Extremely confused after visiting Immigration office yesterday (Samut prakan)

Hi All,

Short synopsis of history:

- Began internship in Thailand 13th February, via Thai consulate in Amsterdam, Netherlands obtained single entry ED visa via their 'internship procedure'. Had to provide proof of my university in Netherlands and proof of the Thai company that they will take me. The proof included registration of ministry of commerce and such for Thai company and proof of my Dutch university that I am a student.

- Presumed the visa was for 90 days, and I had to extend my visa every 90 days just like many of you at language schools and such.

- Learned via this forum an extension based on internship is impossible (no mention in police order), I contacted my boss about this.

- Went to Samut Prakan immigration office yesterday with help of a (friend of a friend) police captain to try to extend anyway or convert my visa to Non-B

They tell me there, it is impossible for them to extend my ED visa with 3 months because I am not in Thai education institute, they would need proof of registration and marks et cetera. ( they think my consulate made many mistakes). We try to convert my ED visa to Non-B but I do not have enough time to do work permit and such because my first initial 90 days expire on 13th of May.

After many discussion they tell me I don't have to worry, I can simply leave the county when my first 90 days expire, come back and get a new stamp for another 90 days because my visa is actually 1 year (even though it is single entry, and I was convinced it was only a 90 day visa?). According to them I do not need to change visas, get tourist visa or any of that.

I asked them multiple times and about even the boss there confirmed that this would be no problem.

EDIT: The Visa states: Date of issue: 3th February 2015. Enter before: 6th May 2015. "USED 13th February 2015 stamp

Does anyone have experience with this or some insight? I am scared if I do a simple border run without visiting a foreign embassy or consulate I will be denied because my visa is expired.. The information I am receiving form sources like Thaivisa, my consulate, and the immigration office appears to be very conflicting sad.png

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by Juliandu

Unless there is something I do not know about ... unless there is a 'M' written or stamped on your Visa Sticker in your passport it is not Multiple Entry. I hope other posters come along to clarify.

EDIT: You also should have very clearly a Expiry Date or Enter By Date ... one year out .. .if the term of the Visa is one year.

Edited by JDGRUEN

Unless there is something I do not know about ... unless there is a 'M' written or stamped on your Visa Sticker in your passport it is not Multiple Entry. I hope other posters come along to clarify.

EDIT: You also should have very clearly a Expiry Date or Enter By Date ... one year out .. .if the term of the Visa is one year.

I can confirm that it is single entry, an 'S' is stamped on it at 'No of Entry'.

Just before I left and I asked about entries the immigration officer mentioned that she would recommend I get a multiple re-entry stamp 3900 baht. It was unclear to me whether she meant I do this before or after I leave the country, plus I thought that this stamp won't be valid after my initial 90 days anyway.. which would be a waste of money since it is quite expensive

ํYou certainly will not get another 90 day entry from your visa.

A re-entry permit would do not good because it would only be valid to your current permitted to stay date.

You could try to get another single entry non-ed visa in Vientiane. They do mention internship on the website in their required documents for a ED visa. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/ But you should contact them to confirm what they want.

If not then a tourist visa is your best option.

• Like 1

A re-entry permit would do not good because it would only be valid to your current permitted to stay date.

You could try to get another single entry non-ed visa in Vientiane. They do mention internship on the website in their required documents for a ED visa. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/ But you should contact them to confirm what they want.

It is is crazy I'm getting told wrong information by the immigration officers themselves actually..

I think tourist visa will be the best option, I have no prior tourist visas so I should be alright.

From Bangkok, which easy and cheap way do you recommend to get a tourist visa for at least 90 days?

From Bangkok Vientiane is the best choice. You apply the morning of one day and get your passport back the next afternoon.

Thanks Ubon joe you are of great help to me in the last few days :)

A double entry tourist visa is valid for 60 days right? With a possible 30 day extension.

Btw I am planning on going to cambodia around the time my 60 days will expire, will this matter in any way?

