Many parents report increased costs for children's education

webfact

Many parents report increased costs for children's education
The Nation

30259782-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- SOME 71 per cent of parents say they are shouldering increased cost for children's education this year, according to the latest survey by Bangkok Poll.

The survey covered 1,183 parents in the capital and adjacent provinces. The respondents' children were in kindergarten, primary school or secondary schools.

According to the findings, the parents pay Bt4,000 on average for the purchase of their children's learning-related materials.

The survey found that 47 per cent of parents had financial problems at the start of the semester because family living costs and children's educational expenses had risen.

When unable to make ends meet, 16 per cent borrowed money from relatives, siblings and friends, while 15 per cent said they had children re-use uniforms and learning materials from the previous academic year.

Some 13 per cent of respondents said they reduced the number of things they had to buy for their children's education.

Asked about the government's policy to provide 15 years of free education, 32 per cent of parents said this policy had eased their financial burden quite significantly, while 30 per cent said it hardly helped and 35 per cent described it as quite useful.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Many-parents-report-increased-costs-for-childrens--30259782.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-11

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And wasn't it just 2 weeks ago that there was a thread in here about the Ministry going out to make sure the costs of school supplies were reasonable? I guess that never panned out.

As well there was a story about how the state-run pawn shops were directed to keep the interest rates down so parents could afford to pawn their possessions to pay for their kids' education.

What I find most despicable about this is that Thailand is reported to spend more than most countries on education yet the money never seems to find its way to where it needs to go. Where the hell is it? THAT'S the kind of reform this "fresh" government should be pursuing!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And wasn't it just 2 weeks ago that there was a thread in here about the Ministry going out to make sure the costs of school supplies were reasonable? I guess that never panned out.

As well there was a story about how the state-run pawn shops were directed to keep the interest rates down so parents could afford to pawn their possessions to pay for their kids' education.

What I find most despicable about this is that Thailand is reported to spend more than most countries on education yet the money never seems to find its way to where it needs to go. Where the hell is it? THAT'S the kind of reform this "fresh" government should be pursuing!

Big money spent on big purchases to get big kickbacks. What big purchases were made in the past few years?

We are going through the hilarious circus called the 'Thai education system'. Tuition fees for our kids are alright but just a fraction of the real costs. All the different uniforms, shoes, bags, books, mandatory English class, and extra curricular cash demands are raising it by another 200% at least. We just paid 1,000 baht per child to get their names embroidered on the shirts. We can afford it, but I can imagine a lot of parents are struggling with this.

We are going through the hilarious circus called the 'Thai education system'. Tuition fees for our kids are alright but just a fraction of the real costs. All the different uniforms, shoes, bags, books, mandatory English class, and extra curricular cash demands are raising it by another 200% at least. We just paid 1,000 baht per child to get their names embroidered on the shirts. We can afford it, but I can imagine a lot of parents are struggling with this.

Why not just stamp with permanent ink?

We are going through the hilarious circus called the 'Thai education system'. Tuition fees for our kids are alright but just a fraction of the real costs.

All the different uniforms, shoes, bags, books, mandatory English class, and extra curricular cash demands are raising it by another 200% at least.

We just paid 1,000 baht per child to get their names embroidered on the shirts. We can afford it, but I can imagine a lot of parents are struggling with this.

Why no just have the school logo? Why should each shirt be completely unique and individualized? I did just fine as did my class mates with out my name sewn into my uniform.

The current policy ensures shirts etc can not be passed down to siblings or reused by others thus securing yet another income stream.

We are going through the hilarious circus called the 'Thai education system'. Tuition fees for our kids are alright but just a fraction of the real costs.
All the different uniforms, shoes, bags, books, mandatory English class, and extra curricular cash demands are raising it by another 200% at least.
We just paid 1,000 baht per child to get their names embroidered on the shirts. We can afford it, but I can imagine a lot of parents are struggling with this.

I used to do the interviews for students wishing to attend the school at which I was teaching, so I saw kids from just about every school you could think of. ALL the children had embroidered shirts. Stamping them with permanent ink would be "different" and the "face factor" requires all students be the same.

Credit for those parents who have nothing to pawn anymore would be fine.

Maybe credit for Farangs that would help and could actually afford it.

