1 year driving license on TR visa?

Again I have not come on here without trying to do my research first. The only advice I can find on here is at least 2 years old and the 2 answers I found via Google are saying I cannot have a 1 year driving license on a TR visa . . .

I have my UK photo license with me if that is relevant?

It is hard to know what to believe as last week I saw a post saying Immigration/Jomtien were not giving out Certificates of residence anymore which was a load of rubbish, I went down and got 2. The guy who issued me asked me what I wanted them for so I told him 1 was to open a bank account and 1 was for my driving license application. That said, would he not have told me I was not eligible for 1 after seeing my visa was TR?

I hear it is quite a drive to the Pattaya test office and quite a long day so I would like to know for certain before wasting my time coffee1.gif

Thanks

I think I got my first 2 driving licenses on a Tourist Visa. Motorbike and car. No problem, even though the listed rules said no. Have always heard the same - No Problem.

I didn't have a health cert the first time, she wrote down the address in Thai and said to give it to a motosai taxi outside. Went to the clinic, he held up a pen.

What colour is this pen?

Red.

Stamped, signed, here's your health cert. :D

Welcome to Thailand. :)

• Like 1

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

^^^ link that says not allowed on tourist visa

Poor research from the Forum, Google,

Did you look at the Pinned Topics in the top of the Pattaya Section?

Did you look at the Pinned Topics in the Thailand Motor Forum?

No I cannot see where they are? I usually type in the search bar for what I look for . . .

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

^^^ link that says not allowed on tourist visa

Poor research from the Forum, Google,

Did you look at the Pinned Topics in the top of the Pattaya Section?

Did you look at the Pinned Topics in the Thailand Motor Forum?

No I cannot see where they are? I usually type in the search bar for what I look for . . .[/

Pattaya forum 3 rd pinned topic from the top.

Do you know how to find the Pattaya forum ?

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I have just returned from Pattaya driving centre where I was hoping to get my 1st license. The guy at the desk told me I have to now go to the British Embassy in BKK, I think to get my UK license 'verified' ?? I thought I had covered everything by photocopying everything and also taking originals

Does anybody have any information on what I need to do in BKK and how long it takes?

If you really do need documents from the embassy (I didn't when I applied for my driving licenses in Bangkok) then see if you can do it by post.

If you have to go in person you will need to make an appointment as they stopped their walk in service.

Either way it's going to be expensive.

If you really do need documents from the embassy (I didn't when I applied for my driving licenses in Bangkok) then see if you can do it by post.

If you have to go in person you will need to make an appointment as they stopped their walk in service.

Hi blackcab

Im not sure I do need documents to prove my license is 'real' I think they just enjoy making people jump through hoops and to be honest Im getting tired of it.

Regarding contacting the embassy, I sent them an email 2 days ago asking if what I had been told was correct. Guess what? No reply. Doing it by post will see my certificate of residence past its expiry date aswell.

How do you mean it will be expensive? And was your application in BKK your 1st ever application for a 1year license?

And would I mot be able to apply for mine in BKK? Thanks for your time . . .

Up to last year my local office would issue a temporary 1 year licence on a TR.

They have stopped that practice and will now only issue a Thai DL to holders of Non Imm Visas or extensions.

no offence but what relevance does this have? If you are advising others about your local office, you haven't even said where it is?

if you read what I write, they haven't said I cannot have 1, they're just being obnoxious bar stewards

Up to last year my local office would issue a temporary 1 year licence on a TR.

They have stopped that practice and will now only issue a Thai DL to holders of Non Imm Visas or extensions.

no offence but what relevance does this have? If you are advising others about your local office, you haven't even said where it is?

if you read what I write, they haven't said I cannot have 1, they're just being obnoxious bar stewards

No offence taken Walter, but you posted your question on one of the open forums, so you'll get a general consensus of opinions and experiences. A quick glance at my profile will tell you where I live.

If you wanted a more specific answer in relation to your residence then perhaps you should have posted it in the Pattaya Forum, even then you may get a scenario of experiences.

