Thai trafficking crackdown targets corrupt police, officials

webfact

Thai trafficking crackdown targets corrupt police, officials
THANYARAT DOKSONE, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's police chief announced the arrest of a powerful mayor on Friday and said 50 police officers are under investigation in a widening human trafficking scandal spanning four Asian countries.

At an urgently called meeting of senior police from around Thailand, police chief Gen. Somyot Poompanmoung delivered the strongest public admission yet of police involvement in trafficking syndicates that use Thailand as a regional transit hub. Human rights groups have long accused Thai authorities of collusion in the trafficking industry but the claims were routinely denied by police.

"If you are still neglecting, or involved with, or supporting or benefiting from human-trafficking networks — your heads will roll," Somyot told the meeting at Bangkok's national police headquarters.

Last Friday, police unearthed two dozen bodies from shallow graves in the mountains of southern Thailand, a grim discovery that has since exposed a network of jungle camps run by traffickers who allegedly held migrants captive while they extorted ransoms from their families.

The discoveries have embarrassed Thailand, which is already under pressure from the United States and the European Union to crack down on human trafficking both on land and in its fishing fleets.

Authorities say they have known for years that the area on the Thai-Malaysia border was used to smuggle Rohingya Muslims, a persecuted minority in neighboring Myanmar, as well as Bangladeshis and other migrants, to third countries including Malaysia, which is predominantly Muslim.

Many have reacted with horror but not surprise, including international human rights groups that have called for an independent outside investigation because of the alleged involvement of Thai authorities.

In an editorial Friday titled "Take Down the Traffickers," the Bangkok Post said the arrests confirm "long-held public suspicions of government officials' collusion with trafficking networks."

A swift crackdown has included the arrests of eight people — mostly local officials and police — for suspected involvement in the syndicates. Among them was Friday's arrest of the prominent local mayor of Padang Besar, the sub-district of southern Songkla province where 26 bodies were exhumed a week earlier.

Somyot called Mayor Banjong Pongphon a "key suspect" in the probe and said the politician, who has been in office over a decade, "wielded great influence" in the region. He faces charges of committing human trafficking, providing assistance for illegal aliens entering the country, detention and ransom.

The day before his arrest, Banjong joined a march in Padang Besar that drew hundreds of people and government officials in calls to oppose human trafficking.

Additionally, more than 50 police have been transferred out of their posts pending an investigation, including officers from anti-trafficking units and ones in charge of immigration, marine surveillance and border units in the area of the camps.

"To remove about 50 officers from their posts isn't something I want to do, but it's something I have already warned you about," Somyot said. "I have warned but you didn't listen. I have warned but you still did it."

Somyot acknowledged criticism that in the past police who have been investigated for trafficking and other crimes have gone unpunished but vowed "this time it will be different."

Last June, the U.S. downgraded Thailand and Malaysia to its lowest category — Tier 3 — in an annual assessment of how governments handle human trafficking. Thailand promised action to get off the blacklist, but its reputation suffered more following recent revelations by the AP that some Thai fishing vessels kept men from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos on board as forced labor or slaves.

Members of Myanmar's Rohingya Muslim minority have taken to the sea in greater numbers in recent years to escape violence and state-sanctioned discrimination. Mob attacks in the last three years have left hundreds dead and sparked one of the region's biggest exoduses since the Vietnam War, which has fueled a thriving industry for traffickers.
___

Associated Press writer Jocelyn Gecker contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-08

"To remove about 50 officers from their posts isn't something I want to do, but it's something I have already warned you about," Somyot said. "I have warned but you didn't listen. I have warned but you still did it."

"Inactive Posts" are definately the answer here...........show them who's boss!

Thailand , get ready for a special Tier 4 , made just for you !!!

The involvement of government officials has been known for
many years, and the higher ups either chose to do nothing

or were receiving a part of the money being made . So I
say throw the book at the lot of them. ..... And NO MORE
of the frigging inactive posts !! Hard jail time is a far more

suitable deterrent.......

Hard jail time is for people who have been convicted of a crime. Not for people under investigation. If they are found to have enough evidence against them they will be taken to court judged and sentenced.

Hart jail time is not for suspects they have to be proven guilty first.

What kind of a backward country do you come from. Sounds more like a dictatorship type country.

If guilty, the crimes should always include 'abuse of authority' type charges.

