South-bound train driver hero

Chumphon:- A South-bound train arrived at its destination 30 minutes late on May 5. But its passengers were full of praise.

That was because they saw firsthand how train driver Prasit Molee stopped the locomotive to help out a frail and elderly woman on a train track in Chumphon province.

“It’s a life-saving brake,” Amorn Sirirak reported to the Facebook-based RKU News.

RKU News also posted photos showing how the train driver carried the old woman in his arms and walked across the railway bridge.

“Many Thai and foreign passengers clapped their hands,” Amorn said.

Speaking to Daily News, Prasit said he was driving the Bangkok – Surat Thani train that day and by the time it reached a bridge known as “Roi Sop” or “100 Corpses” in Chumphon, he noticed a shadow moving.

“I was afraid it could be a person walking down the bridge, so I sounded the train whistle,” the kind driver recounted.

As her old age has affected her hearing, the whistle did not scare the elderly woman a bit. Apparently exhausted, she even sat down on the track.

“When I saw she sat down, I immediately applied the brake,” Prasit said, “Then, I got off to help her”.

Passengers were surprised to have seen their train stop but the next minute they roared with applause to see the train driver carrying the old woman in his arms and walking across the bridge.

“Her house is on the other side of bridge. So, I helped her get back to her home. She has told me she is in her 80s already,” Prasit said.

Congratulations to Locomotive Driver Prasit on being able to stop and help , the puzzling aspect of this outcome , why isn't there a special walkway provided so that people can walk across or was the old lady in a restricted area. coffee1.gif

I think an active rail line is a restricted area, sooner or later a train will come and you either get out of the way or you could end up having a bad day.

The lucky thing here is that the train was going slow enough for the driver to apply his brakes and stop short of the old dear, if travelling at most line speeds it would have probably been a differant outcome unfortunatly as in most cases.

So good on the drivers keen eye and observations (defensive driving technique) Hopefully the old bag knows what danger she was in for next time she takes a walkabout

I think good news like this happens everyday. I think the screaming voice of bad news is so loud, sometimes the good news is drowned out.

I have seen much more kindness than unkindness here in the Kingdom, even from taxi drivers.

I can always use a little good news.

I hope the driver gets a commendation from the Royal family. To me, the Engineer showed compassion and what many Thais consider to be Thainess.

I think an active rail line is a restricted area, sooner or later a train will come and you either get out of the way or you could end up having a bad day.

The lucky thing here is that the train was going slow enough for the driver to apply his brakes and stop short of the old dear, if travelling at most line speeds it would have probably been a differant outcome unfortunatly as in most cases.

So good on the drivers keen eye and observations (defensive driving technique) Hopefully the old bag knows what danger she was in for next time she takes a walkabout

Old bag you are disgusting sir!!

One day you will be old, and maybe deaf.

Old bag you are disgusting sir!!

One day you will be old, and maybe deaf.

Not only disgusting ...this fellow one day will be judge by younger and even worst generation then him.

We can find some ...this days but much younger generation is more hard on oldies (this days ) hence let him and wish him live very very long time....giggle.gif

He will find his match for sure.

coffee1.gif

I can't imagine he had any other choices, other than running her down. But I bet their are drivers out there that might have done just that.

He deserves credit for being decent at least.

"He deserves credit for being decent at least."

And on Thai Visa we can always expect the least.