New Taco Stand in Central Pattaya

marinediscoking

No, local Thais won't.

But visiting Thais from Bangkok might.

I am aware that better Mexican food has become trendy among hiso and wannabe hiso Thais.

Pattaya market decent Mexican would need to rely heavily on the North American expat base.

There might not be enough numbers and yes I agree to do it properly the costs would need to be higher.

Pastrami and Rye gets a lot of that base but of course American style deli sandwiches have a wider appeal than only that.

They are filling the seats selling sandwiches between 280 and 350 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me I don't need three tacos for 99 Baht.....I would be happier to get one really good taco for that price......a stall selling that kind of thing might fly.

Quality has to be excellent and consistent though.

How come someone cannot simply make a perfect copy of a push taco stand

that are all over the Baja ??? The tacos are produced instantly, and there are

lots of great toppings for them. You don't even need a store front. The first

person to do this will be rich....

Tacos_Floresta.jpg

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Tacos_Floresta.jpg

Well, yes and no.

The problem is that some of the raw ingredients are difficult (or even impossible) to source in Thailand and also you REALLY need chefs who grew up with the food and know how it's supposed to taste like to get it right. These chefs are generally going to Mexicans or the rare non-Mexican who has trained in their arts.

So to make all that happen, the food and chef costs are going to be higher so then the problem is finding an audience here willing to pay for that.

No it really can't be as cheap as in a Mexican street or Latino barrio in the U.S.

Edited by Jingthing

Tacos_Floresta.jpg

Well, yes and no.

The problem is that some of the raw ingredients are difficult (or even impossible) to source in Thailand and also you REALLY need chefs who grew up with the food and know how it's supposed to taste like to get it right. These chefs are generally going to Mexicans or the rare non-Mexican who has trained in their arts.

So to make all that happen, the food and chef costs are going to be higher so then the problem is finding an audience here willing to pay for that.

No it really can't be as cheap as in a Mexican street or Latino barrio in the U.S.

Thanks for your write up Jing . I go back to Sonoma Ca. in 3 weeks & At least 1/2 of the residents have roots from Mexico. I have a lot of spanish friends that I either worked with or hired at my auto body shops that invite me over for the real deal Mexican food. Stuff I hadn't seen much of in Baja Mexico. I even cooked them some Kreplach & they loved it. Recently they have carts just like in Mexico with authentic hand made Tacos & Burritos tamalies & everything in between . Real Gaucamole & salsa to die for. I lived on Mexican last year when I was in Sonoma. So good that the popular Taco Hell is now dying on the vine. I can't wait to be eating some awesome Mexican again.

The problem here is as you stated with the prices of real Guac. all the ingrediants besides the cillantro need to be shipped in & the cost really would be more like 99baht+ a Taco(which I would glady pay for good grinds) But this being Thailand I don't see it happening. I remember back in 2005 I heard tequilla reef was good but even the owner then Bob told me he couldn't be competitive & offer the good stuff due to import prices. I never cared for Tequilla reef back then & it was beeter then than now I hear but they did a great margarita & a good superbowl American food spread back then. So It is off to San Francisco Chinatown for some real Chinese & Sonoma for some Mexican & Chicago for some killer Pizza & deli! 3 weeks & counting!

Edited by Beardog

Look out Happy Taco, Here comes JT the 99 baht big spender LOL!

Yes.

I came.

I saw.

I tasted.

I ate.

I went away.

I won't be back!

Bravo JT.

I just got tired of all the over analysis of this place prior to trying it. I believe I am from the same neck of woods as yourself (Ca bay area) and share your love of good food. If this was a 300 baht + meal somewhere I understand, but the analysis this place was generating by you was ad nauseam.

Tacos_Floresta.jpg

Well, yes and no.

. Definitely Would Be A Day Without A Mexican...

You really need to bring a Mexican guy over and train your Crew, Tell him about all the Panoche over here, and Cheap and then send him home if he doesn't stay.i Wonder how Torta's would do over here, at least u wouldn't have to deal with a tortilla.

Edited by Dannyboy666

Mikes Tex Mex is the closest to the real thing I have found in Thailand.

Kurt

. How does it Compare to Sunrise Taco in Bangkok.

This is a "sensitive" topic given that one of the businesses you mentioned is a ThaiVisa sponsor (at least that is what I believe). I think I can say a few things: 1) IMHO, Mike's is better than Sunrise Tacos; 2) Mike's restaurant serves very bland food and the same sauce (chicken broth w/ a pinch of tomato and oregano and garlic and some pepper) seems to be on everything; 3) neither Sunrise Tacos or Mikes are close to the quality of food that is served at La Monita in Bangkok; 4) La Monita would not rank as a top Mexican food place in any place in the southern States of the USA. In sum: We do not have the real thing in Pattaya-Jomtien, Bangkok, or Thailand for that matter. La Monita stands out because of its potential--the owner does seem to understand something about Mexican cuisine. There are people who would love some great Mexican food and Thais are starting to discover Mexican food (albeit, not very good versions of it). Maybe one day we will finally get what we want in terms of Mexican food, and maybe pigs will learn to fly :)