Dessicated Coconut?

leisurely

I have been to TOPS, Foodland, Big C and Tesco and not found it. Why? It is the land of blooming coconuts for goodness sake. Me and the girls want to make some biscuits and one of the ingredients is DC> Short of going into town to Villa (where presumably you could get it at premium prices :o ) does anyone have any ideas?

I have been to TOPS, Foodland, Big C and Tesco and not found it. Why? It is the land of blooming coconuts for goodness sake. Me and the girls want to make some biscuits and one of the ingredients is DC> Short of going into town to Villa (where presumably you could get it at premium prices :o ) does anyone have any ideas?

You're not going mad, we looked for it everywhere too, the places you suggested and also the Gourmet Markets at both Emporium and Paragaon. It's nowhere to be found! I ended up buying some at an import-grocery store in Hong Kong last time I was there.

The other thought I had was wondering if it's possible to make it yourself? I thought of buying a fresh coconut, scraping the insides out with something like a lemon zester (or scooping hunks out and grating it) and then gently drying it out in the oven... has anyone tried such a thing or have any idea if this would work?

The other thought I had was wondering if it's possible to make it yourself? I thought of buying a fresh coconut, scraping the insides out with something like a lemon zester (or scooping hunks out and grating it) and then gently drying it out in the oven... has anyone tried such a thing or have any idea if this would work?

Where I live the neighbours all have either electric or hand made tools to scrape the inside of the coconut. The hand made tool is basically a small stool with what can only be described as a sharp scraper at one end. The person then sits on the stool and scrapes the inside of the coconut on the scraper, and the cocnut meat then is collected into the bowl underneath. They then only have to leave the coconut out in the sun for maybe half a day and its ready = (dessicated coconut).

But these villagers don't use dried cocnut for cakes but for cooking curries and other Thai dishes.

So perhaps if you live up country you could ask some of your neighbours if they have such a machine - and have a go at making your own dessicated coconut?