road, and will go down slowly" .... real reason 'Status' :D

I had not considered the "Status Factor" :o It was not a padi by any means since it is the same level as all the other building sites in the village. No worries when it rains I guess though since all the run off from their land will go into the neighbor's house. Considering that this part of Isaan remind me of the Yucatan (flat and hot) a little height is welcome.

Mike

It appears that the cost of the fill is dependent on two main factors:

The quality of the material.

The distance it is being hauled.

Other factors are the origin of the fill (is someone else paying to have it dug out?) and, of course, what the recipient is prepared to pay.

The prices given in this thread up to now are in the right ball park (bht 150 - 250 per 4 wheel truck - 4 m3). I would allow Bht 100,000 per rai per 1.00 m of compacted fill as a budget. I don't know the size of the house you are intending to build but a 3 bed, one storey house and garden would fit in to 1/2 rai so there would be no need to fill the whole rai.

Just one other point; it is advisable to fill the land at least one rainy season before commencing construction.

Edited by jayenram