Silly comments about "affording to bring children to the world" are not helpful at all.

Probably posted by one of those who complain about shortage in qualified labour.

Edited by micmichd

I used to do the interviews for students wishing to attend the school at which I was teaching, so I saw kids from just about every school you could think of. ALL the children had embroidered shirts. Stamping them with permanent ink would be "different" and the "face factor" requires all students be the same.

"The same" in the English Language actually means no putting of the child's name on the shirt. Doing so makes the shirts different.

For anti-theft, permanent ink the names on the inside of collars.

"The same" in the English Language actually means no putting of the child's name on the shirt. Doing so makes the shirts different.

For anti-theft, permanent ink the names on the inside of collars.

NOT an "English speaking" country. "The same" here means they all embroider the school name AND the student's name. I agree that NOTHING should be put on the shirts, but this isn't my country. I am reminded of that more and more each day.

My kid is 2.5 years old, in a pre-kindergarten class on Pattaya Nua. She just joined in this April.

Monthly fee is 8K, new student set is 3K, including uniforms with different color for each day.

In May they changed the school name, so another 2.3K is paid for new uniforms.

And special class is 2K per month, otherwise, you have to pick up the kid home very early.....

I insist still using the "old" uniforms for a while, because in fact they are so new and I hate to waste! ...and I refuse to embroidary the names !!!

I will not be surprised if they have new ideas to charge more money. Just hold on till kid is 3 and can join the public Chinese school in Soi Siam Country Club

PS: We can well afford any school cost. But, it is so sad to see how they waste on the stupid uniforms and nonsenses .......They don't care about resources and environment.

Edited by susanschwaiger

What I find most despicable about this is that Thailand is reported to spend more than most countries on education yet the money never seems to find its way to where it needs to go. Where the hell is it?

Check the school parking lot.

Most cost would be on uniforms and shoes. Every kid grows bigger after a year.

And then they seem to change the color or design for no reason except to make parents buy another set?

It' s more than that...for example: the largest school in PrakhonChai raises the money they ask "for help" to 12.000.- / year/ student. The school has over 6000 students...Easy to calculate what they generate. Some parents reject this demand. The money is used to give free loans to the teachers and director so that they all can afford the most expensive tablets, i-phones and cars...And the poor farmers are pushed to pay...

maybe they should learn in school

the costs of a child

and maybe even more, how to prevent having children in the first place ...

Thailand has a birth rate of 1.6, the lowest in the region, similar to China with their long term 1 child policy.

The low birth rate is a major economical threat for Thailand as there won't be enough working people to support the older part of the population and there won't be enough labor to make the inustry competitive in the region.

Birth control is the wrong measure for Thailand!

My kid is 2.5 years old, in a pre-kindergarten class on Pattaya Nua. She just joined in this April.

Monthly fee is 8K, new student set is 3K, including uniforms with different color for each day.

In May they changed the school name, so another 2.3K is paid for new uniforms.

And special class is 2K per month, otherwise, you have to pick up the kid home very early.....

I insist still using the "old" uniforms for a while, because in fact they are so new and I hate to waste! ...and I refuse to embroidary the names !!!

I will not be surprised if they have new ideas to charge more money. Just hold on till kid is 3 and can join the public Chinese school in Soi Siam Country Club

PS: We can well afford any school cost. But, it is so sad to see how they waste on the stupid uniforms and nonsenses .......They don't care about resources and environment.

Just wait and see until you discover that any school (including bi-lingual and English program schools) that is in the Thai education system is wasting about 2/3 of the time on completely useless compulsary curriculum. Chanting rules of the latest flavour of those in charge, dreamed up history, parading like army cadets, al kind of semi religious nonsense at an abstraction level that is way over their heads, etc....

For the things that are important they use rote learning that didn't work 100 years ago and still doesn't.

maybe they should learn in school

the costs of a child

and maybe even more, how to prevent having children in the first place ...

Thailand has a birth rate of 1.6, the lowest in the region, similar to China with their long term 1 child policy.

The low birth rate is a major economical threat for Thailand as there won't be enough working people to support the older part of the population and there won't be enough labor to make the inustry competitive in the region.

Birth control is the wrong measure for Thailand!

