Saudi king names counterterrorism czar as new crown prince

webfact

By AYA BATRAWY

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Saudi Arabia's King Salman on Wednesday removed his half-brother from the post of crown prince and named his nephew, the country's Interior Minister, in his place.

The post of crown prince secures Prince Mohammed bin Nayef as the most likely successor to King Salman. He is widely known internationally as Saudi Arabia's counterterrorism czar and was previously deputy crown prince. He takes over the post of crown prince from Prince Muqrin.

The royal decree also announced that the king's son, Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has been appointed deputy crown prince. He is believed to be around 30 years old and is also the country's defense minister. As deputy crown prince, the prince is essentially seen as being second in line to the throne.

Also in the reshuffle, longtime Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal was replaced wtih Adel al-Jubeir, the kingdom's current ambassador to the U.S.

The new appointments further thrust a new generation of Saudi princes into the line of succession.

Prince Muqrin, who was crown prince until Wednesday's reshuffle, is the youngest son of the founder of Saudi Arabia, the late King Abdul-Aziz Al Saud. At 69 years old, he once headed the kingdom's intelligence agency, but was largely seen as a transitional figure in his post as crown prince.

Power has passed among Abdul-Aziz's sons, from brother to brother, since his death in 1953. The crown prince and deputy crown prince are both from among a generation of grandsons of Abdul-Aziz.

The late King Abdullah had named Muqrin as crown prince in a move approved at the time by the Allegiance Council, a body made up of the living sons of Abdul-Aziz and some of the prominent grandsons who vote to pick the king and crown prince from among them.

The Allegiance Council, whose work was formalized under Abdullah before his passing in January, was likely consulted about the current reshuffle.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-29

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never any coverage of the daily beheadings in this country by the press. The country is even named after dictator Saud family. American/israeli closest ally, who did 9/ll , but are never criticised

They dont perform executions daily they are actually after Friday prayers. Just for information

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

defense minister and 30 years old?

If you come from the right family you will be given a senior position. Capability has nothing to do with it. The ones I have seen come into their office at 10am, drink coffee and talk with friends them leave. End of their working day

If you come from the right family you will be given a senior position. Capability has nothing to do with it. The ones I have seen come into their office at 10am, drink coffee and talk with friends them leave. End of their working day

You know nothing about Saudi Arabia.... they drink tea.

The rest is correct. :D

• Like 1

it is always quite interesting to read the insights of eggsburts who most probably have never been to Saudi Arabia laugh.png

• Like 1

it is always quite interesting to read the insights of eggsburts who most probably have never been to Saudi Arabia laugh.png

Of course. They have to sign all the work their advisors have done for them as well.

As for the beverages, it's normally a choice of coffee you could clean AC filters with (which tastes like it's already been used for that purpose), or some kind of horrible tea with cardamom seeds in it.

I do my best to avoid both!

biggrin.png

You know nothing about Saudi Arabia.... they drink tea.

The rest is correct. biggrin.png

I spent 10 years there idiot. You have never had Arabic coffee over there? If not I can assume you have only heard of the place

• Like 1

Of course. They have to sign all the work their advisors have done for them as well.

As for the beverages, it's normally a choice of coffee you could clean AC filters with (which tastes like it's already been used for that purpose), or some kind of horrible tea with cardamom seeds in it.

biggrin.png

Not forgetting the mandatory inch of sugar in a 3 inch chai glass whistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 2

biggrin.png

the horrible tea is brewed from slightly roasted beans and added cardamom. a small cup goes nicely with three dates. of course it's all a matter of individual taste. when i had my first sip i felt like spitting it out. later i really enjoyed it and even today i have a few cups on a flight with Saudia.

This was the OP

so why is every body talking about tea or coffee

Am I missing something?

you are missing that rubbish expressions like counterterrorism "czar" can be only compensated by small talk about tea and/or coffee whistling.gif