Are More or Fewer Westerners Relocating to Thailand?

Scott

Are More or Fewer Westerners Relocating to Thailand?  

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been here nine years this October and have already purchased my ticket for Mexico. I could be perfectly happy for the rest of my life in Thailand if it weren't for the present government. My little inner voice is saying "get the heck outta Dodge," this man is not playing with a full deck of cards and that will eventually trickle down to all facets of life. It's already bad enough - as a musician it is illegal for me to play UNPAID in public, but the harassment from the BIB in Bangkok described by an earlier post can get worse as they grow bolder when the PM gets cemented into his position. And there are other circumstances we can't even mention on this forum that are going to cause a great upheaval. I don't want to be around for ANY of that. I arrived when Thaksin was ousted, and not a THING was noticed by me or my friends. THIS PM is making serious waves felt by all!

Funny, I was chatting with a foreigner last week that moved to Chiang Mai last year from Mexico after living there for many years... His reason, safety.. The cartels of narco trafficantes have all but taken over the country, even down on the Yucatan peninsula... I know folks that retired to Monterey 10 years ago and have since moved on, either back to the US or to Costa Rica and Panama... Living in Texas we used to cross the border into Mexico on weekends for holidays... Not anymore considering that hundreds of Americans have disappeared after crossing in Mexico over the last 10 years... Good luck and take care to keep your head attached living in Mexico these days...

I spent 10 yrs. in Mexico and wished I would have skipped that and come to Thailand. Immigration there is harder to work with and the girls are not like here. The Macho Mexicans keep their ladies corralled even their g/f's and the richer they are the more g/f's. Its a money power thingee same as here. Mexicans out and out do not like you because they have a grudge going back to the American/Mexican war and if your white your a gringo/American. Things are more expensive there and the mosquito's are bigger and more plentiful. I was married to a Mexican (big mistake) years ago and her brother was coming home alone in the truck after selling a milk machine to a farmer. He came over a hill and was confronted by what he thought was a Federales roadblock but in fact they were banditos (Mexico is full of them) They found his money under the truck seat and after ruffing him up they threw him over a steep hill. Luckily he rolled against a tree before hitting bottom as they meant to kill him. Do not get a little high and let the word drugs slip out in conversation it could be your last words.

Best bet if you want to pretend to live in Mexico but be happy is go to the Philippines get a girl and move to San Antonio. It's a little bit more expensive but you will live to tell the tale.

Better food and the lady will speak Spanish ....... you get the idea.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been here nine years this October and have already purchased my ticket for Mexico. I could be perfectly happy for the rest of my life in Thailand if it weren't for the present government. My little inner voice is saying "get the heck outta Dodge," this man is not playing with a full deck of cards and that will eventually trickle down to all facets of life. It's already bad enough - as a musician it is illegal for me to play UNPAID in public, but the harassment from the BIB in Bangkok described by an earlier post can get worse as they grow bolder when the PM gets cemented into his position. And there are other circumstances we can't even mention on this forum that are going to cause a great upheaval. I don't want to be around for ANY of that. I arrived when Thaksin was ousted, and not a THING was noticed by me or my friends. THIS PM is making serious waves felt by all!

Funny, I was chatting with a foreigner last week that moved to Chiang Mai last year from Mexico after living there for many years... His reason, safety.. The cartels of narco trafficantes have all but taken over the country, even down on the Yucatan peninsula... I know folks that retired to Monterey 10 years ago and have since moved on, either back to the US or to Costa Rica and Panama... Living in Texas we used to cross the border into Mexico on weekends for holidays... Not anymore considering that hundreds of Americans have disappeared after crossing in Mexico over the last 10 years... Good luck and take care to keep your head attached living in Mexico these days...

I spent 10 yrs. in Mexico and wished I would have skipped that and come to Thailand. Immigration there is harder to work with and the girls are not like here. The Macho Mexicans keep their ladies corralled even their g/f's and the richer they are the more g/f's. Its a money power thingee same as here. Mexicans out and out do not like you because they have a grudge going back to the American/Mexican war and if your white your a gringo/American. Things are more expensive there and the mosquito's are bigger and more plentiful. I was married to a Mexican (big mistake) years ago and her brother was coming home alone in the truck after selling a milk machine to a farmer. He came over a hill and was confronted by what he thought was a Federales roadblock but in fact they were banditos (Mexico is full of them) They found his money under the truck seat and after ruffing him up they threw him over a steep hill. Luckily he rolled against a tree before hitting bottom as they meant to kill him. Do not get a little high and let the word drugs slip out in conversation it could be your last words.

Best bet if you want to pretend to live in Mexico but be happy is go to the Philippines get a girl and move to San Antonio. It's a little bit more expensive but you will live to tell the tale.

Better food and the lady will speak Spanish ....... you get the idea.

When discussing the advantages and disadvantages of living in Thailand- it all depends on perspective, and age, and time in country. I first came 50 years ago when I was 20 years old . Everything was low priced and foreigners treated as if they were special. Since then Thailand and the World economy has progressed. However, what has regressed everywhere is ethics. Business owners and top managers have become greedy and raised prices on goods and service to levels that cannot be supported. The wealthy are becoming increasingly wealthy; middle class stagnant or falling lower and those left remaining impoverished. The United States where I was born is an example of the most materialistic capitalism on Earth. Americans are not better off- This has caused more pressure on the average worker to be more productive and less happy. Thailand has followed suit-the average Thai makes more money but has to pay more in living costs. It is all part of the quest for more consumer goods, most of which are worthless. When I look at Thailand now- I find a population that is fatigued- but essentially still friendly -not as genuine as 50 years ago but more genuine that you will find in most other countries. Depending on your lifestyle, you can still live pretty comfortably in Thailand whether your monthly income is 30 thousand baht per month or 300 hundred thousand. Obviously the higher incomes will provide more choices. I used 30,000 as a minimum based upon a Western mindset. Thai people get by on much less. However, other countries now offer similar comforts at affordable prices. What has changed is in the past- there were not many choices- Thailand was prime- now it is one among many. What is best for me may not be best for you- but now you have many choices. Make sure you examine the pros and cons of the country you are considering. For me, I will stick with Thailand- for better or worse- till death do us part.

Best Wishes and Cheers.....

Not trying to be a wise guy, and for sure I haven't been here long enough (year and a half) to compare nowadays with the good ol' days, but what (generally or specifically) are you alluding to in your final sentence above? I understand about the music in public issue, but...

I don't read much about Thai politics or Thai-farang relations, it's true. I am aware that there are tons (literally, LOL) of Chinese here in Chiang Mai, but they seem to add color to the place, especially the beautiful females, and there can be no doubt that they're helping the economy. I have a fair amount of farang friends, and I don't notice them complaining much about the current political situation.

So please, relieve me of my ignorance. I'm naive, yes, I admit it, but I'm open to new ideas and facts.

(I realize this thread has probably peaked, and I probably won't get an answer. So be it).

His last sentence means things are changing in Thailand. It is becoming more honest. Laws are starting to be enforced. Like it or not Thailand is getting better. I have a 10 year old and a 15 year old granddaughters. Now for school they are using a computer not a cheap knock of pad with useless programs in it. It is a real one that they have to think in order to use. The reality is that Thailand is moving ahead now. The poster was probably getting away with a lot of things he was not supposed to do but the government turned a blind eye to. As for musicians just jamming in a public business we had two stopped here in Chiang Mai one had a member who was all over face book about not having a visa and making lots of money in other projects. The other was a group with one member who was wanted by the police.

Now if he had said he would rather not be here if the King dies I could understand his fear. Mods if you see fit to remove that bit feel free to do so.