Stricter laws needed to ensure road safety in Thailand

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Sathithorn Ongdee

BANGKOK: -- THE NUMBER of cyclists killed in road accidents over the past few months might result in Thailand's already poor reputation over road safety being further tainted.

Thailand was recently slammed for its lax road-safety laws when a Chilean cyclist's quest to ride around the world in five years came to an abrupt end when he was run over here in February. A British couple on a similar around-the-world quest were also killed in the East of Thailand in February 2013.

Arguments have been raised about the main reasons for these deaths.

Some people blame the deaths on there not being enough bicycle lanes to match the rising popularity of this mode of transport, thanks to the successful campaign launched by the Tourism and Sports Ministry, while others blame the deaths on the rising number of cyclists on public road. Some say the roads in Thailand are not suitable for cyclists, while others put it down to motorists lacking "kindness" for those on two wheels.

Others have blamed it on cyclists not being "disciplined" on roads.

The reality, however, is that cycling is friendly to the environment and safe for people - it only becomes dangerous when cyclists have to share the road with irresponsible motorists.

So what does the government plan to do about this?

In the Chilean cyclist's case, the driver of the pickup truck was arrested on charges of causing death by dangerous driving and released on bail.

The charge carries a maximum term of 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000 under the Criminal Code.

The recent long weekend brought more depressing news. A female student who was driving under the influence ran over three Thai cyclists in the North, while another cyclist was run over on Ratchada-Ram Intra Road in Bangkok and many others injured.

According to government statistics, there have been more than 300 accidents per year involving cyclists between 2011 and 2014, though this number is a lot less than the 2,800 cyclists killed per year a decade ago.

Of course, the charges for these latest accidents would be the same as the ones handed out in the Chilean cyclist's case. However, since drunk driving is the cause of many road accidents, people should ask if the law on people driving under the influence is far too lax.

Also, both motorists and cyclists need to be trained on using the road safely.

Cyclists perhaps need to learn to signal their movements and follow universal traffic rules, while motorists should understand the meaning of the words "mercy and compassion".

Apart from running cycling campaigns, the government should also encourage people to be disciplined while using the roads and maintain law and order more strictly to keep roads safe for both motorists and cyclists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Stricter-laws-needed-to-ensure-road-safety-in-Thai-30259585.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-08

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point in creating new laws if they are not going to be enforced. I'm sure there are a plethora of existing laws that are applicable but they are ignored by one and all especially those whose job it is to enforce them.

No point in creating new laws if they are not going to be enforced. I'm sure there are a plethora of existing laws that are applicable but they are ignored by one and all especially those whose job it is to enforce them.

This is the bottom line isn't it, what's the good of more laws on the statute books when that's all there are ?

Enforcement is the answer but it just doesn't happen. Forget new laws and concentrate on getting BIB to do their job.

Now back to the real world !

What is wrong with the combined intelligence of the Thai legal system? Why can't they understand that laws are useless without enforcement and not just AFTER a tragic event but BEFORE to help prevent tragedies? In the US, police are constantly moving around their precinct keeping an eye out for violations of laws in an effort to prevent mishaps and protect the citizens. Let's be honest, citizens in the US (most not all) fear the consequences of being caught violating the laws. They know that the law enforcement folks are watching. What do you think would happen if the citizens no longer worried that law enforcement officials would be patrolling and watching? Very simple, just look at Thailand. Without law enforcement actively patrolling, citizens would do what they wanted and lives would be endangered. THAT is the problem here in Thailand especially on the roads. More laws will not change anything.

Given the disregard to following laws of the land, given the disregard for road etiquette, given the disregard for rooting out corrupt bribe tacking policemen and given the total inability to understand fundamental safety aspects then the only thing perhaps that would make significant in roads into reducing the Thai road accidents/murders/manslaughters/seeing ghosts/ fortune telling, then the only hope would be nationwide brain transplants.

There is, IMO, only one sensible and workable plan to fix traffic safety in this country...

