Soi Cowboy

rocketboybkk

It might be surprising to some who hold their noses abnormally high, that there is more to be found in the people -- women included -- than some sightseeing adventure at a nature preserve or temple. Of course focusing one's time on women has side benefits as well.

The people outside the sex bar areas are interesting too. And there's more of them.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of like how I knew a guy who'd been to Bangkok four times and he'd never left Khao San Road (genuinely).

That's really quite impressive. Everyone else has to slog to and from the airport, but this guy has his own helicopter and has it land right on Khao San Road - must have been quite a sight.

But a lot of people never do venture further. You can see it in the favourite bars thread- it's all Soi 4 this and Soi 4 that. Which is fine I guess, I'd want to stick a nail through my skull if that was me but it's horses for courses and whatever makes you happy, some people just want to be eternal tourists and have no real interest in the city beyond it's red lights. It's kind of like how I knew a guy who'd been to Bangkok four times and he'd never left Khao San Road (genuinely). Which to me is nuts. To him it was Thailand.

Let's be thankful Soi 4 exists.

Can you imagine those degenerates dropping by for a day's drinking on Thonglor or a leisurely cocktail or twenty at RCA?

But a lot of people never do venture further. You can see it in the favourite bars thread- it's all Soi 4 this and Soi 4 that. Which is fine I guess, I'd want to stick a nail through my skull if that was me but it's horses for courses and whatever makes you happy, some people just want to be eternal tourists and have no real interest in the city beyond it's red lights. It's kind of like how I knew a guy who'd been to Bangkok four times and he'd never left Khao San Road (genuinely). Which to me is nuts. To him it was Thailand.

Can you imagine those degenerates dropping by for a day's drinking on Thonglor or a leisurely cocktail or twenty at RCA?

But if it didn't, maybe they'd all piss off to pattaya.

I'm stealing the quote but it totally reminds me of that that bar scene in star wars.

OB

But if it didn't, maybe they'd all piss off to pattaya.

That's a fair point....but then who would we laugh at?

Cowboy is very clean and sterile feeling. Feels like going into an upscale mall.

You're kidding, right?

Did you get confused and go over the road into Terminal 21?

No I'm not kidding. Gogo type venues in thailand feel very commercial to me. Kind of like safe Disneyland rides with attractive attendants or automated figures chatting nonsense and spinning around.

Everything is just a little too perfect and nice, if that makes any sense.

Edited by fey

lower Sukhumvit has been mostly ruined by people, who are/were good at fraud, but don't seem to know how to run a successful business. I've gone to Nana off and on for 17 years...every time for the last five years; it seems to be at a new low. I've never seen more ladyboys, anywhere.

lower Sukhumvit has been mostly ruined by people, who are/were good at fraud, but don't seem to know how to run a successful business. I've gone to Nana off and on for 17 years...every time for the last five years; it seems to be at a new low. I've never seen more ladyboys, anywhere.

An increase of ladyboys could mean an increase in German tourists. If it's on the menu someone is ordering.

An increase of ladyboys could mean an increase in German tourists. If it's on the menu someone is ordering.

A german, a cop, and a stuttering student trying to order a bratwurst frankfurter is all a man would ever need.

At least thats what I'm told.

It's the ladyboy bars that are making money, so hardly surprising that there are more of them.

and are you pretending that you don't go for the ladyboys

Had two Korean contractors go there last week. They told me that prices were the same or higher there than in Korea... Hahaha.... Shoot yourself in the foot I guess. The decline of this country is due to greed in all areas and not just Thai.

"The decline of this country is due to greed in all areas and not just Thai. "

Not sure what's declining (outside of your imagination) but Soi Cowboy is hardly a barometer for the country as a whole. If you're referring to economic stability, when it comes to greed and its consequences, I would guess the Eurozone is leading the way at the moment after a pretty impressive display from the US, Japan and a few other countries now struggling to recover from their self-inflicted damage.

+1

The boiler room operators have completely destroyed Sukhumvit nightlife.

They overpaid for the Nana Plaza master lease and tripled the gogo bars' rents so they could pay back the loans they took out more quickly and it seems to be backfiring.

They took over Q Bar, Insomnia (now Insanity), bought a share in Levels and other establishments and now run them like accountants. "Keeneow" drinks measures and high prices. Only Levels and Baccara on Soi Cowboy are going great guns. The rest of them are struggling on all but Fridays/Saturdays. Doesn't really matter though. They're there to launder the cash from their investment scams

We'd still have the backpackers.

Back packers have becoming here for decades. Retirees just the last 15 years.

And your point is?

His point is, don't go slagging backpackers when perhaps the likes of yourself are just an armchair critic...an ageing average ex pat.

Most backpackers by and large tend to have more fulfilling lives than most B grade ex pats that settle for less here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And your point is?

His point is, don't go slagging backpackers when perhaps the likes of yourself are just an armchair critic...an ageing average ex pat.
Most backpackers by and large tend to have more fulfilling lives than most B grade ex pats that settle for less here.

Are you A Grade then?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I prefer to do my happy hour drinking in a normal bar.

But there are normal bars all over the world. Drinking in a gogo bar (or as we usually do, sitting outside on the terrace watching the comings and goings) is a uniquely Thai.

beach club cafe Kuala lumpur crazy.gif

I love the responses regarding greed having spoilt soi cowboy. Yes, those pesky impoverished, uneducated single mothers demanding more than 500 Baht to give their bodies to complete strangers...darn them, the greedy tarts!

Ooh, and can you believe a Singha is 80 Baht these days. Daylight robbery I tell you! ....

What sort of world do we live in.

Edited by kennypowers

Luv Soi Cowboy..

If ya don't like it there don't go..

But I don't give a Hoot, Nuff Said..

Cheers

I detest the place, so I don't go there. Generally, its full of tarts and male fools. 'Nuff said about this sh*tthole

CH, are you not another one of the old geezers with the impoverished younger girl?

In answer to your question CH, go back to another thread where we had a similar discussion for your answer.

Don't you remember...or is memory loss setting in?

I love the responses regarding greed having spoilt soi cowboy. Yes, those pesky impoverished, uneducated single mothers demanding more than 500 Baht to give their bodies to complete strangers...darn them, the greedy tarts!

Ooh, and can you believe a Singha is 80 Baht these days. Daylight robbery I tell you! ....

What sort of world do we live in.

We can't talk about the first part in here but I heard a bottle of Singha is now generally 170-180 Baht outside of happy hour? This is nearly 5 euros, crazy!

Ladydrinks are probably 200+ now? Anyone know?

And your point is?

I was just making a joke. I'm no aging expat, thanks. I've done my share of backpacking myself, and I still strap one on from time to time. I'd rather hang out with the backpackers than a load of miserable old farts.