Which pick up do you recommend?

Here is a new twist. When I came here, I bought a used Toyota to haul building materials around. While buying my new Ford Ranger a few years back, the salesman said to me "well, you won't have any problems with police". I didn't think much about this comment until I started getting waved through at all the police check points. never stopped again. Must be some behind the scenes reason for this.

I drive a Triton and have never been stopped either, so I don't think there's some kind of exception made for Fords.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will get feeeeeeeeeeeerked if I post my opinion...........But I will.................You want long time reliability....Toyota.

You change your ride every 1-2 years...Anything................gigglem.gif

Agree with trans, we had our 4 door vigo D4D for over 7 years, ran reliably for over 240k km when we sold it,,

no mechanical or electrical problems throughout,,,,,, with the minor exception of when our adorable golden retriever chewed through every cable within view beneath the car

I do not think that the present genre of trucks are/will be as reliable as the past ones, regardless of the manufacturer, especially as far as electrical equipment is concerned. There is much more electrical "stuff" in a truck today that will get jolted and bounced around, especially on Thailand heavily potholed roads. That is a lot of beating for the sophisticated electronics to take and problems will arise as a result. Our 1 year old Triton just had the video screen go out -- it started flashing "interruption" continually. Took it to the dealer who took out the screen assembly and will send it to BKK for repair. We now have a hole in the dash for a week or 2. Not a big deal, as the truck drives without any problems (no backup camera now), but I think you need to expect problems like this regardless of the manufacturer. I doubt that Toyota will be any better on the frequency of these kinds of problems than the other truck manufacturers.

Your 1 year old Triton had the screen go out?

My 3 year old Toyota's has'nt.

OP if you want your video screen to work longer then 1 year then dont buy a Triton, buy the Toyota.

just go and get a Chevrolet .... powerful yet economical, stylish & robust ....thumbsup.gif

Then try to sell it 3-4 years, depreciated like a brick of a cliff!!!!!!!!

Quote "try to sell it". Who in the right mind would buy a 4 year old Chevy in Thailand?

The only way to get rid of a 4 year old Chevy in Thailand is to trade it in for a new one.

Edited by misterphil

I had a Toyota Vigo 4x4, 4 door, top model for 8 years & about 170,000 km. It was very reliable and only had a few minor issues. Looked new when I sold it to family. With 4x4, automatic, 3.0 liter engine and 4 door, fuel economy was just average. Resale value was very good. I think Toyota has the most service centers of any brand, and we found the service to be good, although it will vary with dealer.

I replaced it last summer with a new Ford Wildtrak 3.2 liter/5 cylinder/6 speed auto/4x4/4 door top model. Not as many dealers, but our new dealer is good. More power than the Vigo,AND fuel mileage is about 10% better! (But not the economy you need driving 150 km/day.) Ride is a little rougher than the Vigo, but handling is much better. Roomier inside. Great front seats.

Why did I buy it? Great performance, 6 airbags and a 5 star crash test rating! Oh, and 80 cm fording depth for you 2011 flood veterans.

Keep in mind that if you buy a Mazda BT-50, you are getting a Mazda body on a Ford chassis with Ford running gear. Also note that other than the very top models, Mazda and Ford come with a 2.2 liter diesel that has a surprising amount of power, and should yield superior fuel economy due to small displacement, especially if you go with 2 wheel drive and manual shift 6 speed.

Good luck!

I will get feeeeeeeeeeeerked if I post my opinion...........But I will.................You want long time reliability....Toyota.

Agree with trans, we had our 4 door vigo D4D for over 7 years, ran reliably for over 240k km when we sold it,,

no mechanical or electrical problems throughout,,,,,, with the minor exception of when our adorable golden retriever chewed through every cable within view beneath the car

I do not think that the present genre of trucks are/will be as reliable as the past ones, regardless of the manufacturer, especially as far as electrical equipment is concerned. There is much more electrical "stuff" in a truck today that will get jolted and bounced around, especially on Thailand heavily potholed roads. That is a lot of beating for the sophisticated electronics to take and problems will arise as a result. Our 1 year old Triton just had the video screen go out -- it started flashing "interruption" continually. Took it to the dealer who took out the screen assembly and will send it to BKK for repair. We now have a hole in the dash for a week or 2. Not a big deal, as the truck drives without any problems (no backup camera now), but I think you need to expect problems like this regardless of the manufacturer. I doubt that Toyota will be any better on the frequency of these kinds of problems than the other truck manufacturers.

OP if you want your video screen to work longer then 1 year then dont buy a Triton, buy the Toyota.

Because one Triton has a problem with the video screen that's a reason not to buy one?

