VFS Different Services

Yes, we are advising our applicants not to pay the IHS in these circumstances. To be honest, we have not yet submitted a fiancee application since the IHS was introduced, but that is the way we are going ahead. We should be submitting a fiance(e) visa in the next week or so, and we will let you know what happens. That may not help you at this time, though. Until we are informed otherwise, our view is that the fiance(e) visa is a 6 month visa, and only visas issued for more than 6 months attract the IHS. The advice on UKVI/GOVUK websites is unclear, and we have written to them several times. They have not, however, clarified the situation.

Re your question 1, the steps are, Reason for Visit is "Settlement". Then Visa type is "Settlement". Then SubVisa type is "Marriage"

Re your question 3, you name the children as dependants. The application form applies to the applicant only, so listing the children does not affect the application in any way. Then, in the Additional Information section, and/or in the supporting letter, detail the fact that the children are British passport holders.

Tony M

Yes, we are advising our applicants not to pay the IHS in these circumstances. To be honest, we have not yet submitted a fiancee application since the IHS was introduced, but that is the way we are going ahead. We should be submitting a fiance(e) visa in the next week or so, and we will let you know what happens. That may not help you at this time, though. Until we are informed otherwise, our view is that the fiance(e) visa is a 6 month visa, and only visas issued for more than 6 months attract the IHS. The advice on UKVI/GOVUK websites is unclear, and we have written to them several times. They have not, however, clarified the situation.

Re your question 1, the steps are, Reason for Visit is "Settlement". Then Visa type is "Settlement". Then SubVisa type is "Marriage"

Re your question 3, you name the children as dependants. The application form applies to the applicant only, so listing the children does not affect the application in any way. Then, in the Additional Information section, and/or in the supporting letter, detail the fact that the children are British passport holders.

Tony M

Thanks for the reply. If I don't pay the IHS and it is required what happens when we submit the visa application to the VFS? I'd rather buy it now for the fiance visa application and not need it than need it and not have it.

The 2 questions are "Visa Route" and "Visa Type", there is no "Marriage" option on the IHS application that I can find.

If I choose "Settlement" for the Visa Route then I have the following options;

fjp2mx.jpg

The only option that applies to us is "Unmarried Partner".

I just paid the IHS fee based on a Settlement Visa, Unmarried Partner, 2x British Citizen children as dependants. The cost was $936 for my partner and $0 for each child. $936 works out at over £600 after conversion.

I just paid the IHS fee based on a Settlement Visa, Unmarried Partner, 2x British Citizen children as dependants. The cost was $936 for my partner and $0 for each child. $936 works out at over £600 after conversion.

Are you referring to the IHS page for the visa routes ? Sorry, I assumed you were referring to the visa application form.

If the IHS application doesn't have "Fiance(e)" as an option, then that is, logically, because fiancees don't have to pay it. As I said before, your girlfriend is only your "unmarried partner" if you have been living together for two years. If not, then she is your fiancee.

Did you submit the visa application as an "unmarried partner" too ?

Tony M

Yes, I also thought the same that because there is no fiance visa option that logically it could mean that I don't need to purchase the IHS for a fiance visa, however when we go to the VFS and they demand to see the IHS for this trip I know that logic and right is not going to help us at all. Technically we are getting a 6 month visa but this trip is planned to be at least 3 years so it would make sense that we should pay for it, our application clearly states that we intend to get married and settle in the UK from this trip. If I have over paid for 6 months that we don't need then that is fine, much better than not being able to submit the application later than this week because we didn't have it.

I'll let you know what happens when we submit this application and what they say about the IHS at the VFS.

I understand what you are saying. I don't think it is a matter of "overpaying" by 6 months. I think that you cannot pay the IHS for a 36 month ( 6 months as a fiancee, and 30 months as a wife) visa if you are applying for a fiancee visa ( which is a 6-month visa). You have actually paid for a 30 month IHS ( the IHS for an unmarried partner). Your girlfriend will be issued with a 6 months visa, and she will have to apply for FLR after your marriage. It is at that stage that the 30 month IHS will become payable.

But, you seem happy with the situation as it is. Let us know what happens at VFS, although they will not know how much you have paid. They might inform you that it wasn't necessary, so let us know if they do. Don't forget that you will not be able to explain the situation at VFS, as only your girlfriend will be allowed in ( unless you can talk your way through).

Tony M

A cut and paste service at it's best, as you say Tony I doubt if they even understood, or fully read, the question.

