Traffic chaos as tropical storm hit Bangkok's inner zone

webfact

whistling.gif Yes, it wasn't a "tropical storm" but it was a lot of rain in a short time from a thunderstorm.

I saw the rain from my 6th floor apartment. A lot of water fell in less than an hour.

To tell the truth I've seen harder rains in Bangkok in the past years, but this storm was impressive enough.

Watching it from my residence near Ratchada Fortune Town mall.

Some nice lightning strikes on nearby buildings.

Monday afternoon from about 1400 to 1500 afternoon.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The writer of this article really needs to understand the difference between hardly hit and hardest hit.

when tropical storm hit the capital

The writer of this article needs to understand what a tropical storm is.....what hit Bangkok wasn't a tropical storm rolleyes.gif

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/list_warning.php

No he doesn't.

Most couldn't care. I bet you don't know the different types of storm in Thai.

I have a funny feeling that this will be the return of the 2011 floods........

Noah want that.

Flooding happens usually in October - 1995 was a huge flood - I was waist deep(and I ain't a midget) in central Bangkok on main roads and all roads near the river.

Looking at the storm photos, it's clear to see that it's time to get cracking and bury the power lines. Yes, it's a big job but the sooner you start the sooner it will be done. And, you too, Pattaya! Take a cue from Singapore. Drove through Bangkok before the storm yesterday and traffic was already bad on the freeway I was on--mainly caused by having to come to a grinding stop three times after relatively short distances to pay small tolls. Now that it's the 21st century, why doesn't Bangkok adopt the toll system where you pay when you get on or off a tollway rather than while you are driving at high speed on it? The traffic would move so much better and it's so much safer.

Why ask why?

To all you know alls and bar stool experts It was a tropical storm. It was a storm in a tropical country with heavy rain, powerful winds and the acconpanying thunder and lightening. This constitutes a tropical storm.

From the bar stool experts at the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml#TROPCYC

Tropical Storm: A tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind speed (using the U.S. 1-minute average) ranges from 34 kt (39 mph or 63 km/hr) to 63 kt (73 mph or 118 km/hr). Tropical Cyclone: A warm-core non-frontal synoptic-scale cyclone, originating over tropical or subtropical waters, with organized deep convection and a closed surface wind circulation about a well-defined center.

Do please remember that there is a difference between a Tropical Storm (as defined in Bubba's post above) and a tropical storm (a storm in the tropics as noted by elgenon) smile.png

What we had was a tropical storm.