Traffic chaos as tropical storm hit Bangkok's inner zone

webfact

Traffic chaos as tropical storm hit Bangkok's inner zone

27-4-2558-16-39-14-wpcf_728x405.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok's commercial and financial districts turn chaotic scenes when tropical storm hit the capital late this afternoon, causing traffic chaos, power blackout in vast areas after fallen power poles, trees, huge billboards blocked many major roads.

There were a number of injuries and damages when power poles fell on passing vehicles and flying billboards and roof tiles fall on passersby.

Tropical storm lashed several commercial districts of Bangkok, knocking down several power poles, uprooting several trees, and paralysing sky train services.

Hardly hit was reported in Rajadamri area in front of the Royal Thai Police headquarters.

Several big trees in front of the police headquarters on Rama IV, Wireless, Chidlom, and on Rajadamri roads were uprooted, blocking traffic on these roads.

One fallen tree fell on the elevated sky train route obstructing the sky train service on the Silom route unable to enter Siam Square station.

Thousands of commuters were stranded at various stations of the route.

Meanwhile the rainstorm also knocked down several power poles in Lang Suan, Sarasin, and Ploenchit damaging passing vehicles, and causing traffic in the area and connected roads to a complete standstill.

Many areas also reported fallen power poles, uprooted trees, fallen billboards when tropical storm began hitting the heart of the capital at 3 pm.

Traffic police said they expected worst traffic jams after office hours when office workers return home the evending.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-chaos-as-tropical-storm-hit-bangkoks-inner-zone-2

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-27

• Like 1

The writer of this article really needs to understand the difference between hardly hit and hardest hit.

when tropical storm hit the capital

The writer of this article needs to understand what a tropical storm is.....what hit Bangkok wasn't a tropical storm rolleyes.gif

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/list_warning.php

It was indeed a topical storm, hitting hard in specific areas and hardly hitting adjacent localities.

Thankfully, high winds don't seem to happen all that much here in Bangkok. But because of that, I suppose it doesn't take much when we do have a severe windstorm for weak trees to be uprooted and felled.

It wasn't a tropical storm! It was a sporadic violent thunderstorm. A tropical storm is an intense low pressure wind system which usually forms over the oceans. Bangkok was not hit by a low pressure system, but by a thunderstorm that was caused by cloud convection.

It was a storm. This is the tropics.

QED.

• Like 2

The fallen tree that blocked the skytrain must have been very big. I don't recall that ever happening before.

It was a majestic old Jarmjuree tree I believe. A very beautiful tree, but the root system doesn't delve deep if surface water is available. Regular and heavy pruning is essential.

• Like 2

flying billboards or pieces of them seem more of a threat/problem than trees.

Power poles can be inspected and reinforced where needed as can billboards. Ok trees may be somewhat more diffcult to assess their sturdness, but the billboards and power poles are being ignored by those who are responsible for maintaining the standards they must meet for instalation/building.

Put the blame where it should be, on those people that should be held responsible, for maintaining the systems in a safe manner, not a rain storm/front moving through.

Looks like not much fun in Bangkok

It was the typical kind of Thai storm... Here in my area of central BKK, it rained quite hard and was very windy for about 30 minutes.

After that, it stopped and the rest of the day was fine. Went out for exercise about 5 pm and it was very pleasant outside.

But obviously, not so much so if one was stuck in street traffic because power poles and trees were knocked down.

So what was the difference between today and any other day, Bangkok always has traffic chaos

Today we also had chaos on the BTS for those trying to avoid the roads. I got to Siam station at about 4:30pm and you could barely move with everyone who wanted to use the Silom line backed up outside the gates. There where no notices outside the station and inside you could barely hear the infrequent announcement over the loud speakers. Mostly it feel on one poor member of staff at the gate to tell people sorry no train for you go to the ticket office for a refund.

Driving from Prachachuen to Lad Phrao and home again took twice as long, late today.

I hope we don't see a repeat of the great flood.

Saturday afternoon there was a huge but brief storm in extreme Western Bangkok--but nothing in central Bangkok. Today, central Bangkok got hit and nothing happened out West. These storms appear to be very localized, albeit intense. I've seen this pattern plenty of times during April/May in the past. By themselves, I doubt that they are a harbinger of the repeat of 2011.

Power poles can be inspected and reinforced where needed as can billboards. Ok trees may be somewhat more diffcult to assess their sturdness, but the billboards and power poles are being ignored by those who are responsible for maintaining the standards they must meet for instalation/building.

Put the blame where it should be, on those people that should be held responsible, for maintaining the systems in a safe manner, not a rain storm/front moving through.

I seem to remember about 3 years ago when some billboards collapsed killing someone they were all going to be checked. I don't know if that happened.

TROPICAL STORM
Trees block Sarasin Road after storm

The Nation

30258885-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A STORM that ripped through the heart of Bangkok yesterday uprooted many trees in the Sarasin Road area of the city and blocked the tracks of the BTS Skytrain's Silom Line.

The BTS had to suspend its service temporarily as it waited for relevant agencies to remove the trees. Passengers were asked to get off trains at Siam Station while the tracks were cleared. As of press time, services had resumed. Inbound lanes of Rama I Road, which runs near a portion of the BTS, were also closed to traffic for safety reasons. The storm also brought down an electricity pole on Sarasin Road, damaging many vehicles. Traffic on the road was blocked to motorists as of press time last night.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Trees-block-Sarasin-Road-after-storm-30258885.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-28

I seem to remember about 3 years ago when some billboards collapsed killing someone they were all going to be checked. I don't know if that happened.

Another crackdown, purge etc that never happened ?