Chiang Mai is hotter than Bangkok this week!

Hal65

I was checking out the temperatures of the bigger areas of Thailand and surprised to see that Chiang Mai is going to be more than 100°F for the next week, which is even hotter than Bangkok. This is very surprising to me because I heard the North was much cooler than the South.

Is Chang Mai known as the hottest area of Thailand during the dry season?

Why is it so hot up there? I thought higher latitudes and elevation meant cooler weather.

re

I was checking out the temperatures of the bigger areas of Thailand and surprised to see that Chiang Mai is going to be more than 100°F for the next week, which is even hotter than Bangkok. This is very surprising to me because I heard the North was much cooler than the South.

here ya go

a screenshot of the predicted weather in chiang mai next week and a pic of doi suthep taken 15 minits ago

dave2

ps .. ban san sai is where the chiang mai weather station is !

post-42592-0-94859500-1430442170_thumb.p

post-42592-0-24140400-1430442201_thumb.j

The night temperatures in CM are definately cooler in CM, after living in Bangkok for 9 years I can verify that.

The night humidity feels like soup

Then again there are 10 m people in Bangkok with air cons going flat chat,countless 1,000's of cars and road side BBQ's

Its 9.30 am now in Hang Dong and my trusty temp guage tells me it 38 in the shade.

Bangkok is near the sea and "benefits " from the moderating effect of a large body of water. Chiangmai is approx 400 mi from the nearest sea, thus having continental climate.