Letter Of Certification

The only document I'm lacking to apply for a retirement visa is the 'Letter of Certification'. I'm talking about the one that verifies 65,000 baht a month income. Is there an actual standard form one gets from the US Embassy or does the Embassy just notorize a document I create?

I looked in the 'pinned' documents and didn't see a 'Letter of Certification'.

Thanks. LDB

You go to ACSU in the Consulate area of the old Embassy building and ask for the form for retirement income. They provide the form with blanks to fill in. You fill it out and pay the 1,200 baht notary fee at cashier and return to window to hand it in with passport - they then call you and you sign form. Allow an hour or so as it gets rather busy with lost passports and those getting marriage paperwork.

I'm trying not to have to travel to BKK or Chiang Mai to get this one form (I live in Udon Thani). I have emailed the US Embassy in Laos with my problem and received this reply (in red):

The Embassy does not provide a 'letter of certification' per se. Rather, we can notarize a statement by you attesting to your assets. You can come to the Embassy Monday through Thursday from 1:00 to 4:00 or Friday 08:00 to 11:00 and 1:00 to 4:00 to get a notarized statement. The cost for a notarization is $30 and must be paid in cash.

Regards,

Phil Nervig

Consular Officer

Vientiane, Laos

I have a print-out from Thai immigration that shows the items needed for the retirement visa. Item #7 says, "A Letter of Certification from the Embassy or Consulate......etc.". It does not say the Embassy need be located in Thailand so I assume the US Embassy in Laos would work. So how do I get my hands on this 'form for retirement income'? Can someone 'pin' a blank form here?

I would not assume. You might want to check with Nong Khai Immigration first.

Good suggestion. I was just gonna try and see what happens.....but no sense blowing $30 bucks if they won't accept. Tomorrow is Friday I can just go to the Nong Khai extension branch in downtown Udon Thani.