Does it matter which country I buy iPad in?

finy

In in Cambodia at the moment but hopefully will be back in Thailand in a few months.

Will anything be different about the actual unit in each country, or can I just buy from a reseller because they're all the same?

Cheers

As far as I can see, Apple are like Starbucks and charge the same price no matter where you are in the world.

Hence, Apple is even more of a hi-so product in LoS than it is in the West.

Does it matter which contry I buy iPad in?

No. They are crap no matter what country you buy them in.

Disregard "peer pressure" Think outside the box...

Go Android... Freedom...

thumbsup.gif

Go Android... Freedom...

thumbsup.gif

Oh dear the OP wishes to buy an IPad - they are all the same really.

But I am intrigued - freedom from what?

My 4 phones, Mac, notebook, and 2 IPads all connect and work seamlessly together- that's the beauty of Apple

Not the cheapest option- I'm just an end user, and just want things to work well.

So why android- oops hope you have all your antiviral software up to date.

OP go get your IPad

We bought a 64Gb iPad Air in Big C, twin SIM plus WiFi.

The man set it all up in Thai.

Great, got home to realise my wife didn't understand the technical terms understand much at all.

Scuppered?

No, went on you tube looked for How to change iPad language.

Watched what they touched, counted down the menu item touched etc.

Then did the same on our iPad and changed the language to English

When wifey uses the iPad, she changes the language to Thai if she needs to mess with settings.

I turn it back to English.

Easy really.

We do the same with her Samsung Galaxy smart phone.

Go Android... Freedom...

thumbsup.gif

It's actually Apple that are crap rather than the Ipad. I had a lot of enjoyment from mine, but they just would not let me register. So my attitude was <deleted> them.

Go Android... Freedom...

thumbsup.gif

Oh dear the OP wishes to buy an IPad - they are all the same really.

But I am intrigued - freedom from what?

My 4 phones, Mac, notebook, and 2 IPads all connect and work seamlessly together- that's the beauty of Apple

Not the cheapest option- I'm just an end user, and just want things to work well.

So why android- oops hope you have all your antiviral software up to date.

OP go get your IPad

Maybe they will accept your registration.

A Thai friend of mine brought an iPad from the USA,because he can access sites etc not allowed on one from Thailand. Something to so we the registration,but not sure. Anyone else know?

Actually, yes they are the same the world over, but for some strange reason , they are cheaper in Thailand than virtually any other country, ( and yes I mean proper ones, not fake Chinese version, ) even from proper Apple shops. I bought full size one and mini one from Thailand and saved a good deal of dosh.

You are right about Apple policy, but not in Thailand . As of now Apple UK advertise basic iPad Air at £399. Apple Thailand advertise at 16900bht - at 50bht to £ =£338. Even at only 47baht to £ it is still cheaper.

Actually, yes they are the same the world over, but for some strange reason , they are cheaper in Thailand than virtually any other country, ( and yes I mean proper ones, not fake Chinese version, ) even from proper Apple shops. I bought full size one and mini one from Thailand and saved a good deal of dosh.

That is sometimes true because Apple does not reprice its products very often so if you have currency movement it can be cheaper in an other country.

Case in point, I usually will buy in Thailand and by claiming the tax back it's cheaper than in Japan but for my iPad Air 2 bought 6 months ago full price in Japan was less than the tax free price in Thailand.

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the first poster, it will actually be a cellular model. I was just hoping I would walk into somewhere like DTAC and buy a new sim card to replace the old one. The place I stay doesn't actually have Wi-Fi and I have a dongle, but won't work on the iPad.

I looked around for a decent Android tablet but don't think any compare to the iPad at the moment. It is actually the mini I want, so the only real alternatives were the Nexus 9 and Samsung S 8.4.

Just a further note to OP, if buying a cellular unit, beware!!! The sim for use in an iPad may only work in country of purchase- ie- no roaming!!! not the same as as a phone sim - I had one originally, but now just tether iPad to phone instead.

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the first poster, it will actually be a cellular model. I was just hoping I would walk into somewhere like DTAC and buy a new sim card to replace the old one. The place I stay doesn't actually have Wi-Fi and I have a dongle, but won't work on the iPad.

I looked around for a decent Android tablet but don't think any compare to the iPad at the moment. It is actually the mini I want, so the only real alternatives were the Nexus 9 and Samsung S 8.4.

Don't buy a cellular in Japan, it will be locked to a Japanese Carrier, buy in Thailand where they are Factory unlocked, meaning it can be used worldwide, strangely enough, maybe not in Japan, your WIFi will be fine, but some cellular abilities may be compromised, Japan one of the most Technological advanced countries on the Planet is sometimes well behind countries like Thailand, because of their protectionism policies.I can Use my unlocked Apple 3GS with a prepaid Japanese Softbank SimCard, but it has limitations, because the phone wasn't made for softbank.

Try and go to a 7 Eleven store in Tokyo and buy a Sim Card, it's even a pain in a major Phone seller shop i once had to show my passport and have it photocopied just to buy a 3000 Yen refill card for a prepaid number I had had for years, and good luck finding free WiFi. You have one thing right, there is no Tablet that compares with an iPad, period.

I was an Android user, I lost my nearly New Galaxy S2 back in the day, I was gutted, a friend gave me his old Apple 3GS that he didn't use anymore, it was so easy to use he didn't have to explain a thing, now I'm on an iPhone 6 user after being a 4s user, and I wouldn't think of going back to Android.

