Are More or Fewer Westerners Relocating to Thailand?

Scott

Are More or Fewer Westerners Relocating to Thailand?  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In sheer numbers 75% of my friends that retired here moved back to the USA. Some are thinking of visiting South America, some are considering returning to try Vietnam or PI.

The only friends that remain here are because they have a wife and home here. The single guys all left. The married guys whose spouse had a U.S. Passport are gone. The hardcore guys that used to come whenever they had vacation time are going elsewhere.

The complaints range from the visa system is a pain to just a general feeling that Thailand has changed since they opened the floodgates to the Chinese a few years ago.

I retired here in February. I thought I and my wife who holds a U.S. Passport would live on the beach and relax. But the reality is this place has changed. The infrastructure is overwhelmed by masses of Chinese tourists. Their busses block traffic such that it feels like I'm in Bangkok at times. Their sheer numbers and lack of civility ruin the beach or any destination you take the family to. I came to Thailand because of its slow pace, nice beaches, etc. Sadly this looks more like a province in China than the Thailand I remembered.

Hopefully Hua Hin is better as we are going there next week. I heard Phuket is overrun with Chinese as well?

Those darn Asians!

Why do they need to visit Asia?

Once Americans were considered the rudist tourists.

I always thought the Germans were very harsh and rude..

Then came the damn Russians!

Now it's the Chinese....

Who's next?

Seems there is always someone not to like!coffee1.gif

Its the nature of the beast

In sheer numbers 75% of my friends that retired here moved back to the USA. Some are thinking of visiting South America, some are considering returning to try Vietnam or PI.

The only friends that remain here are because they have a wife and home here. The single guys all left. The married guys whose spouse had a U.S. Passport are gone. The hardcore guys that used to come whenever they had vacation time are going elsewhere.

The complaints range from the visa system is a pain to just a general feeling that Thailand has changed since they opened the floodgates to the Chinese a few years ago.

I retired here in February. I thought I and my wife who holds a U.S. Passport would live on the beach and relax. But the reality is this place has changed. The infrastructure is overwhelmed by masses of Chinese tourists. Their busses block traffic such that it feels like I'm in Bangkok at times. Their sheer numbers and lack of civility ruin the beach or any destination you take the family to. I came to Thailand because of its slow pace, nice beaches, etc. Sadly this looks more like a province in China than the Thailand I remembered.

Hopefully Hua Hin is better as we are going there next week. I heard Phuket is overrun with Chinese as well?

Went to Pattaya with the wife a few weeks back for a Bangkok-free weekend. Riding down Pattaya Beach Rd. and saw about 50-60 people on the promenade (sidewalk) by the beach. I thought a new market had opened so I stopped to check it out. Then I saw 4 huge tour buses parked on the opposite side. They were Chinese waiting to get an umbrella & chair.

How do you know what hotel the Chinese are staying in? There are eight tour buses parked in front.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hua Hin is still Chinese free on the beaches ...Koh Takiab beach is the best in Thailand at the southern end of the city 10 mins drive from centre with pristine beaches,unpolluted seas.& no as yet Chineses coaachs unlike Cha AM 20 mins drive North where Fri-Mon it is jam packed full of them...so come & enjoy this serene & beautiful city & it's superb beaches....you will find peace here again.

We stayed in Hua Hin back last November and the only other three couples in our beach hotel were Chinese. They spent the majority of their time in their rooms with aircon', walking to the nearest 7-eleven for food, or in the free swimming pool. Don't think they added much to the local economy as they didn't venture far. My guess would be that it will be another 12 to 18 months and then Hua Hin will be swarming with Chinese.

My Thai wife and I moved from Darwin eight years ago and now live in a village southwest of Lampang - I am the only Farang here and I know of only a handful of others in Lampang itself though I've been told there are quite a few here.

We visit our family back in Oz every couple of years and I have ex-RAAF mates over in Chiangmai, but I don't miss any interaction with they ot other westerners. We enjoy the quiet life and our six dogs - sometimes they let us out to play...