The crime is always more serious if the person is in a position of trust, in a position where they are looked up to by normal people. It is very harmful to society when positions of trust are betrayed, people lose whatever remaining respect they have for the system. It is a basic social survival-mechanism to bring the hammer down much harder if the criminal occupies a position of control and trust, it helps to restore confidence in the whole system.

The mayor is "powerful" now. Tomorrow he will be the trafficking czar of Thailand. After tomorrow they will find he has fishery connections...

I love it when plots thicken and things come together with a little help from wannabe screen writers.

A truly sickening and despicable crime, horrors like this are a left over from the dark ages and have no place in the modern world.

Hopefully if this is a genuine and lasting change in the attitude of the government, with the assistance of other countries and NGO's this evil trade can be eradicated.

And YES very, very long jail terms are required for those in office who are found to have been involved or who have benefited from this. It appears that (in some area's) this may have become "professionally acceptable" withing some agencies, an immediate and drastic message must be sent to those presently involved, they must be shown now what their fate will be...

"Members of Myanmar's Rohingya Muslim minority have taken to the sea in greater numbers in recent years to escape violence and state-sanctioned discrimination."

Has Myanmar faced any actions by the West on this matter?

Hard jail time is for people who have been convicted of a crime. Not for people under investigation. If they are found to have enough evidence against them they will be taken to court judged and sentenced.

What kind of a backward country do you come from. Sounds more like a dictatorship type country.

You, of all people?

Care to revisit some of your statements on the B2 in the Koh Tao - murder case?

Thailand's police chief announced the arrest of a powerful mayor on Friday and said 50 police officers are under investigation in a widening human trafficking scandal spanning four Asian countries.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Impose the death penalty and carry it out.

The discoveries have embarrassed Thailand, which is already under pressure from the United States and the European Union to crack down on human trafficking both on land and in its fishing fleets

Yeah being caught with your pants down and then finally having to admit that the real perps are police and military certainly is embarrassing ... no doubt it would have been better to keep this all quiet so the money kept on flowing. Thailand is frankly a disgrace to the human race and the international community needs to hold it accountable.

Additionally, more than 50 police have been transferred out of their posts pending an investigation, including officers from anti-trafficking units and ones in charge of immigration, marine surveillance and border units in the area of the camps.

So moved to inactive posts after being told by Somyot on numerous occasions to stop trafficking people ... so Somyot admits that the gov were fully aware and more so knew exactly who the perps where?

"Additionally, more than 50 police have been transferred out of their posts pending an investigation, including officers from anti-trafficking units and ones in charge of immigration, marine surveillance and border units in the area of the camps."

Did you miss this bit before you posted your thoughts? Or simply failed to comprehend it?

They have been transferred out of office and had to report to Police HQ whilst the investigation is carried out. They cannot then interfere or influence the investigation, witnesses and the officers conducting it. Suspension might be a better word, easier to understand,

Is this like community service work pro bono? or do they still get a salary hmm maybe a reduced one?

from the OP: "'If you are still neglecting, or involved with, or supporting or benefiting from human-trafficking networks — your heads will roll,' Somyot told the meeting at Bangkok's national police headquarters."

I enlarged the word 'still' because it's key to that statement. In other words, it could be interpreted to mean: all prior trespasses will be forgiven, but if the perps are continuing to do wrong, their heads will roll. Even 'heads will roll' is code for: may be sent to an inactive post. Officials abhor seriously disciplining their buddies. What should happen, to all the top and middle players who are found guilty of crimes: they should have their assets seized, auctioned, and proceeds go to victims. If any dead victims are ID's, proceeds from criminals' assets should go to next of kin.

Somyot acknowledged criticism that in the past police who have been investigated for trafficking and other crimes have gone unpunished but vowed "this time it will be different."

Different? How? two slaps on the wrist instead of one?

If guilty, the crimes should always include 'abuse of authority' type charges. The crime is always more serious if the person is in a position of trust, in a position where they are looked up to by normal people. It is very harmful to society when positions of trust are betrayed, people lose whatever remaining respect they have for the system. It is a basic social survival-mechanism to bring the hammer down much harder if the criminal occupies a position of control and trust, it helps to restore confidence in the whole system.

The font enlarged above shows a naive perspective, no offense. That premise holds most of the time in farang countries (though there are some glaring exceptions, like when former US prez Nixon was pardoned by his buddy, Ford).

However, in Asia, law-breaking VIPs or uniformed officials will be given 'kid glove treatment' near every time. It even seems: the more severe the crime, the more eager officialdom is to excuse.

Makes sense, except for the last sentence which seems to attack the poster and not the post.

