HiFi equipment repair

bdevaux

I don't know how often TV members need to get their hifi equipment repaired. But, recently, I've had very good experiences with two places.

Several months ago, PRS Modify did a rebuild of my almost 40 year old Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers and, more recently, refurbished my Apt Holman preamp. They have a website (http://www.prsmodify.com) so you can see the range of work he does. Unfortunately Khun Paitoon's English isn't very good and he's located a bit far out on Chaeng Wattana so you'll need a car. But he does excellent work and is inexpensive.

Arm Hi-Fi got a recently purchased 40+ year old turntable into great sounding shape. Also, quality work at very reasonable rated. Khun Baum is located off Soi Rachadapisek 3, quite close to Fortune Town. He has a Facebook page at Arm_hi-Fi & Pa and his English is so-so. His phone number is 083-178-2171.

I can provide more details about the work I had done if anyone wants to know. Reliable, honest techs are hard to find but I'm very pleased with the work done by both these guys.

Bill

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
I just went to Arm Hi-Fi today to get my Onkyo surround-sound amp repaired. It is located on the ground floor of the Grand Palace condominium at the end of Soi Yuu Jareon 7, which connects to Racthada soi 3.

Here are the coordinates:

13.764711, 100.563452

Everything they have in the shop is seriously high-end gear for serious audiophiles. I felt ashamed to be bringing in my Onkyo amp. Although it's a nice amp, it really doesn't compare to exclusive gear that Arm Hi-Fi stocks.

The guy at the shop was very nice. I think that he probably doesn't speak English, but he may (we spoke in Thai). He said that he would have a look at my amp and get back to me by tomorrow.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I contacted Piyanas from where I bought a Polk sub some 5 years ago and asked him the best for repairs... he didn't hesitate, he just said 'take it to Powerbuy'. I'm guessing the best tactic will be simply to get all the electrolytic capacitors replaced so I have high hopes on it... replacements are crazy expensive in Thailand.

Two years ago I became aware that you can take anything you like into Central for repair, so I guess Piyanas rate it well.

I contacted Piyanas from where I bought a Polk sub some 5 years ago and asked him the best for repairs... he didn't hesitate, he just said 'take it to Powerbuy'. I'm guessing the best tactic will be simply to get all the electrolytic capacitors replaced so I have high hopes on it... replacements are crazy expensive in Thailand.

Two years ago I became aware that you can take anything you like into Central for repair, so I guess Piyanas rate it well.

Powerbuy are the Thai importer / distributor for Polk, that’s why they told you to take it there.

I had a “moment” the other week, my Polk HTS 12 Sub stopped working (I had it plugged into a UPS and there wasn’t enough juice to power it, no biggie)

Before I worked out the issue, I called the retailer, he said “take to powerbuy central festival” - huh? It weights 22kg, do you want my wife to balance it on her legs while I drive the scooter?

I tried to speak to someone at a powerbuy on the phone, but they didn’t understand and were of no help, the original retailer wouldn’t help.

That was the moment that I regretted buying a Polk system. Maybe a klipsch has better service.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app