There are people in Darwin we know who are planning to retire to Thailand in the future but to my knowledge there has been no noticeable increase or decrease in Farang here in Lampang.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Back in 1999 I purchased retirement property in Thailand to move there in a few years. In 2005 I was ready to go, but lucky for me I changed my mind. I sold my property in Thailand and bought property in China where I have been living since. I saw the writing on the wall back in 2005 when I changed my mind. A decision I do not regret.

I used to travel there several times a year, but have stayed away the last 4 years and travel to much more pleasant places in Asia. Thailand has degraded into a crap hole place, even the Thai people have changed for the much worse. I do not feel welcome or safe there anymore. You all can have it.

I wouldn't live in Thailand on a bet.

Back in 1999 I purchased retirement property in Thailand to move there in a few years. In 2005 I was ready to go, but lucky for me I changed my mind. I sold my property in Thailand and bought property in China where I have been living since. I saw the writing on the wall back in 2005 when I changed my mind. A decision I do not regret.

I used to travel there several times a year, but have stayed away the last 4 years and travel to much more pleasant places in Asia. Thailand has degraded into a crap hole place, even the Thai people have changed for the much worse. I do not feel welcome or safe there anymore. You all can have it.

Totally agree.with you, i posted a though some thing similar to yours a few years back and got slated. Thailand has changed for the worse, To many restrictions on Foreign

people, to many Double standards, It is now starting to bite back even in trade.deals.

Yet you still retain sufficient interest in the country to follow this thread and post?

I assume that there are a number of people who have become fed up with Thailand, for personal, financial or even political reasons, and are off elsewhere.

I assume that there are a number of people who have become fed up with wherever they live, for personal, financial or even political reasons, and are off to Thailand.

I suspect that over time they balance each other out.

That was always the case.

I'm one of those desperate family types, so I will be staying.

The visa situation hasn't really changed, they just seem to be enforcing the rules - I suspect that they got fed up with the number of people who were taking the piss! A classic example of this, a couple of years ago I went to a UK consulate to get my annual visa, armed with the right paperwork, was given my visa straight away, the chap before me was refused. He was most upset as mine was granted. His sole proof of any connection to the country for a non immigrant visa was a three year old bank statement!

Yes it's no longer so easy to waltz into a job as a teacher based on having a white face and speaking English, some (fairly rudimentary) qualifications are now required. I suspect that too may be a result of people taking the piss!

To close, I'm surprised that anyone wants to go and live in Mexico - must be like living in Fallujah!

Edited by JAG

Wouldn't it be wonderful if our friends at immigration could somehow how get their act together and install some software and give us and the world at large an approximation of how many foreigners are living in Thailand, and whether that number is going up or down, or staying the same.

It would be even more interesting if those stats could be broken down by location : Pattaya, Hua Hun, Phuket, Issan etc. etc. to say nothing of breaking it down by nationality, age, marital status, nationality of spouse (local or expat) etc and so forth.

Of course pigs might fly.

So in the absence of this, I think this thread is the closest I have seen for many a year in trying to get a feel as to who is coming, who is going, and who is staying along with their nationalities, circumstances and rationale.

Already a sort of pattern starting to emerge - and I find some of the posts fascinating, so AFAIC please keep them coming. The more posts there are, the better and we might be able to get a rough handle on what is actually happening here with regards to foreign 'residents' and why people are coming/leaving/ staying.

Many thanks to the OP. (I will be posting my own feelings /observations on this subject shortly.)

Edited by Mobi

I live in rural Thailand, I would suggest the numbers based on what I have observed are multiplying rapidly, now, whether this is "new" people, or people finally seeing the benefits of being in what I would call the "real" Thailand and relocating away from the over priced touristy areas is another matter, that night explain why some feel the numbers are dropping. BUT are they dropping from moving out od Thailand, or just moving on to another area, that's the question.

I think you have to consider China,

as they leaving their homeland,

so you may get less chinese there than here in LOS, or other SE countries;

Thailand have changed a lot !

