Big drug offensive planned

Lite Beer

Big drug offensive planned
THE SUNDAY NATION

30259721-01_big.jpg?1431211427673

BANGKOK: -- THE Office of the Narcotics Control Board will arrest up to 10 drug-network members a week and seize their assets as part of a nationwide offensive against drug networks, the ONCB secretary-general Permpong Chaovalit has said.

He was speaking at a press conference yesterday following the reported big success of the so-called "Expansion of Drug Trade Networks: First Round".

Joint operations by the ONCB and agencies ran from Wednesday till yesterday and targeted eight drug-trafficking networks covering 42 people of interest in 17 provinces.

The targeted networks included those run by Soros Phongkahjornsak and Sakda Lertrassamithat, who are jailed in Khao Bin Prison in Ratchaburi, and Somchai Labcharoen, who is in Ayutthaya Central Prison.

The operation resulted in the arrest of nine suspects, drug charges being filed against the three aforementioned inmates and the seizure of about Bt100 million in assets including Bt13.79 million in cash, ONCB executive Sitthisak Kalayanapradit said.

The assets would be auctioned after final court rulings, with the money funnelled to the Narcotics Control Fund, he added.

Sitthisak said the operation marked the beginning of a host of anti-drug operations that would stop dealers from spending ill-gotten gains.

In related news, ONCB deputy chief Vittawan Sunthornkajit said recent raids at nine locations in Loei's Tha Li and Muang districts resulted in five arrests.

Vittawan said the raids stemmed from an operation last September that resulted in the arrest of two suspects and the seizure of 124.4 kilograms of marijuana and some 40,000 'yaba' pills in Loei's Phu Luang district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Big-drug-offensive-planned-30259721.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-10

Let's just remind ourselves that the current regime, since coming to power, has taken the axe to exactly one big fish criminal. You could argue that one big fish is a start, but I would counter that the sole reason this big fish was caught was due to the breakdown of a nieces relationship and subsequent divorce. An accident if you would. So, now they are going to catch more big fish in the drug world? Oh, really? More small fry on the way to jail while the godfathers will carry on as usual. Urgent changes in the drug laws are the only way out of this mess. Something along the Portuguese lines would be acceptable.

Here is the ideal use for Article 44. Instead of telling eveyone up front days before hand what they are going to do, just do it! Pull together a massive number of police and army but have a core of special narc officers who know the plan but not tell the plan until the last minute. 'Wam bam thank you mam' pull off all the raids. Big fish and small fish hang em on the spot in the biggest tree with a sign around their neck saying they were into drugs. Confiscate all their assets and the assets of their wives and children.....and staff.

No more mister nice guy, it's time to get tough.

Let's just remind ourselves that the current regime, since coming to power, has taken the axe to exactly one big fish criminal. You could argue that one big fish is a start, but I would counter that the sole reason this big fish was caught was due to the breakdown of a nieces relationship and subsequent divorce. An accident if you would. So, now they are going to catch more big fish in the drug world? Oh, really? More small fry on the way to jail while the godfathers will carry on as usual. Urgent changes in the drug laws are the only way out of this mess. Something along the Portuguese lines would be acceptable.

Ah yes, but here's the sleeper.

"...and the seizure of about Bt100 million in assets including Bt13.79 million in cash, ONCB executive Sitthisak Kalayanapradit said."

"The assets would be auctioned after final court rulings, with the money funneled to the Narcotics Control Fund, he added."

You are so right about the one big fish and it's not a scalp the junta can claim. If the issue we can't talk about hadn't happened he might well still be in post and raking it in as he had been doing untroubled for years.

Here is the ideal use for Article 44. Instead of telling eveyone up front days before hand what they are going to do, just do it! Pull together a massive number of police and army but have a core of special narc officers who know the plan but not tell the plan until the last minute. 'Wam bam thank you mam' pull off all the raids. Big fish and small fish hang em on the spot in the biggest tree with a sign around their neck saying they were into drugs. Confiscate all their assets and the assets of their wives and children.....and staff.

