need some electric advice

twozeds

got some inline 110v dimmer switches (see photo) i would like to use with my 220v photographic lights, so i can adjust the brightness etc when using 2 lights for portraits etc at home…. will i be ok plugging the dimmers into the electric sockets here then my lights into the plugs on the dimmers?? I'm not that good with electrics lol…cheers

post-227668-0-96475400-1430553762_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to build Dimmers commercially - The Triac control devices (Semiconductor switches) inside are rated for use on either 240 volt or 110 volt. If they have been built to a price and their rated 110 volt then you will probably blow them up at turn on. Additionally the internal triggering mechanism is usually tuned for 60 Hz (Cycles) as for the US 110 volt system or for 50 Hz as per most 220/240 volt countries. While this will most likely only affect the "quality" of the dimming curve it may also be a pain in the butt.

More importantly as Tywais says NEVER put Standard CFLs on dimmers. The same goes for any device with internal or external Switch mode power supply. So that means most LED lamp devices.

There are CFL, Fluorescent and LED systems that are designed for dimming but they are usually quite expensive.

If your a serious photographer you are probably better off dimming standard Incandescent bulbs and shooting a "grey card " or white Sheet at the start and setting the camera to do an auto color balance on that. Job done.

Archived