1 year driving license on TR visa?

If you have your UK driving licence and a Certificate of Residence you don't need to go to the Embassy.

If Pattaya will issue you a Thai DL on a TR as stevenl states, then go for it.

As said already Faz, I went to Chonburi last thursday and they told me I need to go to the embassy - so confusing

Phuket.

But if verification is an issue, just go there and do the tests, really not difficult.

My main issue is having to go to the embassy in BKK and paying for something that could be a total waste of time and money. Plus, having to go to the embassy will mean that my Cof R will expire (as no appts til June) so I would need to go through the hassle of getting that again. Posters have said on here that they have been given their licenses without having to do what I am being asked to do.

Not worried about the tests, just pi$$ed off that Im getting the preverbial runaround. Im going to BKK tomorrow I think so will just apply for my license there. If they tell me the same thing as Chonburi then I guess it will be a trip to the embassy in June and the whole rigmorol of starting from scratch

Cheers for your help everyone

I believe that if you apply in Bangkok you will need proof of residence for Bangkok.

Thats what Im worried about but I have no other options unless I try Chonburi again

You don't need any embassy papers if you just go to dlt and take the tests.

I went to Chonburi last Thursday stevenl and they told me I need to get papers from embassy?

Only for obtaining Thai DL based on your UK license, so without the test. So don,'t do that but do the tests and you don't need embassy papers, only certificate of residence from immigration.

I went to Chonburi last Thursday stevenl and they told me I need to get papers from embassy?

Only for obtaining Thai DL based on your UK license, so without the test. So don,'t do that but do the tests and you don't need embassy papers, only certificate of residence from immigration.

I dont understand what you are suggesting? It sounds like you are saying go back to Chonburi and do what I have already done? Sorry bud Im not being obnoxious, I really appreciate you trying to help me

I have everything I need like my UK license, passport, C of R, copies of all entries and exits in my passport to and from Thailand, medical cert, copies of passport and DL, photos the whole shabbang, but Chonburi said I need to go to embassy?

I really do not get any of it

OK so I have just returned from Pattaya driving centre where I was hoping to get my 1st license. The guy at the desk told me I have to now go to the British Embassy in BKK, I think to get my UK license 'verified' ?? I thought I had covered everything by photocopying everything and also taking originals

Does anybody have any information on what I need to do in BKK and how long it takes?

I think he is talking about getting your ADDRESS verified !! (not your license) - though I could be wrong.

you can also get your address verified by going to your local immigration and paying 200 baht.. and they will send a thai policeman to your room (after about 2 or 3 weeks) who will verify your address and issue some sort of certificate that you do live there.

OK so I have just returned from Pattaya driving centre where I was hoping to get my 1st license. The guy at the desk told me I have to now go to the British Embassy in BKK, I think to get my UK license 'verified' ?? I thought I had covered everything by photocopying everything and also taking originals

Does anybody have any information on what I need to do in BKK and how long it takes?

I think he is talking about getting your ADDRESS verified !! (not your license) - though I could be wrong.

you can also get your address verified by going to your local immigration and paying 200 baht.. and they will send a thai policeman to your room (after about 2 or 3 weeks) who will verify your address and issue some sort of certificate that you do live there.

Really !

That is a new one and one of the best I have heard recently ! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Yeah you are wrong mate, he checked through all my papers and my copies and looked puzzled at why there was something missing. so i looked back at him puzzled as if to say I have everything?

I dont understand what you are suggesting? It sounds like you are saying go back to Chonburi and do what I have already done? Sorry bud Im not being obnoxious, I really appreciate you trying to help me

I have everything I need like my UK license, passport, C of R, copies of all entries and exits in my passport to and from Thailand, medical cert, copies of passport and DL, photos the whole shabbang, but Chonburi said I need to go to embassy?

I really do not get any of it

Let go of your UK license. Don't take it and don't mention it.

Walter pattaya expats club have a recent list of documents required for a Thai DL.

I seriously think your being given the run around because your on a TR Visa.

Thanks for that Faz very helpful, and as stevenl says, if i make out I aint got a UK license, I will just have to do the tests which I would otherwise avoid, but putting the whole episode together, that could be my best option cos if I aint got a UK license with me, how can I get it validated at an embassy? thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Walter pattaya expats club have a recent list of documents required for a Thai DL.