If volunteering is is considered working and requires a work permit would not doing an internship also potentially be considered working and have the same requirement? Would interning and being on a tourist visa not open yourself up for trouble then? Maybe an expert can weigh in.

I have had terrible personal experience at Samut Prakarn immigration and will never go there again. The Captain you speak of is extremily rude and just a plain mean person. When my 80 year old Mom was visiting and we went to extend her visa, he yelled at me saying because I live in Bangkok we had to go to Chaingwattana even though it clearly says on the immigration any immigration office can extend. So I said fine where's the nearest hotel in Samut Prakarn. His staff then intervened and gave her the extention.

It is is crazy I'm getting told wrong information by the immigration officers themselves actually..

I think tourist visa will be the best option, I have no prior tourist visas so I should be alright.

From Bangkok, which easy and cheap way do you recommend to get a tourist visa for at least 90 days?

Sorry to hear you are having problems OP. Yes, it is crazy, but it is their modus operandi. Wrong, unclear, or incomplete information is more the rule than the exception with Thai Immigration and consulates abroad.

OP, Welcome to Thailand where "yes" is not always "yes" it can mean anything. No is not always "No" Immigration is a world of itself.

Everyone interprets the rules as to how they feel that day. In a good mood all is good, bad mood it's a nightmare for you.

As suggested best is to contact the consultant in Laos. You can reach them at +856 21 453916 but they are only available in the afternoon after 13:30.

Explain to them you have a single entry Ed visa for an internship and your 90 day permission to stay is ending. You went to immigration and they can't extend your permission to stay

and advised for you to leave and return but you are on a single entry and worried you wont be able to return and get another 90 days.

So you think the best is to come to Laos to get a new visa. Ask then what documents do you need to get a Ed visa for internship to complete your time in Thailand or should you get a different visa maybe a "B" visa.

Don't over talk, giving them too much information just stick to the facts, don't say anything bad about immigration in BKK. It may get frustrating speaking to them, but stay calm and be polite don't get upset.

In Thailand showing anger or getting upset in most cases results in a shut down from the Thai's.

I have dealt with the consultant a few times in the past and they have always been extremely helpful. I had an issue one time missing some documents and got them

on the phone with my office and all was resolved. When you go to the consultant don't show up dressed as if you were going to the beach, dress smart, be polite.

You will need to drop off you paper work and passport in the morning (before 12) the first day and pick up in the afternoon the next day (after 13:00).

There are touts outside of the consultant saying they can get you this visa, that visa just tell them no thanks and do it yourself. Get the cell phone to the girl at

the company you work at so if you need anything you can get her on the phone with the staff at the consultant. I used to stay at a hotel down on the same road

as the consultant. It was clean and cheap. Best is if you need anything from your company you can have it faxed to your hotel and have time to walk down to the hotel

get the documents and back to the consultant. I don't trust faxing direct to the consultant. The hotel is Douangprasth Hotel, not sure of the spelling. Think it was about $30 a night.

Hope this helps..

• Like 2

OP, Welcome to Thailand where "yes" is not always "yes" it can mean anything. No is not always "No" Immigration is a world of itself.

Everyone interprets the rules as to how they feel that day. In a good mood all is good, bad mood it's a nightmare for you.

As suggested best is to contact the consultant in Laos. You can reach them at +856 21 453916 but they are only available in the afternoon after 13:30.

Explain to them you have a single entry Ed visa for an internship and your 90 day permission to stay is ending. You went to immigration and they can't extend your permission to stay

and advised for you to leave and return but you are on a single entry and worried you wont be able to return and get another 90 days.

So you think the best is to come to Laos to get a new visa. Ask then what documents do you need to get a Ed visa for internship to complete your time in Thailand or should you get a different visa maybe a "B" visa.

Don't over talk, giving them too much information just stick to the facts, don't say anything bad about immigration in BKK. It may get frustrating speaking to them, but stay calm and be polite don't get upset.