A comparison of 2 work vehicles I currently drive. Both have 128,000 kms on the clock, Both have multiple drivers who don't look after them as good as they would if they owned them, Both are regularly serviced by the lease company. Both 3 years old.

Isuzu Dmax basic manual turbo diesel. Good runner but had a few niggly problems like centre consol regularly coming loose, manual windows require lubricating regularly, cd/radio replaced twice after fails, surface rust appearing around door frames.

Toyota 2.7 petrol manual hilux. Very little in the way of problems. Surface rust on rear chrome bumper.

Overall the hilux responds better with the petrol engine. The main difference is how the vehicles look and feel. The hilux still rides and feels like a new car. The Isuzu is showing its age and feels tired to drive.

The previous work fleet were basic manual turbo diesel ford rangers. They were good workhorses but in a class way below the Hilux and Dmax.

Ford sells the most pick-ups in the entire world by far. Must be a reason for it.

Because America is a very big country with lots of Americans who like Fords.

Thailand is a small country with few Americans and they dont build them to the same standard as they do in the US.

just go and get a Chevrolet .... powerful yet economical, stylish & robust ....thumbsup.gif

Quote "try to sell it". Who in the right mind would buy a 4 year old Chevy in Thailand?

The only way to get rid of a 4 year old Chevy in Thailand is to trade it in for a new one.

There are no "trade-ins" as such. Usually the new car dealership arranges for one of the tent dealers to buy your car, so it's up to them whether they will take it off your hands and for how much.

First off the Isuzu and the Chevy are the same truck with different chrome. The Isuzu will run forever with regular maintenance. Consider a used at a better price. I have a Highlander Cab4, 2005 , 140km, for sale 300k baht. PM if interested, Ubon area.

Absolutely incorrect. While they do share parts, the engine and drive trains are completely different.

Because one Triton has a problem with the video screen that's a reason not to buy one?

It was meant as a joke.

Triton is a poor mans hilux anyway.

Same as a Isuzu MUX is a poor mans Fortuner.

Yes because a failed screen is a serious consideration when spending thousands of dollars on a car.

Replying to a couple of posts.

1. Chevy and Izusu are no longer the same mechanically.

2. Electronics are very, very reliable these days so I wouldn't worry about that very much.

3. I believe all vehicles built in Thailand meet international standards for build quality - which are quite good.

4. The Ford F-150 pick-up truck is the best selling vehicle of any type in America. The reason is good reliability, performance and resale value. Here in Thailand, I think the reliability and performance are fine. Resale value is improving but won't match Toyota and Izusu. (I don't care about resale value as I keep the truck for quite a while, and have Thai family members standing in line to buy it when I'm ready for a new truck.)

5. Love my Ranger, but would concede that you can't go wrong with a Toyota!

6. Since OP drives 150 km/day, I recommend a Toyota, 2 wheel drive, manual shift, small diesel engine. At 150 km/day, reliability should be the major concern. Good luck.

I've had my Toyota Vigo 4WD 3.0 litre for nearly 11 years. Very powerful and comfortable but like the Ford Ranger and pretty much the same with all the others it's potentially lethal on wet or shiny surfaces due lack of weight on the back. Things are better when using 4WD. This type vehicle scores highly in accident survival but driving at 120 KPH on Thailand's roads is not what it was designed for. Looking at Police accident compounds many damaged vehicles are pickups.

Bear in mind also that with Thai locations becoming increasingly congested parking can be a serious problem.

In difficult conditions you can't beat a front wheel or all wheel drive vehicle - think again.

Ford sells the most pick-ups in the entire world by far. Must be a reason for it.

Not in Thailand, must be a reason for that.

LOL the reason is all Thai farmers and taxi drivers are experts. Years ago you could ask either and they would tell you Isuzu, Isuzu, Isuzu. In 2001 I asked about the Toyota they said not good Isuzu is better. They all had opinions on the Toyota yet not one ever owned one, many never owned anything but a iron buffalo but they would all repeat like parrots their expert opinions. I'm happy to report that the neighbor farmer now thinks Toyota is OK but Isuzu is still better (he drives an E-tan).

Funny thing is my taxi driver of 13 years and brother in law have Isuzu both have a strong power train but the interior, power window and fittings didn't last.

Edited by Sakeopete

I own a Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback great car but Mitsubishi right across all their range of vehicles have never been built thinking about fuel economy, reliability is very good. You should check out the new nissan navarra double cab. A lovely looking pick up and Nissan have been building pick ups for decades and this one is very nice indeed. You will have to haggle down the price on a nearly new Navarra but if u test drive one you should be very happy. Sorry I cannot remember what the MPG is. Good Luck. Nissan have been building pick ups longer than any other competitor and have really got their engines fine tuned and will last a very long time. You should get a lot of free accessories included and ask for 1 yr free insurance and 1st yr free service this is definately possible if on Finance.