"Additionally, more than 50 police have been transferred out of their posts pending an investigation, including officers from anti-trafficking units and ones in charge of immigration, marine surveillance and border units in the area of the camps."

Did you miss this bit before you posted your thoughts? Or simply failed to comprehend it?

They have been transferred out of office and had to report to Police HQ whilst the investigation is carried out. They cannot then interfere or influence the investigation, witnesses and the officers conducting it. Suspension might be a better word, easier to understand,

I fail to comprehend much of what goes on in Land of S!

Actually I come from.......wait for it........America. Is any expat here from a dictatorship

country ? Thanks for putting a smile on my face for the comment anyway. Guess there

could be a few North Koreans hanging out in Bangkok, but I doubt they post here.

Put your beer back down, no one including me is saying throw them in jail before

they are tried in a court of law. Perhaps English is not your primary language. Throw

the book means to prosecute someone using the full weight of the law. Then upon being

found guilty, appropriate jail sentences are handed out. As any long term expat here fully

realizes here, with no real punishment for officials who turn to crime, this cycle will continue.

However with this case, the international spotlight has been turned upon the cockroaches

in the corners, so something may actually happen. Pretty sure a few minor officials, perhaps

a medium size fish, and then things will be back to normal. Am sure this trafficking is a bit

like the jet ski scam. With a mountain of money being made, it will not go away.

Being 'transferred to an inactive post' is an American invention, as are so many other trends which Thais glom on to.

It started with the FBI a half century ago. When an agent did something wrong, he might get assigned to a remote boring place like Fargo, South Dakota.

'Transferred to an inactive post' is not really a punishment. It's only loss of face, and perhaps impacts on their promotion possibilities - though promotions are based more on payments to higher-ups (and social status/relation to bosses) than on silly things like skills, problem solving abilities, alacrity. For starters, those who get transferred retain full salaries, though they probably won't continue to get kickbacks they usually get on the beat. They don't suffer fines or jail time. That may come about later, but it's unlikely, because Thai officialdom abhors disciplining their buddies. A verbal reprimand for wrong-doing, probably, but no serious prison time or steep fine. If there is a fine, it's a paltry amount. That's Thai style.

Burmese 2??? They are doing hard time, are innocent too!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If guilty, the crimes should always include 'abuse of authority' type charges.

The crime is always more serious if the person is in a position of trust, in a position where they are looked up to by normal people. It is very harmful to society when positions of trust are betrayed, people lose whatever remaining respect they have for the system. It is a basic social survival-mechanism to bring the hammer down much harder if the criminal occupies a position of control and trust, it helps to restore confidence in the whole system.

Reposting it because it is an excellent post. Deserves itwai.gif

You, of all people?

Care to revisit some of your statements on the B2 in the Koh Tao - murder case?

You might revue them in the context they were written. In none of them did I say jail them. My posts were to the nitwits who know nothing and were claiming they were innocent.whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Actually I come from.......wait for it........America. Is any expat here from a dictatorship

country ? Thanks for putting a smile on my face for the comment anyway. Guess there

could be a few North Koreans hanging out in Bangkok, but I doubt they post here.

Put your beer back down, no one including me is saying throw them in jail before

they are tried in a court of law. Perhaps English is not your primary language. Throw

the book means to prosecute someone using the full weight of the law. Then upon being

found guilty, appropriate jail sentences are handed out. As any long term expat here fully

realizes here, with no real punishment for officials who turn to crime, this cycle will continue.

However with this case, the international spotlight has been turned upon the cockroaches

in the corners, so something may actually happen. Pretty sure a few minor officials, perhaps

a medium size fish, and then things will be back to normal. Am sure this trafficking is a bit

like the jet ski scam. With a mountain of money being made, it will not go away.

Reread your post you had them convicted and said throw the book at them that means penalize them with every thing you can. You no where indicated they could be innocent. Which I believe some are they just have to be removed from the scene of the investigation. Like in the United States they have in their police departments what is called Internal Affairs that do the investigation the ones under investigation are removed from the scene of action and assigned other cases or go on a suspension many times with pay. Before you try to weasel out of it I am quite sure many of them are guilty. Just a matter of proving it. That will take time.

Burmese 2??? They are doing hard time, are innocent too!!

And that has what to do with the cost of bread or any thing else on this thread? If you are talking about the ones charged with murder on the island they are still in court. No decision on that yet. If found guilty throw the book at them. If found innocent let them go.wai.gif