Window locks for sliding windows?

marrmrrs

Need help!.. Does anyone know where i can have a company or handyman go and buy window locks for sliding patio doors. Just a deterrent!.. I am busy and do not want to spend my time around Home Pro and do it muself..There must be a small security company ot decent handyman who would go to Siam Country Club road who would supply and fit!!.. Its not easy getting small jobs done at times!!.. Thanks in anticipation!!..

What kind of locks are you expecting? Doors/windows that I have lock together or to wall with a built in system which is installed as being built. You can also do the broom handle at little or no cost if they slide inside.

broom-handle-we-used.jpg

The locks i have in mind are just really small deterrents. They are inexpensive and talk minutes to fit. This is for a tennant i have in a property, so am reluctant to tell them to use a broom handle. These locks you can buy on Amazon. There are an abundance of them. Demos on You Tube... All i need is someone to supply and fit.. There must a security company or handyman around?.. Thanks.

Next to the Ford dealership on Sukhumvit road is a shop that makes aluminium doors and mosquito nets. When they made my mossie nets they also fitted locks to my existing sliding doors (hook style).

This was a few years ago but still might be worth a visit.

I expect that most of the aluminium door/window manufacturers will be able to fit additional locks - there are lots of them about.

Not sure what your window looks like, but I use to use small wooden dowels. Slip one on the top of the window so you can't pry it up and out, and another that just lays on the bottom on the part where it slides. I used an old broom handle for that side. Impossible to open the window with these in place.

What kind of locks are you expecting? Doors/windows that I have lock together or to wall with a built in system which is installed as being built. You can also do the broom handle at little or no cost if they slide inside.

broom-handle-we-used.jpg

For some reason most of the doors and windows i have seen slide on the outside making it impossible to use this method . Because i am an old, grumpy and Paranoid man i feel very uneasy about sliding doors sliding on the outside as it is so easy to lock people on the inside and set fire to the house. An irrational fear i admit but it has been done. Also makes it much easier to lift the door out of the slide to do a break and enter. Security does not have to be expensive if a bit of thought is used . Nobody has been able to give me a good reason for having the sliding doors on the outside apart from that is the way it always has been done.

And to answer the OP question - if he can't find the locks that are fiddly to use and usually get misplaced , you can always get two door handles and pop rivet with blind rivets and a bit of superglue on the inside and when the doors are closed use a padlock . Below is an example of what you can use just position them to allow the door to open all the way. Use your own taste for the style of handle and make sure the padlock fits thru both handles or use a small cable and padlock although i would not recommended that.

black-antique-ornate-cupboard-barn-door-

Edited by xen

• 2 months later...

Next to the Ford dealership on Sukhumvit road is a shop that makes aluminium doors and mosquito nets. When they made my mossie nets they also fitted locks to my existing sliding doors (hook style).

This was a few years ago but still might be worth a visit.

I expect that most of the aluminium door/window manufacturers will be able to fit additional locks - there are lots of them about.

Where abouts is the ford dealership on Suk if I am coming up either Pattaya Tai or Klang ? thanks

Turn right at the top of Pattaya Tai. Ford dealership is about 2km on the left (past Makro, which is on the right).

Not sure if the aluminium shop is still there though.

(Don't take Pattaya Klang - you won't be able to turn right onto Suk due to the roadworks).