ICAO satisfied with Thailand's aviation safety improvement

webfact

ICAO satisfied with Thailand's aviation safety improvement

BANGKOK, 30 April 2015 (NNT) –The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has expressed satisfaction with the solutions to Significant Safety Concerns (SSC) by the Department of Civil Aviation, says Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong.

Speaking after a meeting with Mr.Arun Mishra, Regional director, ICAO Asia and Pacific Office, ACM Prajin said the ICAO was particularly pleased with the country’s newly-improved regulations regarding transport of hazardous material, which has been improved in line with the ICAO’s requirements.

Regarding the issuance of Air Operator Certificate (AOC), the Minister advised the ICAO that the country was in the process of producing manuals of training and inspection, upon which the issuance of AOC would be based. The ICAO, meanwhile, suggested that airlines’ representatives be included in the training.

According to ACM Prajin, the ICAO will continue to support the country’s aviation safety improvement until June 15, when Deputy Transport Minister Akom Termpitayapaisit leaves for Canada to report to the agency on the progress of the air safety revamp.

The ICAO will next year send its experts to Thailand under Universal Security Audit Program to observe security in all areas of aviation including airplanes’ entry into and departure from territorial sky, authentication of passengers and airport security.

The Airports of Thailand (AOT) has planned to set up a working group to address concerns raised by the ICAO after the inspection.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-30 footer_n.gif

Having worked under TSA in the security screening I found Thailand to be lax to the point of being scary. I have several times passed my key chain with my keys attached but on key was an inert bullet not once was it checked even when a screener saw me get it from tray. another time I accidentally packed my pocket knife in my carry on went through security non issue only to find knife in backpack which I handed to lady at check in gate told her what happened figured I'd get third degree nothing happened. So now very careful at what I have on me. Also on xray machines there is a program called tips which adds an item to image several times seen them come up and screener not see it once it was gun I saw it mentioned it to supervisor who looked at image no reaction.

I'm no expert on the jargon. However, reading the OP headline it all seemed done and dusted. However the text seems to indicate that an official appears 'pleased' at the steps Thailand is taking to address the problems. But, any final 'clearance', is still some months away.

• Like 1

To go through "mission accomplished" parties seems a wee bit premature. First steps in the right direction probably, but follow up and follow through are even more important otherwise some people might be surprised next year when the ICAO comes checking again.

Maybe good to check this statement with the ICAO participants of the meeting...

why to check the statements ?

Minister said all is perfect !

So, Thai: all is fine, ok, perfect !

Thai air security save for 100% !

Done in 2 weeks !!