From what I've seen here on the forum I believe it's a copy/paste service, most likely outsourced. I inquired a year ago if my Thai girlfriend living with me ( Dutch citizen) in NL for 1,5 years would be eligable for A) the free EU/EEA spouse visa B) what to show if we'd show up at the Calais-Dover border instead. The answer (from Keiko) was "thank you for contacting the inquiry service, you can check the following government webpage to see if you need a visa (link to the visa check tool)". I sent the question again saying that I was familiar with the tool and webpage but that it was not clear. Got pretty much the same reply again from an other person (also foreign name, that's when I assumed it was outsourced). What help is such a copy/paste service for very specific questions?

I gave up, we are married now so it matters no more.

Edited by Donutz

I understand what you are saying. I don't think it is a matter of "overpaying" by 6 months. I think that you cannot pay the IHS for a 36 month ( 6 months as a fiancee, and 30 months as a wife) visa if you are applying for a fiancee visa ( which is a 6-month visa). You have actually paid for a 30 month IHS ( the IHS for an unmarried partner). Your girlfriend will be issued with a 6 months visa, and she will have to apply for FLR after your marriage. It is at that stage that the 30 month IHS will become payable.

But, you seem happy with the situation as it is. Let us know what happens at VFS, although they will not know how much you have paid. They might inform you that it wasn't necessary, so let us know if they do. Don't forget that you will not be able to explain the situation at VFS, as only your girlfriend will be allowed in ( unless you can talk your way through).

Tony M

On the IHS application there is literally nothing to specify any duration for the fee. It is supposed to be £200 per year but it just tells you at the end the fee is $936 with no breakdown or explanation exactly what you are paying for. $936 is £605 so perhaps it's given me 36 months of cover (??).

If it turns out I have paid and I don't need it now I will apply for a refund after we have the visa.

Will let you know if I find anything out.

Yes KunMatt I think you have paid for 3 years i.e. 3 x £200 = £600. I think this is because the normal settlement visa is 2 years and 9 months which they round up to 3 years + the exchange rate ripoff as you pay in USD.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you referring to the IHS page for the visa routes ? Sorry, I assumed you were referring to the visa application form.

If the IHS application doesn't have "Fiance(e)" as an option, then that is, logically, because fiancees don't have to pay it. As I said before, your girlfriend is only your "unmarried partner" if you have been living together for two years. If not, then she is your fiancee.

Did you submit the visa application as an "unmarried partner" too ?

Tony M

So we just submitted the application to the VFS in Trendy and the very first thing they asked for was the IHS number that I had purchased online. They said without it the application would not have been submitted and we would have to pay again to do another application on another day.

This is for us applying for a 6 month fiance visa.

Do you know what the latest turnaround stats are? They told my partner that the visa would take 3 to 4 months to process but they also didn't know about the 30 day entry rule so I don't know how much they really claim to really know. Do you have the stats for April?

The latest figures for decisions made in April show that 97% of settlement applications in Bangkok were processed within 30 working days.

Remember, though, that past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Thanks.

March's statistics were 90% were done in 15 days and 98% were done in 30 days.

Is there any reason that now we have applied it will all of a sudden take 3 to 4 months as quoted by the service at the VFS in Trendy?

UKVI now direct people to the page I linked to when asked about processing times, but he old advice from UKVI was to allow up to three months for a settlement application to be processed; though often it took less time than that.

I can only assume that the staff at VFS have not changed their advice; which doesn't surprise me.

Of course, the main factor in processing times is the number of applications submitted at any one time.

The number of ECOs is fairly static, the number of applications received isn't and an ECO can only process so many applications per day.

However, things don't really start to get busy until student applications start to arrive at the end of May; so you should be ok for a 30 day turnaround or less.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I started this thread and now I have another question about our UK visa application.

We submitted the application to VFS 3 weeks ago and my partner has just had a confusing phone call from the guy at the UK embassy who is handling her application. He called her to tell her that a fiance visa is only for 3 months, i.e. we must get married within 3 months of arriving in the UK. Is this correct?? I was working on the understanding that we had 6 months to get married.

I stated on my sponsorship letter that we have booked our wedding for October and I supplied the booking confirmation from the local registry office in the UK.

He said he would send an email that we have to reply to but I notice that the Bangkok office shuts at 4pm and he called at 3.50pm and hasn't sent the email.

Anyone have an info about this?

OK, I got the email. Here is the question;

"We would like your confirmation if you and your sponsor prefer settlement marriage visa, or do you really want to apply as unmarried partner?"

Apparently this is because I have booked our wedding for October and they are processing the visa now.

I don't know what the difference between the two visas he's referring to are.

TIA.