First in pricing,

same food quality and special quantity have changed to very bad

( on my last seafood Tom Jum Seafood i found still 2 small srimps - for nearly 4,- ! Euros !! )

Second in friendly : Propably of this mass of Russian and Chinese hordes -

thai people start to think all farongs are bad now like them;

( Last time in Rangsit BIgC - 4 sales person were watching a few chinese customers that

all goods were remain on shells, not opened or used - eaten - druncan in the shop already -

was really funny how all shop people were running around the shelfs to watch them !! )

Unfriendleness on the market ( Jomtien - night market - you have not time to place your order quiet and relaxed,

as ruthless Chinese and Russias step in in front of you to owerdraw your voice,

to be surfed first - same time blarring with others which ordering on neighbouring shops -

Thanks Thailand - I dont want to stay accompanied with such tourists !!

I am just left in Thailand as must by my Thai family and kids -

otherwise -

Thailand - buy buy !!

One of the reasons that this topic came up had to do with a few people I know who had been in Thailand for quite a few years and recently had decided to leave. These were not disgruntled expats, but people who just felt that Thailand had changed for the worse -- or as one said, not necessarily worse, but in such a way that it wasn't as interesting as it had been in the past.

I also was invited to an unofficial office-type party with some colleagues and was very surprised to find out that two of my Thai colleagues were relocating to the US. This was a shock as one will be leaving her child in Thailand at least for one year. As we were talking another (a guy from Africa) also mentioned that he was leaving Thailand and would be going to school in the US. He leaves this week.

My partner of 23 years is now filling out the papers to move to the US. I am staying put here in Thailand for now, but it will be a big change.

I am glad for the people in CM who have the CM expat's club which does do a lot to help out farangs (and others). CM has been a prime destination for retirees for some time and a number of people that I have worked with moved there when they retired.

Thailand is getting more 'civilized' and is vastly different from when I was first here. It doesn't feel so different from many Western countries -- there are some exceptions, but the foods are available, the laws have changed and the rough and tumble times of years gone by are gone. That's not all bad as some of us ol' cowboys get a bit older!

so you prefer China as it is better !

Hope you still by good health - bodywise - that you write like this !!

My Thai wife and I moved from Darwin eight years ago and now live in a village southwest of Lampang - I am the only Farang here and I know of only a handful of others in Lampang itself though I've been told there are quite a few here.

We visit our family back in Oz every couple of years and I have ex-RAAF mates over in Chiangmai, but I don't miss any interaction with they ot other westerners. We enjoy the quiet life and our six dogs - sometimes they let us out to play...

There are people in Darwin we know who are planning to retire to Thailand in the future but to my knowledge there has been no noticeable increase or decrease in Farang here in Lampang.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Your comment says it all !

You living with 6 dogs, rather than with Thais or others !!

Thailand is much more expensive than it used to be. The overall numbers are down, but it does seem there are more people in employment and owning businesses away from tourist areas here.

The old type of ex-pat here are now getting what they came for in South America, Phillipines, Cambodia, Eastern Europe etc....... it's all the Japanese fault. wink.png

Thailand has become over priced for what it offers for them and most other ex-pats.

As said it does seem more ex-pats you meet here are employed and or with families.

The ex-pat night owl numbers in tourist towns and in lower Sukhumvit seem to be down massively.

And yes the tourist numbers will continue to decline for several reasons, but yes because of the Chinese tourists making every tourist attraction unbearable and no they aren't comparable to other previous tourist groups as the other tourists didn't come in groups of hundreds treating anybody else as if they don't exist.

yes all is changing,

last year still 4 Indian guys collected the money for 1 gogo girl,

this year, 3 of them could already collect enough for 1 !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hua Hin is still Chinese free on the beaches ...Koh Takiab beach is the best in Thailand at the southern end of the city 10 mins drive from centre with pristine beaches,unpolluted seas.& no as yet Chineses coaachs unlike Cha AM 20 mins drive North where Fri-Mon it is jam packed full of them...so come & enjoy this serene & beautiful city & it's superb beaches....you will find peace here again.

Thanks for the reply. With a that I will book more nights. My wife brought our cat so I'm here until September when Eva Air will allow him back on so maybe we will end up staying if Hua Hin turns out.

I live in Chiang Mai, on the Outer Ring road near BoSang. Those of you who live here will know where I'm talking about. That puts me and my wife about 15 kilometers east of the city proper, and that's just fine with both of us. We live in a moo ban of about 100 houses, with only one other American and his Thai wife, and one German with his Thai family.