1. No one can get a license without first passing a comprehensive government sponsored and highly subsidized driving school. It's the only way I can see in getting rid of very bad habits that one generation passes on to the next generation. Establish driver education classes in high schools where practical. i.e. in richer hi-so areas where children are likely to end up owning a car, especially one bought by their rich parents. A passing grade exempts them from the comprehensive schools. (won't work if corruption continues to be rampant).

2. Secondly, they must have roving motorbike and car patrols on all roads and highways ready to track down and pull over offenders and ticket them. The government must blanket the airways saying they do not have to EVER pay money to an officer on the road, but must pay at the nearest station or develop a system of mailing the tickets to the offenders home and to report any officer requesting money.

3. Make tickets and accidents hurt financially. To this end create a national database for traffic violators and at-fault accidents. Make the database available to all insurance companies who can start charging higher premiums for offenders. Offenders cannot get the lowest premiums unless they have a clean record for 3 years. Insurance companies need to provide "good driver" discounts.

4. Make it mandatory that all motorist obtain insurance and they must show proof of insurance in order to renew there auto registration. (won't work if corruption continues to be rampant)

Driving is a privledge and not a right. Unless Thailand is ready to implement all this they are never going to be serious about road safety.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I must be dreaming...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I have said it before, so many cars cannot see at night due to the dark tinted windscreens. An interesting statistic would be to check the level on window titnting on the veihcles involved in accidents at night.

How can you avoid something you cannot see?

Ban the windcreen tinting and you will see a reduction in night time accidents.

No law is effective if the people it's supposed to be applied to simply ignore it or the authorities don't enforce it equally.

Educate the population on the dangers of drinking, driving etc, educate them on "their" responsibilities to each other, and enforce "all" the laws equally, not stop a drink driver, "fine" him 200 baht and let him go on his merry way.

Yet again, the words Out on bail! As long as you pay. No problem. Everybody happy, except the victim!

And the guy will be out on bail for the foreseeable future, the case will be delayed and delayed until in a couple of years everybody has forgotten about it and then the guy will get a slap on the wrist, 1000 Baht fine and good luck.

Laws are not the problem but the lack of enforcement is. Seriously, the army has to take over or participate in the traffick policing in Thailand. The police is simply too corrupt and dishonest. That would save thousands of lives. If they have road blocks, soldiers should be present to ensure that the police is not taking bribes.

The bottom line is that the majority of the thai policemen should be sacked, as they are dishonest criminals.

Cyclists perhaps need to learn to signal their movements and follow universal traffic rules, while motorists should understand the meaning of the words "mercy and compassion"

it says a lot about the world we live in that anyone would need to be taught the meaning of those words sad.png

Edited by ColdSingha

This is the bottom line isn't it, what's the good of more laws on the statute books when that's all there are ?

Enforcement is the answer but it just doesn't happen. Forget new laws and concentrate on getting BIB to do their job.

My husband had a discussion with a Highway Police officer. They have three cars for the whole province. The local police have 2 trucks and a car. How are they ever going to enforce traffic law properly? I'm not excusing their lack of enforcement. Maybe pay for little lights on their motorscooters (you see this in Bangkok) and give them a per diem for using their own motorscooter for enforcement? The trick will be to get the offenders to pull over to be cited. That may be where the standard road checkpoints can be used. Three officers each at two checkpoints at the main intersections leading to the patrolled stretch. The officer cruising could just radio ahead to the checkpoints to stop a particular vehicle. Maybe even have his motorcycle equipped with a dash cam :) 7 officers could, in theory, with just one motorcycle and drop-off of two teams by the truck, catch a lot of moving violations. No payment on-the-spot. Have to go to the local station where the officers are from to pay the fine, within 10 days. I would like to see it attempted for a while.

Accountability and Responsibility..... People need to be made more readily aware that they are accountable and responsible for their actions while driving in a Bus, Lorry, Car, on a Motorbike, on a Bicycle and as a pedestrian.

