Prayut denies making traditional clothing mandatory

webfact

While I wonder what it really means when the top guy says he's simply "encouraging" something, I don't get the all the hostility here toward 'traditional clothing, especially the suggestion that it is a step backwards. Why is it that the whole world needs to look like penguin/clones dressed in western style. Does a western-style suit (or jeans) make you more 'advanced' than wearing a longyi, sarong, etc etc.? I, for one, think it's a little sad that cities across the world have become more similar than different. When I'm in another country, I don't need it to look like 'back home'...

Totally agree with you. What's wrong with embracing your culture and wearing traditional dress? Why does this mean that you must be less advanced?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

While I wonder what it really means when the top guy says he's simply "encouraging" something, I don't get the all the hostility here toward 'traditional clothing, especially the suggestion that it is a step backwards. Why is it that the whole world needs to look like penguin/clones dressed in western style. Does a western-style suit (or jeans) make you more 'advanced' than wearing a longyi, sarong, etc etc.? I, for one, think it's a little sad that cities across the world have become more similar than different. When I'm in another country, I don't need it to look like 'back home'...

Totally agree with you. What's wrong with embracing your culture and wearing traditional dress? Why does this mean that you must be less advanced?

Another harmless idea, attacked as being some form of mind control by the TV hacks. Must be a Wednesday!!

Yep...ahm...what about leaving everybody the freedom to dress how they like it?

Crazy idea, huh?

adding that he wears traditional clothing even while sleeping....or that he's dressed in pyjamas

cheesy.gif

Isn't pyjams an Indian word. Nothing worn in bed in our place , oh except the 'old boy ' sometimes.

Correct almost. Pai - Leg (Hindi) + Jamah - Clothing (Persian).

...Could you imagine the business that some places, like Big C and Central Festival (and pretty much every other shopping mall or large company) would do every Friday if their female staff were wearing nothing but a traditional (Thai silk) skirt and a smile !! (Now consider that most of those places are air-conditioned............)

It would provide us with somewhere to hang our traditional Thai hats!

He's just trying to encourage the use of clothing that works best for Thailand's climate. Thai silk fabric is of stronger composition than that sourced from China. My silk bedspreads, and table cloths hold their colour and have been long lasting. My silk shirts are durable and have held up well. All of the clothing I have purchased in Thailand that falls apart after a few washes has been non traditional. My Thai made "traditional" casual wear has held up. Give the guy a break please and don't nit pick.

Encourage?

Same like they "encourage" government workers to wear a yellow shirt on Mondays or a pink on Tuesdays and so on?

If it wasn't such a big deal then I wonder why he took the time to explain.

As for your back home comment. Back home people are not "encouraged" to wear a particular clothing, they wear whatever they want.

As for your back home comment. Back home people are not "encouraged" to wear a particular clothing, they wear whatever they want.

Your logic is 'off'. I didn't say that 'back home' people should be encouraged/compelled/etc to wear a particular style of clothing. I merely lamented the fact that the whole world (well, most of it) has adopted western style clothing and I would personally like to see more variety.

You're also factually incorrect. When I was in the corporate world and in government, I could definitely NOT wear whatever I wanted. Suit and tie was the order of the day ... you can consider 'order' to be quite literal in this instance.

I really think Prayut is a nice guy, but wish he would "put brain in gear before opening mouth" the he would not have to use reverse gear so often.

Where does the 'nice guy' come from? Gently sending people for attitude adjustment? Suggesting that women in bikinis are 'asking' to be raped? That last comment was clearly more than an instance of foot-in-mouth. It was him expressing genuine views, not realising that they're unacceptable in a modern society.

Your logic is 'off'. I didn't say that 'back home' people should be encouraged/compelled/etc to wear a particular style of clothing. I merely lamented the fact that the whole world (well, most of it) has adopted western style clothing and I would personally like to see more variety.

You're also factually incorrect. When I was in the corporate world and in government, I could definitely NOT wear whatever I wanted. Suit and tie was the order of the day ... you can consider 'order' to be quite literal in this instance.

And did they say which color or material that tie should be made from?