So, needless to say, we're "off the beaten path" of tourists and others out here, and don't really notice it till we go into the city. Then it's Big Change! Definitely more foreigners of various nationalities than there was when I moved here 7 years ago. The most notable difference is at CM Immigration. 7-8 years ago, you could show up just about any time of day and do your 90 day in 20 minutes or less. No long waits for Visa extensions, etc. Definitely not true any more. Now if you want a Marriage or Retirement extension, you have to get there around 4 am (or pay someone to do it for you), to get an early queue number. 90 day extensions can take 1-3 hours, depending on when you get there. Supposedly they are opening a new, bigger office near the Government Complex in Mae Rim, but so far it's only talk.

Most of the ones I have met are either Brits or Canadians, and surprisingly few Americans, but have no idea why in regards to that fact.

The one positive thing I've noted is that there are more good western style restaurants, so that's a plus.

For what it is worth...

I am American and I know a major factor with how many Americans visit or live in Thailand is the 20+ hour flight to get here and then return home.

If you are a large farang like me, 6 foot 3 inches, that is a very uncomfortable flight in a little airplane seat!

Most people who live in Thailand, do still like to visit friends and family back home from time to time.

I have had flights with difficulties that took more then 35 hours to get from BKK to San Francisco!

Keep in mind, the only flights from USA to Thailand are from California,( either San Francisco or L.A. ) and if you do not live in California, it requires other flights just to get to California.

I think this is the reason you see far fewer people in Thailand from USA than you do from Europe, Australia, or Asia.

Just about everything found in Thailand can be found much closer to USA as well.

I don't think this is true. I used to fly IAD NRT BKK. There used to be a direct, non stop Thai Airways BKK to LAX, and one that was BKK to New York, but no more. Now you have to stop at least once. So plenty of flights from Chicago, NYC, DC, etc. where you go through Tokyo. One stop total, just like out of SFO or LAX.

But your point is well taken. It's just too long a flight no matter how you do it. Plus, jet lag from crossing up to 12 time zones. It takes me two weeks to get over it.

Edited by mesquite

The Chinese influx doen't even register in my radar...not all of us live in Pattaya/Hua Hin and what not.

A quick rundown of reasons for me would be (in no particular order)

Higher prices (strong baht), not much rapport/fun with thais anymore, thai women have become 'ugly' in more ways than one,relatively difficult visas, no rapport among farangs (loners, alcoholics, nutcases, family types)

The only 'constant' left over is the eternal summer.

For many people this is not reaon enough to stay.

I know exactly what you mean!

Those damn "family types".

They ruin Thailand for everyone.

Not running around spending money like there is no tomorrow.

Making the bar girls feel neglected and depressed.

Not expecting the people of Thailand to be more like the people "back home".

Those "family types" they are very dangerous and very boring! (sarc )

I am a "family type" and would not have it anyother way.

This is not Disneyland for me...it is home.

The Chinese influx doen't even register in my radar...not all of us live in Pattaya/Hua Hin and what not.

A quick rundown of reasons for me would be (in no particular order)

Higher prices (strong baht), not much rapport/fun with thais anymore, thai women have become 'ugly' in more ways than one,relatively difficult visas, no rapport among farangs (loners, alcoholics, nutcases, family types)

The only 'constant' left over is the eternal summer.

For many people this is not reaon enough to stay.

I totally agree with that.

yes I too would like that information and possible become a member. Never heard of this club

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

Is this an expats club or a retired immigrant club?

Why don't you attend their next meeting and play "Spot the UKIP'er" ?

There are several expat associations in Pattaya with some reportedly better than others but generally all of them are quite a good way for a newbie to get their bearings. As NancyL remarks with the uptick in farang couples as new members, I am pretty sure that the retirement publications that sold them on the country didn't do a 'warts and all' presentation of life in LOS. Chiang Mai Immigration sounds as horrendous as Phuket and Samui's (with lower charges). Having said that, Jomtien requires closer attention to times and dates in order to get business done there in a timely manner (with lower charges).