Roads are inherently dangerous places to be - In general the majority of people face roads with either too much complacency or a complete lack of thought or care. I can see this in the way many people cross the roads, the way people walk down the middle of small soi's (especially at lunch time). I can see this the way larger vehicles approach smaller vehicles, i.e. lorrys Vs Cars, Cars Vs Motorcycles... I can also see this the way motorcycles weave around cars leaving centimetres. I can see this the way motorcyclists drive on the wrong side of the road in traffic forcing the on-coming vehicles to 'move out the the way' to avoid clipping them....

There is so much carelessness on the roads as the Opening Article suggests something really needs to be done. The Solution seems fairly clear to many of us. The Road Culture here in Thailand needs adjustment.

People using the roads in Thailand need to be 'forced' to take responsibility for their actions.

The tried and tested method is making people accountable through adequate policing.

Herein lies the issue: 'Adequate Policing' - In order to improve road safety significant improvements in other area's need to be made. Instead of reacting to the latest issue and announcing yet another crack down it would be good to see the BiB being more proactive on a daily basis. For this to happen with regards to road safety the BiB first require better training, the Drivers need better training. People need to first learn the right way to drive to understand what they are doing wrong. Road networks also require improvement, some roads and junctions are inherently dangerous and unclear causing confusion, uncertainty, erratic driving and ultimately contributing towards the cause of an accident.

Additional Point: socially the road morals in Thailand are appalling - somehow introducing some ideology of 'benevolence' behind the wheel would go a long way to improving road safety. To somehow encourage a less selfish mindset, everyone knows how to be polite, but for whatever reasons a 'switch' is flicked when people get in on / in a vehicle, I call it the '<deleted>' switch.

Only seen one comment that even mentions education. This, along with enforcing the existing driving laws as well as stopping the practice of "paying" to pass both the written and practice sections of the driving test, is absolutely necessary to instigate any real long-term changes in a driver's behavior.

Thai students (Chula graduates) have often told me how easy it is to bribe someone during the driver's license test. Is this true? I can't verify that it is but I've heard it from multiple sources. In many (western) countries, high school students take a semester-long "driver's education" course. They also take preparation classes. The actual driving section of the license test is quite serious and monitored by someone with at least a minimum level of competence. There are also restrictions on the circumstances when a young driver is allowed to operate a vehicle without an adult present, until reaching a certain age.

All of these things tend to produce better, more conscientious, more aware drivers. Are there still terrible drivers in the West? Teen recklessness and driving under the influence? Of course there are. Is it fair or accurate to compare procedures that occur in Thailand with, say, the UK or the US? Absolutely not. But if Thailand is serious about improving the quality of its drivers, then merely adding more laws or threatening to increase the penalties for those who break the laws probably won't really make a significant difference. There will still be under-qualified, under-prepared drivers in large amounts on the roads.

Long term approach? Get to future drivers early. Instruct them about the seriousness of driving around large potentially destructive pieces of metal and glass at high speeds. And get the corruption out of the licensing process, as well as the practice of bribing police at the scene.

Sounds like a lot to ask for in the lovely LOS. In the meantime, be careful out there...

My husband had a discussion with a Highway Police officer. They have three cars for the whole province. The local police have 2 trucks and a car. How are they ever going to enforce traffic law properly? I'm not excusing their lack of enforcement. Maybe pay for little lights on their motorscooters (you see this in Bangkok) and give them a per diem for using their own motorscooter for enforcement? The trick will be to get the offenders to pull over to be cited. That may be where the standard road checkpoints can be used. Three officers each at two checkpoints at the main intersections leading to the patrolled stretch. The officer cruising could just radio ahead to the checkpoints to stop a particular vehicle. Maybe even have his motorcycle equipped with a dash cam smile.png 7 officers could, in theory, with just one motorcycle and drop-off of two teams by the truck, catch a lot of moving violations. No payment on-the-spot. Have to go to the local station where the officers are from to pay the fine, within 10 days. I would like to see it attempted for a while.