Thanks for the replies.

Don't buy a cellular in Japan, it will be locked to a Japanese Carrier, buy in Thailand where they are Factory unlocked, meaning it can be used worldwide, strangely enough, maybe not in Japan, your WIFi will be fine, but some cellular abilities may be compromised, Japan one of the most Technological advanced countries on the Planet is sometimes well behind countries like Thailand, because of their protectionism policies.I can Use my unlocked Apple 3GS with a prepaid Japanese Softbank SimCard, but it has limitations, because the phone wasn't made for softbank.

Try and go to a 7 Eleven store in Tokyo and buy a Sim Card, it's even a pain in a major Phone seller shop i once had to show my passport and have it photocopied just to buy a 3000 Yen refill card for a prepaid number I had had for years, and good luck finding free WiFi. You have one thing right, there is no Tablet that compares with an iPad, period.

I was an Android user, I lost my nearly New Galaxy S2 back in the day, I was gutted, a friend gave me his old Apple 3GS that he didn't use anymore, it was so easy to use he didn't have to explain a thing, now I'm on an iPhone 6 user after being a 4s user, and I wouldn't think of going back to Android.

Humm. Your information is out of date. My iPad Air 2 WiFi+cellular bought in Japan from the Apple Store is Factory unlocked and is happy with an AIS nano sim in Thailand.

Tokyo Metro, the Keio line, JR East, McDonalds, and 7/11 all have free WiFi, there are probably many more but they are the train lines I use daily.

In Japan I don't bother to use a cellular service because I can get free WiFi virtually everywhere I need access.

I think the question is ... Where will you be living and use it?

Buy your devices in the country you live in ... or your warranty is worthless.

Edited by Guest

A Thai friend of mine brought an iPad from the USA,because he can access sites etc not allowed on one from Thailand. Something to so we the registration,but not sure. Anyone else know?

Apple registration is based on the country of issue for the credit card or debit card that you use when you register.

If you maintain a U.S. address, and a U.S. phone number, and a bank account in the U.S., you will be able to register on the U.S. Apple Store, which gives you access to the U.S. versions of iTunes, iCloud, and now, ApplePay. You have to set up your Apple device as though your actual physical residence is in the U.S. When you are in Thailand, or anywhere else, you are just "visiting."

If you *also* register on the Apple Store in Thailand, you can get wires crossed, as I found when I purchased a MB Air a few months ago. Apple appears to have separate systems, Apple America and Apple Asia are separate, so once I got a human on the phone, she sorted my order, billing and everything else. But there was confusion, because my debit card draws from a U.S. bank. And I was shipping to an address in Bangkok ordering from the Apple Store in Thailand. Apple actually ended up giving birth to my Mac in China, and it then traveled through Hong Kong to my home in Bangkok. I ended up handing cash to my wife and she deposited it in her Thai bank account and Apple charged her card, which worked out great in the end because she qualifies for a student discount. But we had some drama.

So my point is that an Apple device in particular depends on a valid credit card. If your card is issued by a Thai bank in Thailand, then register a Thai billing address. But be advised that you will not be able to access some sites and services in the U.S. due to licensing and other issues, because you will be considered Thai. This has nothing to do with citizenship and everything to do with the location of your bank account. For example, you may not be able to order movies or purchase music or books from the U.S. iTunes or iBooks services.

A VPN can make these complications go away, but some vendors, like HBO, are getting wise to the fact that legions of viewers are watching whatever they want, from wherever they want, when they want, and this obviously threatens the stability of the known universe, so solutions are looming.

I understand your friend registering his iPad to a U.S. bank and a U.S. residence and a U.S. phone number. I do that myself. I maintain a U.S. address for banking purposes under the Patriot Act, and so I can purchase services like NHL GameCenter Live. I spend most of my time in Bangkok. But I am just "visiting."

It can be very annoying when YouTube videos or video clips embedded on web pages refuse to play because of licensing restrictions based on residency or physical location.

Hopes this helps.

I had the same issue. Buying an iPad in Thailand (2 years ago, same price in Europe and Asia, as the currency was quite stable that time), I had to register with a european address and credit card to avoid restrictions especially in the offered apps (some apps are neither shown nor buyable in tha-based app-store).

The biggest pricing difference IMHO is the vat. If you are self-employed or working for a company and get a refund for the vat, you can compare the net prices instead of the gross. And yes, they differ! As apple tries to keep the (gross) prices equal in all countries, they cannot avoid to have different net prices, as the countries have different vat. So it makes sense to buy the iPad in a country with a very high vat, as it lowers the net price :-)

Bought my iPad Air2 a couple of months ago in Malaysia. Cheaper than Thailand. When I travel I buy a local sim and it always works. Malaysia just introduced a 6% GST so prices might have increased a bit but STILL cheaper than Thailand or anywhere else.

As far as I can see, Apple are like Starbucks and charge the same price no matter where you are in the world.

Hence, Apple is even more of a hi-so product in LoS than it is in the West.

I bought my iPhone here in Pattaya from True. They were the cheapest that I could find in Thailand. The same week in the states a friend of mine bought the same model, iPhone 6, for $220 less than I paid here. No, pricing is not the same world wide.

I beg to differ. They are much cheaper in the states than in Thailand. I am not sure which countries currency is the "dosh", so I cannot compare with wherever that is.

I doubt that....Apple, has very strict pricing guidelines.

Apple can only dictate pricing through their own network. Any other shop can price any Apple product at whatever they want to.