Insurance cover for driving with International Drivers Permit on Tourist Visa for 5 months

ngz

Hi,

I am an Australian currently staying in Phuket with my family on a multi-entry Tourist Visa. We are planning on staying for around 5-6 months across 2 entries (60 days + 30 day extension x 2).

I am interested in renting a car for the entire time we are here, however I cannot find any concrete information regarding the insurance cover for a long term car rental on a Tourist visa with an International Drivers Permit.

My drivers license is a valid Australian license and I have a valid International Drivers Permit (IDP) however some people I spoke with said they thought the IDP is only valid for up to 60 days of driving?

I have researched a thai driving license and understand I can only obtain this if I have a Non-Immigrant O visa, which I do not.

My travel insurance from home states it will cover rental vehicle excess/damage as long as rented from a licensed rental company, however my concern is whether or not the 1st class/comprehensive insurance policy from the rental company itself will be valid as I am on a tourist visa/IDP for an extended period.

I am trying to find out If I rent a car for 5 months, that I will legally be covered in the event of any accident.

Any advice appreciated, the rental companies simply say "yes, 1st class insurance" but without seeing their policies (in english) I won't know for sure.

Thanks,

Thanks Steve, do you know if the 3 months is per entry or in any way linked to the type of visa? Do you have any links/references to where this is stated?

As mentioned, I cannot get a thai DL as I am on a tourist visa.

Thanks again, appreciate the input.

Just to add to this - I came across an old thread of someone asking a similar question, but there is no clear information or links to authoritative sources, just people quoting what they think or heard.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540145-international-driving-permit-valid-only-3-months-a-year/page-2

My concern is of course that in the off chance that I'm involved in an accident at some point across the 2 entries, I want to ensure the insurance is valid.

Additionally I found this on InterNations which states it is 6 months, but again is not really an authoritative source.

http://www.internations.org/thailand-expats/guide/driving-in-thailand-16102/rules-regulations-for-driving-in-thailand-2

Edited by ngz

There are lots of conflicting views and opinions on the requirements to legally drive in Thailand and whether an IDP is a legal requirement.

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are. If you are a resident, however, you require a Thai drivers license. As a tourist, rental car companies, insurance companies and police will all accept your home license. Still, it's not a bad idea to obtain a legitimately issued INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT (IDP) before you leave your home country.

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

• Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
  • The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
  • This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
  • If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
  • In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

• In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand. That period is usually 60 days.

You need to thoroughly check the Insurance Cover which may not be contained within the Rental Agreement. Do not accept the Hirers word. The responsibility to check you have full Insurance cover is yours and not the Hirers.

Another way around this problem may be to hire the car for 60 days, return, then hire again under a new Rental Agreement.

Visually inspect the vehicle for any damage or scratches and take photos from all angles to avoid any claims for damage by the hirer upon returning the vehicle.