It is the same story in developed and developing countries due to this equation:

Same standard of living - rising cost to raise a child =

Less children

I am responsible for the education of an 18 yo girl ready to attend college in Pattaya. The fee is 80 kb pa, ie 7 kb per month approximately. I could easily pay this from my pensions on a monthly basis. But since they want the whole annual fee in advance and no credit at all, the girl cannot go to college.

I've got all kinds of claims and properties in Germany, but ever since I'm in Thailand I'm a nobody for them. And everybody in Germany is afraid to be beaten up or killed by nobody :D

And let's not forget the quality of education. The recent global report had Thailand behind Cambodia and Myanmar. Were I a parent with kids in Thai school, this would be at the top of my rage list.

Sending your child to a Thai or bilingual school is condemning them. Even at the better ones, they have to follow the archaic Thai MOE curriculum and the foreigners employed are not much better than your average backpacker/sex tourist. Do all in your powers to send them to a reputable international school.

Every year for the past ten years we have helped the students of a rural school in Buriram province by helping to pay for uniforms, shoes and school supplies for children whose families could not afford them. I chose this school because the principal was a good friend of mine and he was a true educator who truly loved the children in his school. He died of cancer in 2010 but I promised him before he died that I would continue to help the children there as a legacy to our friendship. We started the first year with uniforms for 47 kids, then shoes for 110 kids. Now we have included sports uniforms and sports shoes, sporting equipment and put pressure on the local school district to release funds to improve the school facilities as well. Over time the number of children at this school has dropped from 117 children to the current enrollment of 85. Families here are having fewer children. A group of my friends, both foreign and local have gotten behind me on this and because of this we have been able to do a whole lot more.

We completely rebuilt the 9 classrooms, added a nursing station, a teacher's lounge, a library and computer room. added ceiling fans, created a kitchen so the kids could be fed twice a day, replaced all the desks for all the students and for the teachers as well. We added new doors to the classrooms, windows with bars and shutters, whiteboards, painted each room stem to stern, tiled the floors and redid the bathrooms, installed a new electrical system, constructed a drainage system that now prevents the classrooms from being flooded in rainy season and are currently building a dining hall and preparing sports fields. The total cost of these efforts for materials alone will have exceeded three million baht by the time we finish the major portion of the project. We started this program in 2005 with several foreigners but as a result a growing number of locals have been involved too. Even a Cobra Gold team of soldiers and marines participated as part of their community help program. I am not a rich man and I have a family of my own to support.

Try buying a couple of sets of uniforms for some child between 4 and 14 years of age and watch the smile on his or her face. Find a local school near where you live and do something positive.

Edited by treehouse_ monkey

And let's not forget the quality of education. The recent global report had Thailand behind Cambodia and Myanmar. Were I a parent with kids in Thai school, this would be at the top of my rage list.

Sending your child to a Thai or bilingual school is condemning them. Even at the better ones, they have to follow the archaic Thai MOE curriculum and the foreigners employed are not much better than your average backpacker/sex tourist. Do all in your powers to send them to a reputable international school.

In the pas I actually worked for a bilingual school and I am no backpacker nor sex tourist. The pay at the time was more than decent. There's also nothing wrong with the MOE curriculum, its copied from the US. Its the implementation where the Thai school go wrong as they tend to put more emphasis on extra curricular activities. Combine that with a no fail policy and you have a lethal mixture.

Sending them to an international school is crazy unless your company pays the tab. It cost you somewhere between 6 and 15 million baht per child to get them from K1 to 12. Its better and cheaper to move back to the West, buy a house and set up a business for yourself.

Why no just have the school logo? Why should each shirt be completely unique and individualized? I did just fine as did my class mates with out my name sewn into my uniform.

The current policy ensures shirts etc can not be passed down to siblings or reused by others thus securing yet another income stream.

If I ever have kids, someone remind me to tell the school that his/her name is "Fruit of the Loom".

One cost they could cut is the stupid need for a "uniform"

Its seems making them all look cute and pretty for school is more important than any learning.

Uniforms dont make you any better

One cost they could cut is the stupid need for a "uniform"

Its seems making them all look cute and pretty for school is more important than any learning.

Uniforms dont make you any better

Tell the teachers the same. Why do uniforms of teachers look so militaristic?