i have green book but dlt have blocked annual tax/tag.

OK guys i have a shadow 400, it use to belong to a friend who owned it for many years without problems. I have a matching green book, with all relevant matching chassis and engine numbers. i have not been in Thailand for a couple of years and have had the bike in storage. So on my return i have gone to tax/tag as normal at my local shop. They received a letter back from dlt saying the registration number had been blocked. ive dug around a little bit and discovered that they now check chassis number against model of bike, and my chassis number apparently does not tally up with a shadow 400 chopper but to a honda 250 sports bike.

Any sugestions guys.....whats the reality of me driving it without its tax/tag as long as i carry green book. can it be confiscated ?

Tough situation!

First I've heard that particular snag.

Are you trying to get the title documents straight?

What is the year of the bike.

Do you think the book is 100% legit?

Maybe it has been THB-massaged at some point?

Is the new system uncovering dirt?.

An easy thing to try would just go to another local shop and try to process again.

Thai bureaucracy is a game of chance sometimes.

I surmise that police can do whatever they want;

& variable by jurisdiction & whim.

Papa I think Chaz is indicating that the bike has always had dodgy paperwork but they never caught it.when the tax is not registered for years is how they are planning to crush any of the older bikes with green-books that used to work.You have to keep up on the reg. & tax & emissions to have a chance at keeping it legal. To the OP I think it is time to sell this bike as parts. Once the country or any country crushes your paperwork it is an act of God to get it legal again. I had this happen on a car in the states. It was legal. the person I bought the car from left the country I had to file papers to the owner that moved to Taiwan to have him sign of signature.All he had to do was not sign it within 30 days & I would have gotten a new revised title from the DMV. Some wonderful good Samaritan that moved to that address thought they would do me a huge favor & forge the signature. The signature didn't match so the crushed the title. 2 appeals later I never got the paperwork as it was DOA because it was not done legally. I had to buy a car with a blown engine & do the swap & then use the new cars paperwork to resell it.to the best of my knowledge most countries work this way & Thailand is definitely trying to scrap all the older rides for whatever reason. I think it is time to sell. This is why most of the people on TV are now shy about green book scenarios. It used to be easy but not anymore & if you think you can be slick you are up against a computer now that holds all the info forever. & to make it worse I don't think you have the swap option on the parts here anymore. I have seen them confiscate a cruiser in the Pattaya DLT because of mismatched numbers on the frame & the farang just made it harder on himself by becoming belligerent. maybe you can find someone with a blown motor & dump it that way. If the owner has a blown engine He can still swap the engine if the motor is in Thailand & not imported into the country. Countless threads on this subject on TV. But whoever buys the engine best have a clean Green book or they will axe that paperwork as well when he or she does the emission checks that is when they go through the paperwork with a fine tooth comb.

The book is dead & now the bike is useless if you want a legal bike.Once they got your number they got your number. regardless of who is responsible for the original titling. Good luck I feel for you Chaz having been their done that & yes it is way easier to deal with the U.S. than here. I don't believe there is any appeal after they deem it a dead horse. It is just a parts bike now or you can give it to the inlaws out in the countryside in Issan -Buriram or wherever the cops are not pesty in the small villages.

You absolutely have to keep up on the paperwork every year especially when you hit the point where you test for emissions yearly. It sucks but don't get roped into someone selling you some magic snake oil once it is dead & that year bike is not worth up to 200,000 baht to get someone to bend a dead book anyway. Even if you got it done for 120,000 you could just get another bike for that & you still could lose the next year when they run the annual.

papa so naive.

So just ride it and if stopped for no registration, pay on the spot or at station.

Problem is your bike is highly visible and you could be stopped a lot once they know it.

If you get in wreck, maybe big pompom.

Preemptively, maybe try to sell it to a cop, big discount?

Good luck sir.

Quite right papa al, i think the new system, is uncovering the past. im sure in years gone by a donor book must of been used for this bike, as the chassis number on bike relates to a YZ 250 and not a shadow 400. (although the chassis number on the bike does not look like its been tampered with). The reality is that now everyone has a smart phone they just google the first section of your chassis, press search and there you have it, or not in my case, even press image and have an image of the bike they should be looking at.