I'm now applying for the health service surcharge at www.immigration-health-surcharge.service.gov.uk because we are about to submit the application for a fiance visa.

I'm now at the stage to make the payment but just to clarify a couple of things on the application for the surcharge;

Are this choices correct?

1. Visa Route - Settlement. (No option for Fiance visa)

2. Visa Type - Unmarried Partner

3. Dependants? We have kids but they all have UK passports already. Do they count as her dependants for this surcharge application?

Just wanted to be sure because the declaration I'm about to agree to sounds quite serious!

As we understand it at the moment, there is no health surcharge for Fiance(e) visas. The UKVI Enquiry Service has not answered the question, and have repeatedly failed to do so.

Logically, as the visa is only issued for 6 months ( even though it is a settlement visa), there can be no charge at the application stage. We are assuming that the charge will be impose at the FLR stage, after marriage.

Regarding your point 2 above, a fiance(e) visa is not an unmarried partner visa. That applies to couples who are actually living together in an established relationship akin to a marriage fro at least two years.

Regarding point 3, British passport holders do not need to pay the IHS.

Tony M

Tony,

So is a fiancee visa for the UK a "settlement marriage visa"?

Thanks.

I am confused ( as usual). A settlement marriage visa is a "fiancee" visa.

I have no idea why they have told you that you must marry within 3 months, as the period is 6 months. See here :

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

As I explained before, the applicant can only qualify as an unmarried partner if you have been living together for at least two years in a relationship akin to a marriage. In your case that would mean that you have been living with your fiancee, in Thailand, for at least two years. Does that apply to you ?

If whoever called you from the Embassy didn't explain this difference, and you choose the unmarried partner option, then the application will be refused. If they didn't explain this, then they, in my humble opinion, have failed in their duty of care, as they seem to be inviting an application that will fail. In addition, they appear to have given your partner the wrong information about the "fiancee" visa. Did you get the name of the person who phoned ?

I have no idea why they have told you that you must marry within 3 months, as the period is 6 months. See here :

As I explained before, the applicant can only qualify as an unmarried partner if you have been living together for at least two years in a relationship akin to a marriage. In your case that would mean that you have been living with your fiancee, in Thailand, for at least two years. Does that apply to you ?

If whoever called you from the Embassy didn't explain this difference, and you choose the unmarried partner option, then the application will be refused. If they didn't explain this, then they, in my humble opinion, have failed in their duty of care, as they seem to be inviting an application that will fail. In addition, they appear to have given your partner the wrong information about the "fiancee" visa. Did you get the name of the person who phoned ?

We have been together for 6 years and have two kids (3 and 2 years old) but I stated in my sponsor letter that we intend to get married in the UK and I attached the booking confirmation so we should not have applied for a "settlement unmarried visa".

I've emailed them to confirm that we do need to apply for a "settlement marriage visa".

See what happens in a few days.

Cheers.

OK, I think I should clear a few things up in this thread before someone else comes and tries to use the incorrect information I have given out/been asking about during the course of this thread.

We used an agent to translate my partner's paperwork and fill in the application form for her. It turns out that while we wanted a 6 month fiancee visa they have mistakenly applied for an "unmarried partner settlement visa" which is a 33 month visa. This probably explains why the VFS wanted to see the IHS insurance policy I had to pay for. If we had applied for a 6 month fiancee visa or a "settlement marriage visa" then probably they would not have asked for the IHS. Tony, we talked about this before, can you confirm about any fiancee visas you have applied for since, was the IHS necessary?

The mistake is totally on the agent. When we spoke to them yesterday after the embassy called they still believed that a "settlement marriage visa" was for people who were already married in Thailand, and they understood that an "unmarried partner setllement visa" was a fiancee visa which is both wrong. Just like to point out that this is their daily job and I really expected them to know what the basic difference was. These are the same people with all that premium/prime appointment nonsense before where they booked us a premium appointment for 3k baht that we didn't need.

Hindsight is wonderful and if I could go back and do it again I would have used an expat based agent and not the stereotypical imcompetent Thai run agent that we used so at the very least they could explain to me properly what is what. We used this same agent for 3 UK tourist visas before over the last 6 years (same girl too) and they were fine, that's why I got lulled into a false sense of security.

So the conclusion is, all of the visas get made in the same timeframe. The service you pay for is just a different appointment at the VFS and it in no way affects how quickly the visa is processed. Prime means you get an appointment in the morning, and premium means you get a VIP room with less other customers and a nice chair and bottle of water.