In Thailand showing anger or getting upset in most cases results in a shut down from the Thai's.

I have dealt with the consultant a few times in the past and they have always been extremely helpful. I had an issue one time missing some documents and got them

on the phone with my office and all was resolved. When you go to the consultant don't show up dressed as if you were going to the beach, dress smart, be polite.

You will need to drop off you paper work and passport in the morning (before 12) the first day and pick up in the afternoon the next day (after 13:00).

There are touts outside of the consultant saying they can get you this visa, that visa just tell them no thanks and do it yourself. Get the cell phone to the girl at

the company you work at so if you need anything you can get her on the phone with the staff at the consultant. I used to stay at a hotel down on the same road

as the consultant. It was clean and cheap. Best is if you need anything from your company you can have it faxed to your hotel and have time to walk down to the hotel

get the documents and back to the consultant. I don't trust faxing direct to the consultant. The hotel is Douangprasth Hotel, not sure of the spelling. Think it was about $30 a night.

Hope this helps..

Thanks a lot for the helpful comment, I will call them tomorrow and ask what can be done.

I think this whole system is flawed and frustrating. One just have to take a look at all the articles written here about immigration, visa and problems. I think Farangs should take a good look at the system and either give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. It is too be embarrassing to be treated this way in what ought to be a highly professional undertaking.

A country should have clear cut policies about their emigration , the rights , procedures and exclusions. It is not fair for visitors to be treated this way as though they are beggars for crumbs. We Farangs contribute a substantial amount of this countries financial stability. They must either want our money or don't.

We should not have to be running here running there hearing one thing here and another thing there and get lost and frustrated in the process. If we are approve for a retirement visa that is good for a year why do we have to report every 90 days and fill out so many forms again. It is bad enough to do this every year , not every 90 days.

There are many countries that over retirement benefits for expats. Nicaragua, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Spain Portugal to name a few. They offer excellent medi care, a high standard of living and very affordable. Perhaps it is time that we start to look at those places. We are welcome in with open arms and never have to be humiliated this way in having to obtain a visa as though we are begging.

Having said this I am not advocating that we should be treated any way special. we are subject to the rules and laws as everyone else pay the same price and punish the same way for breaking laws. It is just not right to have to this nightmare experience in obtaining visas.

Farangs come here and spend enough money and it is sad to see they are not encouraged to even practice a healthy lifestyle. they just want you to come here sit in your home and die fro inactivity. you cannot even volunteer which adds and contributes to a healthy lifestyle.

I will just pack in my things here and head off to Portugal where I will not have this hassles and frustrations in my retirement years . life is more relaxed there. no visa hassles and they welcome you.

I have had terrible personal experience at Samut Prakarn immigration and will never go there again. The Captain you speak of is extremily rude and just a plain mean person. When my 80 year old Mom was visiting and we went to extend her visa, he yelled at me saying because I live in Bangkok we had to go to Chaingwattana even though it clearly says on the immigration any immigration office can extend. So I said fine where's the nearest hotel in Samut Prakarn. His staff then intervened and gave her the extention.

I went there once years ago and the dragon lady there (retired now) told me they did not do extensions, after looking at the form they gave me to fill in for one, and after exhausting all other excuses why she could not do it .Told me to go to Suan Phlu even though I lived in Samut Prakan, she just would not do it and had no valid reason, crazy. When I asked why they gave me the form if they did not do extensions and why there was a sign outside saying they did she asked my wife how she could live with an idiot who could not understand their rules. This bloke is an angel compared to her!

If volunteering is is considered working and requires a work permit would not doing an internship also potentially be considered working and have the same requirement? Would interning and being on a tourist visa not open yourself up for trouble then? Maybe an expert can weigh in.

An internship doesn't need a work permit if it is an internship connected to the educational facility as part of your training. But it must be officially reported, but not sure which branch of government: education, labour or immigration.