You can alter the numbers but when it is magnafluxed it will be detected every time. Even if you took a section out & added a new section it would still reveal the repairs done if they were to magnaflux it. in 39 years of being an auto-body man & owner I have refused to work on 12 vehicles that were altered. Here I am really not sure what the law would do if you get caught but in the states no way Jose would I take a chance on my livelyhood on a doctored vehicle serial numbers. I just saw a 110,000 baht shadow that had a real nice custom frame on it with a good book. Best to just bite the bullet & dump the bad news or just keep on paying tickets till some cop fancies your bike & claims it his own as it is illegal. But if your going that route for 50-70,000 more baht you can get a 2009-2011 Kawasaki Ninja or Er6n & be riding in style & never have to look over your shoulders. I myself after 18 years old never cared much for always having to be on the lookout. If it had a current book different. But this one is a dead boogie!

Quite right papa al, i think the new system, is uncovering the past. im sure in years gone by a donor book must of been used for this bike, as the chassis number on bike relates to a YZ 250 and not a shadow 400. (although the chassis number on the bike does not look like its been tampered with). The reality is that now everyone has a smart phone they just google the first section of your chassis, press search and there you have it, or not in my case, even press image and have an image of the bike they should be looking at.

Hang on.

Your OP says chassis number is from a Honda 250 sports bike but now you are saying YZ 250 (which is a motocross Yamaha).

Why you changing your story ?

Edited by Don Mega

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hang on.

Your OP says chassis number is from a Honda 250 sports bike but now you are saying YZ 250 (which is a motocross Yamaha).

sorry actually it relates to a cbr 400. i pressed a wrong digit whilst checking it out. but hey why would i want to change my story when asking for advice. maybe if you have nothing possitive to say concerning the feed, or no knowledge of the question then its better to say nothing.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sorry actually it relates to a cbr 400. i pressed a wrong digit whilst checking it out. but hey why would i want to change my story when asking for advice. maybe if you have nothing possitive to say concerning the feed, or no knowledge of the question then its better to say nothing.

Hang on.

1. What kind of digit changes a cbr400 into a cbr250 sometimes YZ250?

Your explanation makes no sense to papa.

2"why would i want to change my story when asking for advice"

Please share that.

Had the same "issues" a few years ago, but only because the former owner, a "Farang Idiot", tried to change the owner's name by himself and presented the bike at the DLT.

The bike was around real 15 years old, whereas the green book stated an age of 34 years, but at least the manufacturer was correct. whistling.gif

Bike than was blocked from tax renewal.

Bought the bike cheaply and got the issues sorted at another DLT (for a few KBaht)

@OP:

How could the DLT know, that the book belongs to a "wrong" bike, did they inspect it somehow?

How many years is the gap in your tax history? (More than three years?)

PS: I've never seen any Shadow with a legit book, neither 400 nor 600cc.

Edited by Turkleton

How does it work then with having no green book? Assuming a cop does not want to take a payment on the spot, is there a standard ticket for having an untaxed/uninsured bike? How likely is it that the bike would be confiscated (let's assume it's something fairly valuable)?

basicly all legal bikes are now registered on Bangkok computer ,even if book is issued in another province that was to stop illegal registrations from provincial DLT offices with stolen books ,,,any bikes even with green books that do not show up on bangkok computerof the DLT are now deemed illegal its been that way for last 6 years , its taken some time for the authorities to get the act together

basicly all legal bikes are now registered on Bangkok computer ,even if book is issued in another province that was to stop illegal registrations from provincial DLT offices with stolen books ,,,any bikes even with green books that do not show up on bangkok computerof the DLT are now deemed illegal its been that way for last 6 years , its taken some time for the authorities to get the act together

So if I was able to tax my bike in December at the DLT in Bangkok, then does that mean it's legit?

Edited by darkian

So if I was able to tax my bike in December at the DLT in Bangkok, then does that mean it's legit?

YES ,, so long as you have a green book then its Ok as the computer says YES ,,,,