And if you want something done properly, don't rely on a Thai to do it for you even if it falls completely with in the remit of their job. Something that after 6 years of living here I should already been well aware of.

We get the passport back later this week. I will update with the outcome.

Edited by KunMatt
  • Like 1

KunMatt - sorry to hear about your woes with an agent. Apart from the 3k baht and visa fees did they charge anything for their services? I believe other agents (such as TVE) work on a no visa no fee basis.

Their fee for all of the document translation, copying and doing the application was 20k baht.

I paid the visa fee online with my CC and we paid the VFS fee when we submitted the application.

Just got an email that a decision has been made so I think the earliest we can collect the passport is tomorrow afternoon now.

Check what it says, all of it.

The first email usually says

YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION : please read below

UK Visas and Immigration has made a decision on your visa application and this email explains how your documents will be returned to you.
• THAILAND APPLICANTS: your passport/documents will be ready for collection from the Bangkok visa application centre on the 2nd working day after you receive this email. Collection times are Monday-Friday 10.00 - 16.00 and Saturday 08.30 - 12.00.

As you can see, despite the capitalised heading, it wont actually be ready for collection for another two working days!

You should then receive a second email saying

The processed visa application for GWF reference number xxxxxxxxxxx was received at the UK Visa Application Centre on (date) .

If a courier service was purchased from VFS Global, your processed application will be delivered to the chosen address.

If not, your documents can be collected during the designated passport collection times.

Despite living in Bangkok, my sister in law chose the courier service, and it was another 5 days before it was delivered!

Check what it says, all of it.

The first email usually says

YOUR UK VISA APPLICATION DECISION IS READY FOR COLLECTION : please read below

UK Visas and Immigration has made a decision on your visa application and this email explains how your documents will be returned to you.

THAILAND APPLICANTS: your passport/documents will be ready for collection from the Bangkok visa application centre on the 2nd working day after you receive this email. Collection times are Monday-Friday 10.00 - 16.00 and Saturday 08.30 - 12.00.

As you can see, despite the capitalised heading, it wont actually be ready for collection for another two working days!

You should then receive a second email saying

The processed visa application for GWF reference number xxxxxxxxxxx was received at the UK Visa Application Centre on (date) .

If a courier service was purchased from VFS Global, your processed application will be delivered to the chosen address.

If not, your documents can be collected during the designated passport collection times.

Despite living in Bangkok, my sister in law chose the courier service, and it was another 5 days before it was delivered!

Yes, we have received that first email this afternoon. We've been told (by guess who?!) that it means she will probably be able to collect it tomorrow afternoon.

The passport was at the VFS this afternoon (no delivery email yet though) and the 6 month marriage visa was in it, so we got there in the end.

They used the email I sent to the UK embassy to change the visa type so my email was necessary to complete the application properly.

I would not like to go through that again cuz all of the changing rules for English exams, medicals, visa application or IHS charge etc was an unecessary nightmare, none of it was any fun and the whole time I just felt like we were jumping through the latest hoop and being strung along. It's very difficult to find out exactly what to do as the info on the gov.uk website is vague for specific visa types and there are new rules introduced and changed literally every few weeks.

It's good that there is a resource of info and help from a forum like this so thanks to all for the guidance along the way.

I agree Kunmatt - it is bewildering trying to keep up with all the rule changes. It doesn't stop at the SV stage. Criteria have to be satisfied and rules kept up with for FLR. There are possible future changes for FLR e.g. having to pass B1 English.

All this makes me wonder how some people who are maybe not computer savvy manage to get through the process. I suppose they use agents and sometimes suffer the consequences if they pick a bad one....as I think you know.

• Like 1

... none of it was any fun and the whole time I just felt like we were jumping through the latest hoop and being strung along. It's very difficult to find out exactly what to do as the info on the gov.uk website is vague for specific visa types and there are new rules introduced and changed literally every few weeks.

You've only dipped your toe so far, KunMatt. It's a good idea to grow an extra layer of thick skin from hereon in as you'll both need it over the next five odd years.

... none of it was any fun and the whole time I just felt like we were jumping through the latest hoop and being strung along. It's very difficult to find out exactly what to do as the info on the gov.uk website is vague for specific visa types and there are new rules introduced and changed literally every few weeks.

You've only dipped your toe so far, KunMatt. It's a good idea to grow an extra layer of thick skin from hereon in as you'll both need it over the next five odd years.

Can you give me a heads up of what challenges await us?

As far as I know after we marry in a few months we then convert the Settlement Marriage Visa into a Spouse visa which is valid for 33 months and then we have to apply for ILR, is that correct?