Phuket bank gives customer counterfeit B1,000 note

webfact

Phuket bank gives customer counterfeit B1,000 note
Eakkapop Thongtub

1430127306_1-org.jpg
Mr Veerachai had gone to the gold shop after taking out B200,000 from the bank.

PHUKET: -- A counterfeit B1,000 note was given out by a Phuket branch of Kasikorn Bank today (April 27). The customer who received it only found out it was counterfeit after he tried to purchase gold and the gold shop owner refused.

At 10:45am, Phuket City police received a call from the Tongtip 2 gold shop on Phang Nga Rd stating that a customer had tried to buy gold using a counterfeit bank note. When police arrived at the shop, the shop owner and a 36-year-old Phuket man named as Veerachai Apicharttrakul were waiting for them.

The shop owner told police, “I suspected that one of the bank notes was fake so I checked it and found that it was. I refused to sell the gold to Mr Veerachai and called the police.”

When questioned by police, Mr Veerachai, who is the son of the President of Rassada District Council, Peerapong Pisitkunanon, said that he and his daughter went to the Kasikorn Thai Kwandindang Branch on Tepkassattri Rd today and withdrew B200,000.

“We came to the gold shop after we got the cash to buy gold jewellery.” said Veerachai.

“I have just come from the bank,” he insisted.

Mr Veerachai then took police to the Kasikorn branch where he withdrew the money. The assistant manager there, Nitnapa Klongjit, confirmed to police that Mr Veerachai withdrew B200,000 from the bank this morning.

He told police that it was possible that a clerk was given the counterfeit note by another customer and passed it on to Mr.Veerachai without checking.

Police let Mr Veerachai go without any charge and will investigate to try to find the source of the counterfeit note.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bank-gives-customer-counterfeit-b1-000-note-52044.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-27

So this guy receives 199,000 real baht, but calls the police for 1000 fake? Why not just refuse the one bill and tell him to go back to the bank?

It defies logic and reason.

Anyone else would reject the single note and tell him to get another one from his wallet in order to avoid losing the 200k Baht sale.

So this guy receives 199,000 real baht, but calls the police for 1000 fake? Why not just refuse the one bill and tell him to go back to the bank?

Anyone else would reject the single note and tell him to get another one from his wallet in order to avoid losing the 200k Baht sale.

Maybe the gold shop owner was afraid at least part of the other 199 notes were just better fakes. I think gold shops are very much aware of counterfeit notes, people using them to buy gold which can be exchanged for real notes at any other gold shop. How often does a shop like that make a 200k sale, makes alarm bells start ringing.

We don't know that the fake banknote was from the bank. It is allegedly from what the buyer of gold says. I don't exclude the possibility that the seller at the gold shop introduced the fake banknote. The police really needs to investigate this thing.

• Like 2

We don't know that the fake banknote was from the bank. It is allegedly from what the buyer of gold says. I don't exclude the possibility that the seller at the gold shop introduced the fake banknote. The police really needs to investigate this thing.

For what purpose?

Clown. Exclude that possibility.

• Like 2

The same thing happened to me but with a USA bank years ago

I cashed a check for 2100 USD at a local bank. I went to use the money and found that one of the hundred dollar bills was fake

Given to me by the bank. I went back to the bank to complain. But of course they did nothing so I called the local police.

They came filed a report and took the 100 dollar bill. Within a few days the Secret Service called me and asked me about

the 100 dollar bill. I told them what happened and they said they where sorry but sometimes this thing happens

I was out the 100 dollars

But my belief is the bank new they had the 100 and did not want to realize the loss so passed it on to me

I was on the short end of the stick there .

Make a long story short I never heard from the Secret Service again

• Like 1

You are making the classic mistake of applying common sense, reason, and logic. Not to mention marketing savvy.

A friend here,,, got a fake $1000 bill here in Bangkok,, from HIS banks ATM machine,, it was perfect,,, watermark and all, except the "foil" stripe on them,,, I suggested he just deposit it at his bank... as it already went through their hands once,,,

Edited by Adeeos

Where does it say the guy turned down a 200k sale?

You are making the classic mistake of applying common sense, reason, and logic. Not to mention marketing savvy.

Agree. You must not use these farang attitudes in Thailand whistling.gif

Is anyone surprised .... this is Thailand. Trust no-one, but how is the average Joe to know. When I withdraw chunks of 100,000 baht all I check is the note counter amount.

That's what I always did until I changed US10k at a popular nationwide chain known for having the highest rates, then took the bundles to BK Bank to open an account. The account lady found a B500 note in one bundle. I didn't think the machine would count a smaller note but it did. There was no recourse, once you leave the counter the deal is done. I swore I would never patronize them again until I figured out that if I went to an exchange with a lower rate I would lose far more than B500. Now my wife and I both count every note.

• Like 1

No big deal. Just about all banknotes are counterfeit, in the sense that their face value bears no resemblance whatsoever to their real worth. It has been reliably estimated that only three per cent of fiat currency now circulation is actually backed by a tangible asset.

Not only that, but many of household name banks are technically bankrupt and kept afloat only by massive injections of cheap digital money created - literally out of thin air - by the big central banks.

Hence the contemptuously low interest rates offered to savers and the ballooning derivative bubble inflated by zombie bankers frantically playing pass-the-parcel to justify their obscene bonuses.

When the music stops and this bubble, estimated at around a quadrillion dollars, finally bursts the only practical use for old-fashioned banknotes will be to paper the walls or wipe our well-kicked asses.

Now you understand why China is buying gold like there is no tomorrow.

Edited by Godders

I tried to deposit using an adm machine and one 1k baht note kept getting rejected even though it was in perfect condition. I was about to give up when a bank staff came to check on me, after she looked at the note she said it was fake. And then walked away...no big deal apparently.

Edited by maanoi

The table photo shows the notes in the wrappers, like they do when you get a lot of cash. A little bit harder but certainly not impossible to take apart and stick in just one fake bill. But 200,000 is only 200 notes so I am sure the gold shop owner opened each up and counted out and touched all 200 bills.