One point your overlooking Walter, is that the Junta are clamping down in many government areas of administration and to follow the existing rules as they are already laid down. Evidence of that can be seen on the forum many times especially Immigration with members reporting 'they asked for this' but 'they didn't ask for it last year'.......new rules. huh!

The only true and definitive answer to your question lies at the Pattaya Transport Office but that will involve an actual physical effort, as opposed to armchair internet meanderings.

I cant win!!! If I start my own thread I get told to look at 'pinned topics' or to search for the topic as it will already have been a question asked on here, so I ask on an open thread to try to 'do the right thing' and still I get it wrong bah.gif

Armchair Internet Meanderings??

If you read what I wrote, you will see I went to the office already thumbsup.gif

I came back here to find out if this was normal, to be sent to BKK when I have all my ppwk, luckily, blackcab came with some relevant info that has probably saved me a wasted journey

Hi blackcab

Im not sure I do need documents to prove my license is 'real' I think they just enjoy making people jump through hoops and to be honest Im getting tired of it.

Regarding contacting the embassy, I sent them an email 2 days ago asking if what I had been told was correct. Guess what? No reply. Doing it by post will see my certificate of residence past its expiry date aswell.

How do you mean it will be expensive? And was your application in BKK your 1st ever application for a 1year license?

And would I mot be able to apply for mine in BKK? Thanks for your time . . .

It will be expensive because the British embassy charges an arm and as leg for their services. I believe the current price for making or verifying a copy of a document is 1,560 baht. If you had to do a return trip to Bangkok it just gets worse, not to mention a totally wasted day.

Yes, my application in Bangkok was for my first ever one year license.

I posted this before but for your benefit ... I just got 2 years licences for car and bike with a 30 day visa exempt, in April. Only problem I had was Chonburi wanted my UK licence copy certified by the British embassy, so I got them in Chiang Mai no problem without the certified copy. These were my first Thai licences and I didn't have to do any tests, other than the colour test with the red, amber and green lights, as I already have my full UK car and bike licence. I was going to Chiang Mai anyway, that's why I got them there, I didn't make a special trip to get them.

• Like 1

That's how it goes in Pattaya, in the case you get already a national driving license and you have an international driving license (it works even with a Visa TR 60 days, ... Simple Entry, Double Entry)

- go to immigration service ask for a certificate of residence, go with your rent contract copy (or other address proof), a copy of: the VISA page, first Passeport Page, Latest entry stamp page and Immigration form, and your passeport of course. Ask the certificate for driving license. It'll cost 500THB if I don't make mistake

- go to any clinic (even a small one), ask for an health certificate (for a driving license), it'll cost you around 100THB, sometimes they'll make you simple test (or just questions), and sometimes not

- make a copy of your actual driving license, and international driving license

- go to the Transport service with all your papers, don't forget your international driving license and your national driving license and of course your passeport, take a queue number, wait for the call of your number

- when they call you, go to 1st floor, give them all the papers, they'll give you a form to fill up, they can even do it for you

- they'll give you a colored card, wait for somebody to call the color of your card a make the queue

- here is the test: colors (Red, Orange, Green), check if you know how to brake quick, check if you know how to recognize distance

- after the test, wait again, they'll call you to pick up a form to bring to the cashier to pay (600THB if I don't make mistake again), the cashier will give you a number, wait for your call

- after they call you, they'll take a photo of you to print it into your new driving license (for 1 year)

- that's it you get it

It'll take you around 3 hours if you go there in the morning, and if there is no big Thaï hollidays arriving.

