Listen Thai Radio Via Opensuse 10.1

linuxfan

hi,

I have been using opensuse 10.1 and it works great. The only tiny unsatisfaction is that i can't listen to thai radio station anymore for example www.virginradiothailand.com. i am using firefox web browser. Furthermore, radion station in australia such as Todayfm also doesn't support firefox too.

I guess this is a trade-off between secure, flexible, reliable with a small entertainment.

cheer.

The issue is really with the radio stations that netcast using a proprietary format (Windows Media Player) that is not available in Linux. Perhaps if they were told that their choice of format excludes potential listeners they might consider changing.

I enjoy a number of radio stations with Linux and Realplayer.

hi,

I have been using opensuse 10.1 and it works great. The only tiny unsatisfaction is that i can't listen to thai radio station anymore for example www.virginradiothailand.com. i am using firefox web browser. Furthermore, radion station in australia such as Todayfm also doesn't support firefox too.

I guess this is a trade-off between secure, flexible, reliable with a small entertainment.

cheer.

Yes, sometimes playing embedded audio is not as easy as it should be. However, if you dig around in the HTML you can sometimes find the URL of the stream. e.g. if you've got mplayer (+ whatever codecs you need) installed on your system you can try this:

mplayer -playlist http://www.bcomnetwork.com/V955_20.asx

Sometimes the problem is so simple that you almost not belief it. It is possible that websites test what browser and OS you use, and if that is anything else then Microsoft they just say no thank you.

This is a easy fix, install in youe browser the User Agent Switcher extension http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

With this extension/program you can website belief you using Windows XP and IE 6.0..... Most of the time this fix the problem of things not working

Sometimes the problem is so simple that you almost not belief it. It is possible that websites test what browser and OS you use, and if that is anything else then Microsoft they just say no thank you.

This is a easy fix, install in youe browser the User Agent Switcher extension http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

With this extension/program you can website belief you using Windows XP and IE 6.0..... Most of the time this fix the problem of things not working

Hi all,

Thank you for all your advise and recommendation. i will give them a try.

cheer,

linuxfan

• 2 months later...
hi,

cheer.

If you want to listen to Thai Radio you should try this:

MOG Software - Thai Radio

bye,

Kikiat

----------------------------------------------------------------

Virtual Thai Keyboard

Thai Radio & Thai TV

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Now, i find the way to get Opensuse 10.1 listen to www.virginradiothailand.com and play window media video format in firefox. Installing mplayer plug-in for firefox. The following is how to:

Instructions

[edit]

Step 1: Add Packman Package Repository

If you haven't already, you will need to add Packman's package repository to your installation sources in YaST.

* Open YaST

* Select "Software," and then "Installation Source"

* If you do not see a URL that includes packman, select "Add", then "HTTP"

* Enter "packman.unixheads.com" as the Server Name, and "suse/10.1" as the directory, then click OK.

Step 2: Install MPlayer and mplayerplug-in packages

* Still in YaST

* Select "Software," and then "Software Management"

* In the Filter drop-down box in the upper left corner, select "Installation Source"

* Choose the packman source

* Scroll down until you see the "mplayerplug-in," and select this package.

* Check to see if the "MPlayer" package is installed or not. Most likely, it is not, unless you have added another source that includes this package.

o If the box next to the package is unchecked, select it.

* Now click the Accept button to install the package(s).

That's it. You should now be able to play most .wmv files you come across on the internet.

Please visit:http://en.opensuse.org/Playing_wmv_in_Firefox_HOWTO

hi,

cheer.

If you want to listen to Thai Radio you should try this:

MOG Software - Thai Radio

bye,

Kikiat

----------------------------------------------------------------

Virtual Thai Keyboard

Thai Radio & Thai TV