Have you considered a car with a roof rack? You'll get better fuel economy in most cases, plus more comfort and safety features.

Thanks, but the missus already has a car and I really need (want) a pickup - it simply makes more sense for us.

Thanks for the tip though.

Edited by djayz

Thank you for the tip. Much appreciate it. I don't need/want a video in my truck. What's it good for?

djyaz said: >>

I don't need/want a video in my truck. What's it good for? <<

Video is indispensable in combination with rear camera, except if you only drive forward.

OP shall miss this very useful accessory in his proposed price range.

There are no "trade-ins" as such. Usually the new car dealership arranges for one of the tent dealers to buy your car, so it's up to them whether they will take it off your hands and for how much.

Wrong traded in my old Ford Ranger for a new Toyota Vigo for work on the farm, no other outside dealer involved.

I own a Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback great car but Mitsubishi right across all their range of vehicles have never been built thinking about fuel economy, reliability is very good. You should check out the new nissan navarra double cab. A lovely looking pick up and Nissan have been building pick ups for decades and this one is very nice indeed. You will have to haggle down the price on a nearly new Navarra but if u test drive one you should be very happy. Sorry I cannot remember what the MPG is. Good Luck. Nissan have been building pick ups longer than any other competitor and have really got their engines fine tuned and will last a very long time. You should get a lot of free accessories included and ask for 1 yr free insurance and 1st yr free service this is definately possible if on Finance.

Uh NO! both Ford and Chevy have been around MANY more years longer than any other car manufacture in Thailand. Accessories, insurance both up to INDIVIDUAL dealers. Service is standard with ALL manufacturers. You need to go back to car purchasing school.

If you decide on the Toyota be aware a totallly new looking model is on the way and that will devalue the existing ( very long ) line

Do not get a single cab , there is absolutely no where to put anything out of the rain - at least get an extra cab with a small back seat

Mine is a Chev and Ive had absolutely no problems in 100km of driving - it still drives like new

But do ask around about 'after sales service' and the quality of the dealer service centres - Phuket Chev ( now closed ) was total sh!t !

If you decide on the Toyota be aware a totallly new looking model is on the way and that will devalue the existing ( very long ) line

Do not get a single cab , there is absolutely no where to put anything out of the rain - at least get an extra cab with a small back seat

Mine is a Chev and Ive had absolutely no problems in 100km of driving - it still drives like new

But do ask around about 'after sales service' and the quality of the dealer service centres - Phuket Chev ( now closed ) was total sh!t !

Phuket chevy has not closed they moved into a temp building while a new larger facility is being built

Video is indispensable in combination with rear camera, except if you only drive forward.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I much appreciate all the imput.

Yes, I generally only drive forwards, unless of course, I'm reversing into a parking spot.

Have successfully managed this without videos and rear view cameras for the past 24 years so I'm still not sure what the big deal about videos and cameras in vehicles is all about.

Edited by djayz

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I much appreciate all the imput.

Yes, I generally only drive forwards, unless of course, I'm reversing into a parking spot.

Have successfully managed this without videos and rear view cameras for the past 24 years so I'm still not sure what the big deal about videos and cameras in vehicles is all about.

If you drove a pickup you'd understand the need for a reverse camera. I also managed to drive sedans for more than 40 years without a camera or reverse sensors. However, some of those vehicles didn't have seat belts, certainly didn't have airbags, ABS, electric windows, disc brakes, variable speed wipers, cruise control either. Now all that stuff is pretty much standard equipment, get my point?

@OP: There are no lemons - all of them are good, and the real differentiators are:

Price for spec (i.e. some will meet your req's at lower price points than others)

Dealer service - it doesn't matter how good the manufacturing is if you can't get good aftersales service in your area, or the areas you drive to.

Outside of that, it's just personal preferences really - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not even resale value is much of a factor anymore.

Perhaps you should have just made a poll asking: What pickup did you buy? You would have got the same response - it's human nature to defend one's own buying decisions smile.png

All that said, you should definitely wait until the new Hilux Revo launches on the 22nd (at your local Toyota dealer), and you should definitely try them all too...

The Hilux Revo, Mitsubishi Triton and Nissan Navara NP300 are the newest models available on sale. The Isuzu Dmax and Colarado are now both 3 years old, then Ranger and BT-50 a couple of years old. Ranger will be getting a minor change shortly to make it more competitive against the newer 3. Expect a minor change for the Isuzu and Chevy later this year too, but don't necessarily expect them to do any leap-frogging..

Edited by IMHO