There are lots of ways the improvements could be made. But as you mentioned, resources are scarce. When BiB have to purchase their own uniforms etc, when their salaries are so low its hardly a surprise that the bare minimum is done.

Thus: In reality the whole system needs an overhaul from the ground up. Taxes need to be paid, the government coffers need topping up, the cash needs to be available to provide the resources required.

No. You just need to ENFORCE the existing ones...and to genetically modify the Thai population to have the ability to be aware of their surroundings. Simple!

blink.png

Yep , teach cyclists on how to recognise a drunk driver coming up the cycle lane behind you in the dark. That will make the roads safer.

I was following a cyclist last night. No lights, in the muddle of the lane travelling slowly at about 10kmh... I was patient and passed when I had decent space. I pointed out to my Wife "Someones gonna end up knocking this guy off if he continues riding like this".... he was not riding very defensively or intelligently.

All road users require a decent education in road use.

Of course - this is all different from the catastrophic accidents caused by drunks and careless drivers.

I see Westerners and Thai's riding their cycles in Bangkok, they seem to position themselves well and ride defensively - But I also see many cyclists with no regard for their own safety (as well as many motorcyclists).

Education and accountability is required on all levels - It certainly isn't a 'them vs us' issue as some cyclists seem to believe - the roads are shared and must be shared responsibly.

My husband had a discussion with a Highway Police officer. They have three cars for the whole province. The local police have 2 trucks and a car. How are they ever going to enforce traffic law properly? I'm not excusing their lack of enforcement. Maybe pay for little lights on their motorscooters (you see this in Bangkok) and give them a per diem for using their own motorscooter for enforcement? The trick will be to get the offenders to pull over to be cited. That may be where the standard road checkpoints can be used. Three officers each at two checkpoints at the main intersections leading to the patrolled stretch. The officer cruising could just radio ahead to the checkpoints to stop a particular vehicle. Maybe even have his motorcycle equipped with a dash cam :) 7 officers could, in theory, with just one motorcycle and drop-off of two teams by the truck, catch a lot of moving violations. No payment on-the-spot. Have to go to the local station where the officers are from to pay the fine, within 10 days. I would like to see it attempted for a while.

Developed countries use increase in productivity - less personnel and more equipment and technology. Cheaper and more effective in the long run.

I must admit that I get a little nervous when riding my scooter around town here in Thailand. Always ready to brake or swerve. Never really relaxing and relying on others to do the right thing. It has been said already but education and enforcement are sadly lacking here. Just got back from Vietnam, where all adults are required to wear bike helmets and 99.9% of them do. All vehicles seem to be in roadworthy condition, and on the whole, the majority of Vietnamese obey the majority of traffic laws. I actually felt much safer on the back of a bike in the Saigon craziness than I do here in LOS.

Being an Aussie with adult kids, I recently went through the 100 hrs logbook for my youngest before he could sit for his licence, where he was on his Learners Permit and had to do a min of 100 hours driving with me or a qualified driving instructor. It was a pain, but at least he has a much better idea of what he is doing now. My oldest has had a couple of low range drink driving offences within a couple of years and he now has a compulsory alcohol detector fitted to his vehicle and is also restricted from driving between certain hours. He is not that impressed but it is the govt's way on cracking down on offenders. The Aussie govt may be a tad over the top at times, but if the Thai govt even implemented a bit of this sort of requirements, it would greatly reduce their problems.

They are idiots here on the roads and until the govt steps in and actually does something, nothing will change.

I agree with all the posters. Thailand needs VISIBLE and ongoing everyday enforcement of the existing laws and, if something needs to be stricter, they should start with the monetary fines. Minimum fine for any traffic/parking violation should be at least 3000 baht and go up from there as the offenses become more serious. These 500 baht fines are a total joke. Make it hurt a little and people will sit up and take notice.