Sounds similar to Taksins extrajudicial killing spree to me which resulted in many innocents being killed.

>He was speaking at a press conference yesterday following the reported big success of the so-called "Expansion of Drug Trade Networks: First Round".<

Well that's great then, sounds just like a stimulation package for SMEs in that area of business, was about time anyway!

Who writes that schlassach?

"...and the seizure of about Bt100 million in assets including Bt13.79 million in cash, ONCB executive Sitthisak Kalayanapradit said."

"The assets would be auctioned after final court rulings, with the money funneled to the Narcotics Control Fund, he added."

A self-funding police operation? What do you suggest should be done with seized assets?

Did they really have to mave that announcement? They shiuld have folloew the Nike way - Just Do It! After all they probably already know who they are. It is just a matter finding those who cannot hit back.

Nothings gonna happen! Next!

Best case scenario: present some mid-level dealer...blow the crime out of proportion....photo-op...fingerpointing...forget about it!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sounds similar to Taksins extrajudicial killing spree to me which resulted in many innocents being killed.

That is exactly what went through my mind the instant I saw a quota placed on arrests. If they can't FIND the criminals they'll STAGE a few of their enemies so they can get up to their number of 10 for the week.

A self-funding police operation? What do you suggest should be done with seized assets?

I'd use them to fund drug and alcohol rehabilitation centres and post rehabilitation community care workers.

Total stupidity. The so-called War on Drugs is unwinnable. We need another plan to stop people wrecking their lives with addictive substances. How about listening to some addiction experts who actually work with addicts, instead of continuing this failed policy. The War on Drugs enables corruption as police can enlist addicts to sell drugs on their behalf....it happens in my wife's town and must happen elsewhere.

Thailand has more pressing problems than this pointless war on drugs, why not focus on them....for example how about enforcing some traffic laws, that will reduce the death toll on the road instead of pushing up the number of people pointlessly incarcerated.

I'd use them to fund drug and alcohol rehabilitation centres and post rehabilitation community care workers.

Works for me. If the BIB get serious, there might be enough for both.

I hope their valuation of assets does not include the products they sell. I'm sure there are many that are wondering if they'll be destroyed or merely re-deployed. No need to say much more on that topic.

I agree that they should start with those running things from prison, because if they do get any top of the tree suppliers they'll carry on from inside jail even if they're 'hands off'. After that will be the issue of if they do clear them out, who will be replacing them on the turf wars? They need a plan for that too.

And yeah why broadcast what they're going to do rather than what they've already accomplished?

I seem to recall a few years ago in their last major assault on drugs, the quality on the street went right down and the price went up too. Both signs that they'd hit a major artery, but it didn't stop it. It's not enough to be partially successful, or it'll come back with a vengeance.

Edited by Shiver

If the Pink Bentley Inspector Clouseau is still available could he please tell the Mr Big's of the drug world exactly which crim is to be arrested, how many police from which precise unit will be involved and what disguises they will be wearing. In addition of course to the exact time & place of the intended arrest. I agree with BSJ 100%. Don't talk about it, just arrest this week's first 10 big fish and tell us after. Then next week's 10. Then the week after's 10. Ad Nauseum

(Translation: Till they all get sick of getting caught & give up illicit pharmaceuticals as a career.)

Edited by The Deerhunter

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow guess you don't like drugs then! Nether do I but I am not sure I would want to see people dragged out of there homes in the middle of the night and summarily executed for it.

I know that many would think this stupid but if drugs where decriminalised and it was no longer illegal to have or sell them the price would drop to almost nothing and it could be taxed. I don't take drugs and I would not jump in front of a train ether so I would not be placing an order. What I am saying is surly it's up to each and everyone of us to decide. Making it illegal will not stop someone who wants it from getting it, and for the young it might even make it an even bigger deal/buzz.

"A self-funding police operation? What do you suggest should be done with seized assets?" by Halloween.

The problem with self-funding narcotics police is that they usually like to see the drugs sold first so they can get just cash. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Edited by whaleboneman