I seriously think your being given the run around because your on a TR Visa.

Thanks for that Faz very helpful, and as stevenl says, if i make out I aint got a UK license, I will just have to do the tests which I would otherwise avoid, but putting the whole episode together, that could be my best option cos if I aint got a UK license with me, how can I get it validated at an embassy? thumbsup.gif

Yes, easiest solution.

One step back to get two steps forward.

That sounds familiar!

Taking the test may be an option but not an easy one.

The majority by far fail it. It's confusing and has the wrong answers to certain questions.

You really shouldn't have to take it.

1. UK Driving Licence

2. Certificate of Residence

3. Health certificate

4. Copies of the above

5. The fee.

Are the only documents thousands of expats have required to get a Thai DL. (Although I had a Tabian Ban)

Sounds like you need someone to help translate, or ask to speak to the supervisor/manager.

Some of these frontline staff are not reliable with their knowledge and information.

Rather than admit they're not sure or ask a supervisor because of loss of face they'll send you on a wild goose chase.

• Like 1

That sounds familiar!

The majority by far fail it. It's confusing and has the wrong answers to certain questions.

1. UK Driving Licence

3. Health certificate

4. Copies of the above

5. The fee.

Are the only documents thousands of expats have required to get a Thai DL. (Although I had a Tabian Ban)

Sounds like you need someone to help translate, or ask to speak to the supervisor/manager.

Some of these frontline staff are not reliable with their knowledge and information.

Rather than admit they're not sure or ask a supervisor because of loss of face they'll send you on a wild goose chase.

I agree with Faz totally. This is what I had:

1. UK Driving Licence (no need for paper counterpart or IDL)

2. Work Permit (counts as proof of residence)

3. Health certificate

4. Copies of the above

5. The fee

I took the colour blindness, depth and reaction tests and was in and out in about 90 minutes.

That sounds familiar!

1. UK Driving Licence

3. Health certificate

4. Copies of the above

5. The fee.

I agree with Faz totally. This is what I had:

1. UK Driving Licence (no need for paper counterpart or IDL)

2. Work Permit (counts as proof of residence)

3. Health certificate

4. Copies of the above

5. The fee

I took the colour blindness, depth and reaction tests and was in and out in about 90 minutes.

Thats what I was hoping for blackcab but unfortunately, I seem to be the 1 they have picked out to make life difficult for. I paid a Thai guy with me for 500bht incase I had any translation problems but he just went along with what the guy behind the counter said. I feel like I have been tried to be duped into paying him 2000 to take me to BKK but to be honest I didnt notice any nudge nudge wink wink going on

Do you think I should go back to Chonburi and ask to speak to someone higher up or will I just be pi$$ing in the wind . . . rolleyes.gif

I would go back the Chonburi office and try again. With many people stating they didn't need the certification it would certainly be worth the effort.

I spoke last night with the Thai guy who took me to Choburi DLT and actually put what you said to him ubonjoe, he said "yeah but they have already seen you" meaning why would they change their mind if they know my face?

What are your thoughts on me going to Chatuchak (BKK) head office and trying there? Do you think they will advise me to go Chonburi as my C of R is Pattaya?

I think you will have no luck in going to Bangkok without an address for Bangkok.

What office did you go to. You wrote Chonburi but if I recall correctly their is a drivers license office in Pattaya.

I think the chances of you seeing the same person is small and even then they might not remember you.

I think you will have no luck in going to Bangkok without an address for Bangkok.

What office did you go to. You wrote Chonburi but if I recall correctly their is a drivers license office in Pattaya.

I think the chances of you seeing the same person is small and even then they might not remember you.

That is my worry about going to Chatuchak but it is a head office with English speaking staff so at least I could put my points across and be heard.

I say Chonburi office because I believe it serves the region but yes, even though it is a 25/30 minute drive from Central Pattaya, it may still be in Pattaya. It is next to an international school called Regents school

I will see how accessible they are. There is a minivan that goes from Pattaya to Victory Monument in BKK for 99baht eachway and Victory Monument is just south of Chatuchak.

