Liability For Thai Wife's Debts

robint

Hi all

can anyone suggest what the position is if your thai wife (married under thai law only) incurs commercial debts such as hire purchase agreements bank loans etc and defaults on these loans. Can the recovery agents come after the falang husband to settle the debt (assuming he is normally resident in thailand and hasnt already fled the country). Can the agents seize assets from the husband? or sue or otherwise imprison the husband? Albeit that he has not in any way guaranteed the loans and his name does not appear on any documents.

I stress commercial debts rather than dubious gambling debts, which as we all know are exttra judicial and you would probably be killed if you didnt pay your wifes debts (I know this nearly happened to a Swiss guy after his wifes visits to Poipet, but he was tipped off and fled the country)

If this is too difficult, anyone suggest an authoritative legal source or advisor

Hope i have posted in the right place

Hi all

can anyone suggest what the position is if your thai wife (married under thai law only) incurs commercial debts such as hire purchase agreements bank loans etc and defaults on these loans. Can the recovery agents come after the falang husband to settle the debt (assuming he is normally resident in thailand and hasnt already fled the country). Can the agents seize assets from the husband? or sue or otherwise imprison the husband? Albeit that he has not in any way guaranteed the loans and his name does not appear on any documents.

I stress commercial debts rather than dubious gambling debts, which as we all know are exttra judicial and you would probably be killed if you didnt pay your wifes debts (I know this nearly happened to a Swiss guy after his wifes visits to Poipet, but he was tipped off and fled the country)

If this is too difficult, anyone suggest an authoritative legal source or advisor

Conversely if the farang husband incurs various debts is his Thai wife liable for these debts also ?

Hi all

Conversely if the farang husband incurs various debts is his Thai wife liable for these debts also ?

Only the funeral expenses I think :o:D:D

I'm afraid you are liable for debts incurred within the marriage. A joint Court Order may be obtained against you and your wife and Attachment to Income Orders, or Sale of Assets Orders processed. Same scenario if the husband has debts in Thailand. Of course no imprisonment unless a Court Order is not adhered to.

Agents can seize nothing, only by Court Order.