Recommendations or Suggestions of tutors for High School Math and Science

Jeff1234

Do you have any recommendations or any suggestions of tutors in Chiang Mai that speak fluent English and can tutor High School Math and Science? We need one, desperately, next school year, and are looking for any suggestions or recommendations?

Do you want a tutor for English Math/Science or Thai Math/Science, because they are two completely different "subjects".

The English version is logical and the Thai is just strange.

• Like 1

Do you want a tutor for English Math/Science or Thai Math/Science, because they are two completely different "subjects".

The English version is logical and the Thai is just strange.

English Math/Science tutor is what I require, sorry, for not being specific, it doesn't matter what nationality they are as long as they speak fluent English. A college student would be an ideal candidate, but it doesn't have to be, as we can go over their credentials and determine if we can use their services when we contact them. I can be specific on what on what information is needed for me to contact them:

I need the tutor's business name, or just individual first and last name, phone number, and if they have an email address, that would be the best method of communication.

Anybody can personal message me if they have someone that wants to keep their contact's personal information confidential to just me?

Let me know if I need to be more specific and other members of ThaiVisa, please don't hesitate to either reply to this topic or send me a PM of a tutor with the information I requested in this topic.

I've taught university-level mathematics both at US universities and here. Sorry, I do not do individual tutoring but have these recommendations:

1. Be wary of getting a college student as a tutor. They may be able to do the problems but are unlikely to be able to communicate well-enough to explain the underlying concepts and logic. There are exceptions to this of course but be wary.

2. I highly recommend Khan Academy. This is a good resource at all levels. Even if you get a tutor have your student get familiar with using the KA videos.

3.Try contacting the math teachers at the various International Schools in the area. Some of them may do tutoring or may know and be able to recommend good tutors.

4. Keep at it! Once the "I just cant do math" attitude hardens it is hard to overcome later. Having a good background in math will pay dividends for your student all of their life. Don't give up.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

750 thb per two hour session, paid on a retainer basis. Licensed teacher from the US, valid and verifiable Fingerprint Clearance. Algebra and Geometry are specialties.

Edited by bangmai

Have you looked into Khan Academy? From what I've seen, the lessons are good, especially at explaining the basics.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Yes, I have looked into Khan Academy and have used it for some basic javascript courses. Need one on attention though and already have enough school work. Just need assistance in explaining how to work on solutions for an 1 hour or 2 a week, maybe more, so don't have any confusion when going through lessons at school.

I've taught university-level mathematics both at US universities and here. Sorry, I do not do individual tutoring but have these recommendations:

1. Be wary of getting a college student as a tutor. They may be able to do the problems but are unlikely to be able to communicate well-enough to explain the underlying concepts and logic. There are exceptions to this of course but be wary.

2. I highly recommend Khan Academy. This is a good resource at all levels. Even if you get a tutor have your student get familiar with using the KA videos.

3.Try contacting the math teachers at the various International Schools in the area. Some of them may do tutoring or may know and be able to recommend good tutors.

4. Keep at it! Once the "I just cant do math" attitude hardens it is hard to overcome later. Having a good background in math will pay dividends for your student all of their life. Don't give up.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into it and do research on the Math teachers. Do you have any recommendations for High School Science?

Have you looked into Khan Academy? From what I've seen, the lessons are good, especially at explaining the basics.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Yes, I have looked into Khan Academy and have used it for some basic javascript courses. Need one on attention though and already have enough school work. Just need assistance in explaining how to work on solutions for an 1 hour or 2 a week, maybe more, so don't have any confusion when going through lessons at school.

Assistance on what kind of solutions? High school math can be anything from introductory algebra to calculus, high school science can include biology, chemistry and physics, and possibly other stuff--it's been a while since I was in high school. Honors level high school calculus and physics courses are comparable to university level freshman courses in those subjects, and they are considered so difficult they are only taken by the university students who can't avoid them.

Is the student in question just trying to survive high school or trying to ace AP exams for university, and if so, which exams? It makes a difference in the kind of tutor you need. There are few people who can tutor both physics and biology at university level.

Edited by heybruce