The Thai guy charged me 500baht to go to the 1 near Regents school and mototaxi said would be 200 eachway so its cheaper to go to BKK hahaha crazy

This is the one I went to Faz and where I got told I needed to go to embassy in BKK. I guess I could keep pestering them but at 500baht a shot, It could end up costing me loads and getting no nearer to receiving a license!

I spoke with the Thai guy last night and he says he will ring them for me and see if there can be anything done for me. I told him that people on this forum have had no problems so asked why am I?

Last night he also said that if I make out I dont have my UK license and they recognise me from before, that obviously wont go in my favour. I thought having this guy with me would make it a breeze

I doubt you will get it at any other office.

They do things by province usually.

To be honest I never take a Thai with me to any government office.

Once only and that caused more confusion than soft mick.

If anything say you went to Bangkok and they said you had to go there because your address is in Pattaya.

They hate to be wrong and loose face.

Sometimes you've got to hang in there but remain calm and polite.

Even if they don't know the rules they usually give in just to get rid of you.

I didn't have a full motorcycle licence for the UK but bluffed it.

I pointed at the pictures on my UK paper licence, they nodded and gave me both car and motorcycle.

You'll always find someone who speaks enough English to get through.

You'll have to take 4 little tests.

Colour blindness.

Depth perception.

Reaction time.

Peripheral vision.

As I stated earlier, last week my DLT told me no licences on Tourist Visas by order of government.

Maybe Pattaya don't know, but I think that is where your problem lies.

Plan 2. See if your mates Insurance will cover you for an extra premium.

I doubt you will get it at any other office.

They do things by province usually.

To be honest I never take a Thai with me to any government office.

Once only and that caused more confusion than soft mick.

If anything say you went to Bangkok and they said you had to go there because your address is in Pattaya.

They hate to be wrong and loose face.

Sometimes you've got to hang in there but remain calm and polite.

Even if they don't know the rules they usually give in just to get rid of you.

I didn't have a full motorcycle licence for the UK but bluffed it.

I pointed at the pictures on my UK paper licence, they nodded and gave me both car and motorcycle.

You'll always find someone who speaks enough English to get through.

You'll have to take 4 little tests.

Colour blindness.

Depth perception.

Reaction time.

Peripheral vision.

As I stated earlier, last week my DLT told me no licences on Tourist Visas by order of government.

Maybe Pattaya don't know, but I think that is where your problem lies.

Plan 2. See if your mates Insurance will cover you for an extra premium.

Yeah I think I will just have to be persistent

So if there are no licenses granted on TR, why would they tell me to go to the embassy? Wouldnt they just have said "Sorry but no"?

This is the one I went to Faz and where I got told I needed to go to embassy in BKK. I guess I could keep pestering them but at 500baht a shot, It could end up costing me loads and getting no nearer to receiving a license!

I spoke with the Thai guy last night and he says he will ring them for me and see if there can be anything done for me. I told him that people on this forum have had no problems so asked why am I?

Last night he also said that if I make out I dont have my UK license and they recognise me from before, that obviously wont go in my favour. I thought having this guy with me would make it a breeze

No, this guy is talking nonsense.

Don't take anybody there with you, do it by yourself. Don't have him ring the people from the DLT.

Just go there, if they won't help you with the Thai DL based on the UK one just do the whole procedure including tests. Same documents are required, and they really won't care.

No, this guy is talking nonsense.

Don't take anybody there with you, do it by yourself. Don't have him ring the people from the DLT.

Just go there, if they won't help you with the Thai DL based on the UK one just do the whole procedure including tests. Same documents are required, and they really won't care.

Fair enough Faz, cheers again

Stevenl gave the last reply, thank him biggrin.png

It's much easier to say 'go to Embassy' rather than give a detailed explanation.

Pass the buck, someone else's problem. No confrontation. No loss of face.

Most expats refer to this as Thainess. (avoid confrontation, embarrassment)

So the DLT advisor got you off his back and another earned 500 baht. Job well done for Thais.

I totally agree with stevenl, somebody was giving you BS because you certainly don't have to go to the Embassy for any reason to get a Thai DL.

Tip: Look for another farang doing an application and follow him.

Did it for him, do it for me.