Among my peers, apart from the ones shuffling off their mortal coil, most seem to be staying here and that includes the single ones and the ones with grown families that have flown the coop already. A friend of mine bumped into a guy that used to hang out with us back in the '80's who we hadn't seen for at least 15 years, still living in the area. We were assuming that he had left long ago but just another one that quietly withdrew from socialising and living in self-imposed exile.

I think there will be a much faster turnaround than before with younger people, both single and couples, not getting as 'hooked' on Thailand as their predecessors and either moving on quicker or making Thailand just one of several 'homes' as they work remotely thus spending less time here per year.

The ex-pat night owl numbers in tourist towns and in lower Sukhumvit seem to be down massively.

If this is true, then it's great news. I hope it keeps going down massively more. If we're lucky, the sexpats will choose Cambodia or the PI...or Latin America, in the future.

i live a couple of minutes from Phuket Airport. Although there has recently been a huge growth in the number of condos, businesses and hotels in this area, I have not really seen any increase in the number of foreigners living here ==> meaning that I can almost count them on the fingers of one hand. Apart from me, there is a Russian family and an Indian family, both whose husbands work at the airport.

There has been a big increase in the number of western and Asian tourists 'passing through', but that is to be expected. Apart from speaking with my hotel guests in English, every other daily conversation that I have has to be in Thai.

I am sure there has been an increase in the number of foreigners moving to Phuket to live in their 'ghettos' in the southern part of the island, but I guess recent events - political (Phuket reputation for scams etc etc) and economic (Russian, Euro, Aussie currency exchange rates) - will negatively affect that immigration.

I stay in Thailand for the weather and my business, and because my dysfunctional Thai family (ex and extended family and kindergarten), would become even more dysfunctional (if that is possible), if I were not on hand to manage them :)

yes I too would like that information and possible become a member. Never heard of this club

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/

Is this an expats club or a retired immigrant club?

Wow, what a lucid and well thought out question... I think I will let you find out for yourself, but if someone shows up at the next meeting with dreadlocks, piercings on their face and wearing beggar pants along with a tie-died wife beater, we will know who it is...

See how stereotypes work? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Loptr

I live in the US but will be moving thee next may when I retire. The farang shake down episodes gave me pause tho. I thought about central and South America but let's face it Thailand is unique. I have been to Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil , Colombia as well as Costa Rica & Mexico. All nice places to visit but boredom sets in quickly. I am still considering the Phils as I consider it the next hear thing to Thailand. But all things being equal I still would choose LOS. Easy for me to say I know since I am on the outside looking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

With ever tightening rules and regulations which come with a rather disturbing aftertaste of racism, a military junta with a planless leader at the helm who is so in love with himself, and who believes that politics reduce to the tasks of implementing more erratic rules and regulations and babbling useless phrases in front of cameras; with increasing prices, a decline in quality of services, decline of friendliness of Thais towards westerners, and the fact that an investor or house/property buyer in this country owns nothing and has next to none rights regardless of how many millions of Baht or dollars he/she has invested here, mixed with the actual economic situation, it is no wonder that numbers of foreigners relocating to Thailand are in a major nose dive. Too many westerners have realised: Once the superficial Thai smile fades, the true colors shine through and those colors are darker than a Waffen SS uniform.

Edited by catweazle

I do not know if overall numbers have increased or decreased.

But, I do think the number of westerners has increased quite a bit here in Issan over the past few years.

Talking to them, I find many have lived in southern westernized Thailand previously and have either recently discovered the difference here in Issan, or have recently tired of the westernized style of life and tourist influence in the south.

As far as actual figures of those living in Thailand, would it be possible to gt some numbers from Thai Immigration on that?

If you can stick it in the sticks you've never had it so good regarding falang company but in the towns and cities the numbers are, I think, down due to increased costs and decreased gay (in the old sense of the word) abandon.

so you prefer China as it is better !

Hope you still by good health - bodywise - that you write like this !!

Yes, China IS better. As far as healthcare is concerned, I go to Bumrungrad for check ups and care. Then I head out of LOS as fast as I can. This is also the reason I stay plugged into this forum. I want to be informed before I travel into LOS.