For some Rohingya, greasing palms keeps away troubles in Thailand

webfact

For some Rohingya, greasing palms keeps away troubles in Thailand
Boonluen Promprathankul
The Nation
Ranong

RANONG: -- AS GRUESOME tales from migrant camps in Thailand's deep-South jungles are unfolding, many Rohingya in these southern provinces claim they are quietly paying bribes to avoid legal trouble.

"We have been paying some tea money to officials every month or else we may end up being prosecuted for illegal entry," said Joja.

Having fled from his home country, this Rohingya man has settled down in Ranong for over 20 years already.

Joja said for the Rohingya living in Thailand, their ultimate dream is to get an "identity card for a displaced Thai".

He pointed out that with such a card, the Rohingya could live like Thais. "They can do any job, get education and even buy land," he said.

Joja said some Rohingya had managed to get such cards after they paid agents a lump sum.

"These agents said they had connections with government officials," he said.

Zakee, also a Rohingya, said she had paid more than Bt30,000 for the card and now could move around in Thailand without fear.

"I don't have to lie low anymore," she said.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, an administrative official in Ranong suggested the illegitimate issuance of such ID cards to Rohingya was the work of officials who have already been punished.

"It happened before and it involved high-ranking officials. But these officials have already been fired," he said.

He also said that all applicants for the ID card for displaced Thais were now required to undergo a strict screening process.

Asked about the payment of monthly bribes, this official said, "I don't know if the problem still exists". He claimed there were not many Rohingya in Ranong now.

Aree, 54, who is married with eight children, said he was so happy that he was now officially considered a displaced Thai.

"Thais are kind. I live happily here. I will never go back to Myanmar," he said. This Rohingya and his wife sneaked into Thailand via Tak's Mae Sot district about 20 years ago. Today, both have ID cards of displaced Thais.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/For-some-Rohingya-greasing-palms-keeps-away-troubl-30259467.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-07

" This Rohingya and his wife sneaked into Thailand via Tak's Mae Sot district about 20 years ago. Today, both have ID cards of displaced Thais."

It beggars belief that the Thai government would give these criminals an ID.

Like I have said, they are economic refugees, not abducted and forced into slavery.

The only way to solve this problem is to get their home countries to act, like Vietnam did on their boat people.

Like I have said, they are economic refugees, not abducted and forced into slavery.

The only way to solve this problem is to get their home countries to act, like Vietnam did on their boat people.

Rohingya are denied citizenship, stateless, which dictates using illegal methods for crossing borders to escape the policies of repression by the Myanmar government.

Rohingya do voluntarily try to get out of Myanmar. If you were restricted by the State for movement, speech, marriage, children, access to healthcare, business & education with no means to resist the State - what would you do?

Rohingya are denied citizenship, stateless, which dictates using illegal methods for crossing borders to escape the policies of repression by the Myanmar government.

Rohingya do voluntarily try to get out of Myanmar. If you were restricted by the State for movement, speech, marriage, children, access to healthcare, business & education with no means to resist the State - what would you do?

The international community has to act, like they did in Vietnam. Then, Vietnam just won the war against the US, but still bowed to world pressure.

There is something intrinsically wrong with the mindset when a country like Thailand makes it so difficult for foreigners to settle and have equal rights with locals. That's why I will never retire here, even though I have two Thai children who are almost adults, and have been married to two Thais over 20 years (first wife died).

Greasing palms is a way of life for most Asian countries...immigrants and tourists are at the mercy of officials...officials who expect to be rewarded with extra pay for their ability to make your life miserable...

• 2 weeks later...

Notice the deafening slince from the former champiuon of human rights Aung San Suu Kyi? It would seem Myanmar is happy to hve this ethnic clansing take palce and the fate of the Rohingyan peolpe will be For Aung San Suu Kyi’s legacy.

Notice the deafing silence coming from Myanmar's former champion of human rights, Aung San Suu Kyi? Ethnic cleansing seems to be the fate of the Rohingya people and that will be Suu Kyi's final legacy.

Edited by lifeincnx