Thai editorial: The wait for a new constitution grows even longer

webfact

EDITORIAL
The wait for a new constitution grows even longer

The Nation

The coup leaders' roadmap back to democracy is yellowing with age as concerns mount over the draft charter

BANGKOK: -- Uncertainties linger and many questions remain unanswered as the drafting of the new constitution enters its final stage and time runs out on this post-coup government's term in power.

The roadmap set after the coup last May foresaw a general election taking place once the new constitution was enshrined and its laws were being promulgated.

That fostered the belief that the election could come early next year, though more sceptical voice in government predicted April 2016 instead.

Judging from recent developments, however, it appears that both forecasts were overly optimistic. Members of the National Reform Council (NRC) - empowered by the post-coup interim charter to approve the draft prepared by the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) - heavily criticised the document in a recent debate.

They are seeking revisions to controversial provisions, such as a proposal that would allow non-elected citizens to become prime minister.

The draft's authors refuse to bend, standing firm behind such "principles". Yet, without the revisions, a bloc of NRC members might withhold its support for the draft, possibly resulting in its defeat. If that occurs, the provisional charter asserts that the drafting process must start all over again, with all new members appointed to the CDC and NRC.

A group of politicians has meanwhile further fuelled uncertainty by advocating the postponement of the next general election until the new constitution can be made "more democratic".

Any such postponement - and obviously restarting the drafting process - would only lengthen the stay of government of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha in power.

Prayut, who is also leader of the National Council for Peace and Order that conducted the coup, hasn't helped to clear up uncertainties or answer questions.

In response to the politicians' call for a renewed drafting process, he left it up to the public to decide if it wants his government to stay in power longer.

"This will be the matter for people, the whole country, to decide," he said.

"If you want the country to remain the same as in the past, go ahead and have the election soon. I will go. But if you want me to stay on, you should find out how I can do it. You have to help me with this."

As long as those charged with creating and approving the constitution fail in their appointed task, the rest of the citizenry will have to live with these uncertainties, perhaps for many more months, until it becomes clear as to whether we will get a new constitution this year and an election early next year, as scheduled.

Whatever action is taken to clear the impasse, it must be done with the best interests of the people and the nation in mind. And, when the time comes to evaluate the final draft of the new constitution, the general public needs to be formally consulted - through a national referendum.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/The-wait-for-a-new-constitution-grows-even-longer-30259017.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-30

I wonder of all the Brits on here which of us find the UK General Election or Thailand's constitutional woes more bizarre?.

It's really a toss up of which comes first, the next UK government collapses or the Thai election takes place.

coffee1.gif

I wonder of all the Brits on here which of us find the UK General Election or Thailand's constitutional woes more bizarre?.

It's really a toss up of which comes first, the next UK government collapses or the Thai election takes place.

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

At least the UK doesn't have a constitution to cause a delay in elections.

"the rest of the citizenry will have to live with these uncertainties, perhaps for many more months"

Says who or what - Gen. Prayut or Article 44?

The Thai people have already been robbed by the NCPO of their sovereignty, rights, and liberties. What is there to keep them under continued suppression?

The two biggest political parties representing 95% of the 2012 electorate are united against many parts of the NCPO's draft 2014 constitution. Thailand may not have a "Patrick Henry" to lead a literary charge for democratic freedom in Thailand but social media can give every Thai the "Patrick Henry" spirit.

Edited by Srikcir
  • Like 1

coffee1.gif

The UK election is bizarre? At least the people are allowed to vote for which bizarre party they think is better equipped to handle the country and don't have some ill educated military type who thinks he is mentally equipped to do the job because his gun is bigger than everybody else's holding the country to ransom by it's nuts

coffee1.gif

The UK election is bizarre? At least the people are allowed to vote for which bizarre party they think is better equipped to handle the country and don't have some ill educated military type who thinks he is mentally equipped to do the job because his gun is bigger than everybody else's holding the country to ransom by it's nuts

Alwyn

You are of course correct. I should have used 'totally uncertain'. Mind you, if you read some of our tabloids you would think someone in the UK is holding us to ransom.

coffee1.gif

And don't forget how UK politicians can campaign across the country without fear of getting shot. And if they do, they know the police will investigate it.

And do you think people will not be allowed to vote for who they like in the next election - with much more freedom (and less vote buying) than they had before ?. Have you missed the point that this is what the reforms are all about ?.

Just saying anything negative then attaching the Generals name to it does not make it right. I used to do that when I was 6.

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

And don't forget how UK politicians can campaign across the country without fear of getting shot. And if they do, they know the police will investigate it.

And do you think people will not be allowed to vote for who they like in the next election - with much more freedom (and less vote buying) than they had before ?. Have you missed the point that this is what the reforms are all about ?.

Just saying anything negative then attaching the Generals name to it does not make it right. I used to do that when I was 6.

People can and did vote for who they wanted to even with vote buying. My friend was given 300 baht by the reds and the yellows. Didnt make any difference to whom she wanted to vote for.

The money is very welcomed as it is not thought of as vote buying but for travel costs for the voting. Her mind was made up who to vote for and she took both parties money happily.