That's how it goes in Pattaya, in the case you get already a national driving license and you have an international driving license (it works even with a Visa TR 60 days, ... Simple Entry, Double Entry)

- go to immigration service ask for a certificate of residence, go with your rent contract copy (or other address proof), a copy of: the VISA page, first Passeport Page, Latest entry stamp page and Immigration form, and your passeport of course. Ask the certificate for driving license. It'll cost 500THB if I don't make mistake

- go to any clinic (even a small one), ask for an health certificate (for a driving license), it'll cost you around 100THB, sometimes they'll make you simple test (or just questions), and sometimes not

- make a copy of your actual driving license, and international driving license

- go to the Transport service with all your papers, don't forget your international driving license and your national driving license and of course your passeport, take a queue number, wait for the call of your number

- when they call you, go to 1st floor, give them all the papers, they'll give you a form to fill up, they can even do it for you

- they'll give you a colored card, wait for somebody to call the color of your card a make the queue

- here is the test: colors (Red, Orange, Green), check if you know how to brake quick, check if you know how to recognize distance

- after the test, wait again, they'll call you to pick up a form to bring to the cashier to pay (600THB if I don't make mistake again), the cashier will give you a number, wait for your call

- after they call you, they'll take a photo of you to print it into your new driving license (for 1 year)

- that's it you get it

It'll take you around 3 hours if you go there in the morning, and if there is no big Thaï hollidays arriving.

You also need to take a picture with you I am not sure if it 1 or 2 that are needed

You also need to take a picture with you I am not sure if it 1 or 2 that are needed

Yes picture, hum to ask the residence certificate it's 2 normally (but better to have more with you, and it will still useful for later administrative tasks).

For the Driver License, I don't remember if I was in need to give one, I don't think as they are taking photo with their webcam.

Ha I've forgot, before to go to do the driver license, don't forget to do and bring an other copy of the Visa Page, first passeport page, arrival stamp page & arrival form.

I don't know if there is any change about the TR Visa for Driving License, I've got a non-O and I've just made my 5 Years driving license.

Are you looking for an International Driving License? In most countries they are delivered by an automobile club. Strangely in Thailand they are delivered by the same agency that issues the regular driver license.

Type <http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/> and you will find that there is an automobile club that delivers IDL's. You can do it all by email and money transfer.

• Like 1

I posted this before but for your benefit ... I just got 2 years licences for car and bike with a 30 day visa exempt, in April. Only problem I had was Chonburi wanted my UK licence copy certified by the British embassy, so I got them in Chiang Mai no problem without the certified copy. These were my first Thai licences and I didn't have to do any tests, other than the colour test with the red, amber and green lights, as I already have my full UK car and bike licence. I was going to Chiang Mai anyway, that's why I got them there, I didn't make a special trip to get them.

Hi CMR.

Seems its just Chonburi that are being dicks, you got yours in CM and blackcab got his in BKK. Maybe i should do mine in BKK? I have to make an appt at the embassy to get my license verified and when I was looking on how to get an appt date online I noticed this 'new law' came into effect in March this year.

Needless to say that when i tried to click on the link to book an appt date, it came up as page not found!! Im ready to throw my laptop through the window bah.gif

A Tourist Visa is valid for 60 days + 30 day extension available.

A UK licence is legally accepted to drive within Thailand, the problem being with Insurance.

Most Insurance company's will only cover you for 90 days on a UK or IDL.

So why do you want a Thai DL if your on a Tourist Visa.

BKKdreaming - yes its the mileage, if I go to CM it will cost more in buses than what the embassy will charge me but if I can do in BKK that could be an option, have you any info I might need to know about the BKK driving centre? Like waiting times or any difficulties? Cheers

FAZ - thanks I did not know that, but if I am going to extend my stay, which I very well may be doing I will need a thai one. Im actually trying to do the right thing ya know, but getting to the stage where Im wandering why Im bothering haha. Another problem is that my CofR will be running out in about 2 weeks so need to get it done soon or my paperwork will become invalid and will have to do that again at immigration.

Below is the link for making an appt at the embassy but when I click the highlighted word "here" to open up to make appt, it goes to 'problem loading page'!?!

Anyone got a link for making appointment at British Embassy online that I can use? Im running out of time and in this heat, I dont want to get angry or I will be on TVF as a headline rather than a poster hahaah

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/british-embassy-in-bangkok-changes-appointment-system/37692/