Two motives seen in killing of ex-top cop's nephew

Lite Beer

Two motives seen in killing of ex-top cop's nephew
The Sunday Nation

30259229-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police are investigating two possible motives for the killing of renowned former crimebuster Wiroj Pao-in's nephew, who was shot by a sniper while was holding his one-year-old baby outside his Nonthaburi home early on Friday morning.

One of the potential motives behind the killing of 31-year-old Thiwaphan Pao-in was his conflict with a doctor customer over the sale and car-ownership transfer involving a Bt3-million Bentley car early last month.

The other motive stemmed from a group of Nakhon Pathom-based people pawning cars to borrow Bt8 million from Thiwaphan, which they failed to repay. Thiwaphan had reportedly made efforts to recover the debt, resulting in arguments.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Two-motives-seen-in-killing-of-ex-top-cops-nephew-30259229.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-03

A Bt3 million Bentley? Could it have been a fake?

That's the first think that popped into my mind. The second was... never mind.

Was any import tax paid on the Bentley ?

Where did the nephew get Bt 8M to lend ?

Was the uncle good mates with Pongput, that other ex-top cop at CSD ?

Life is dangerous for illegal money lenders.

yes they keep calling this guy a business man when in reality he is a local money lender and probably a thug

The conflict and possible motives relate to money lending it would seem, but the victim may have been a regular businessman as well. Being political and police wise excellently connected that would be normal. I never heard about this fellow, but maybe other have?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Life is dangerous for illegal money lenders.

Sounds like the man murdered was involved with lending money, big money.

Guess his famous cop uncle didn't keep him on the best path.

Seems to be quite regular that relatives of top police are involved in less than clean activities.

2 cops come out of the house, then the guy, who is then wasted by the shooter.

Just how did the shooter know the guy would be coming out at that time?

This happened at what, around 2 in the morning?

This looks like a straight set up to me.

A Bt3 million Bentley? Could it have been a fake?

That's the first think that popped into my mind. The second was... never mind.

Was any import tax paid on the Bentley ?

Where did the nephew get Bt 8M to lend ?

Was the uncle good mates with Pongput, that other ex-top cop at CSD ?

Maybe I should rephrase, as my attempt at humour has failed (yet again).

A Bentley for 3 million baht???? It would have to be a fake at that price. :) (I'll bet the ashtrays aren't real gold.)

Does that help?

I am going with door Number 2, Bob. This is a recurring theme in Asia. I have seen this with variations on a theme in multiple countries. 'Wah, pay back so much money. Can not. Cheaper I kill him, better , mai?" My favorite variation on this theme was back in the 1980's when a expat friend of mine (a Swede) in Indonesia was half owner of a successful oil pipe line installation company. He gave a loan to one of his contractors of about $250k. Well, next thing you know the expat is arrested by Immigration on some nonsensical charge and deported to Singapore.. and stayed out for 6 years (those old hands who know this guy and this story just jump on in, it is well known). Anyway 6 years later he gets back in. His company suffered for a while but started doing a lot better so he could "arrange" to return. It took him a while and a bunch of "arranging" with various officials to find out that it was the contractor he gave the loan to that had him deported because it was just plain cheaper to deport then to repay. Welcome to Asia.

My money is one this motive for this shooting instance.

I am going with door Number 2, Bob. This is a recurring theme in Asia. I have seen this with variations on a theme in multiple countries. 'Wah, pay back so much money. Can not. Cheaper I kill him, better , mai?" My favorite variation on this theme was back in the 1980's when a expat friend of mine (a Swede) in Indonesia was half owner of a successful oil pipe line installation company. He gave a loan to one of his contractors of about $250k. Well, next thing you know the expat is arrested by Immigration on some nonsensical charge and deported to Singapore.. and stayed out for 6 years (those old hands who know this guy and this story just jump on in, it is well known). Anyway 6 years later he gets back in. His company suffered for a while but started doing a lot better so he could "arrange" to return. It took him a while and a bunch of "arranging" with various officials to find out that it was the contractor he gave the loan to that had him deported because it was just plain cheaper to deport then to repay. Welcome to Asia.

My money is one this motive for this shooting instance.

So did the Swede then kill the contractor as payback?