Best value PAYG short term SIM deals?

Hi All.

Up until now I've been happy just to use a non smartphone and have been purchasing payg DTAC or 12CALL sims when traveling to Thailand.

I'm now finding my smartphone invaluable and would be lost without many of its features.

I'm contemplating the purchase of a Micro Sim with internet access.

On my last trip I noticed a kiosk at the airport selling short term sims.

I don't recall the network involved but it was at arrivals, just after exiting customs.

I need access for one month with about 1 - 1.5 gig and calls/text.

National (Thai) calls and text, international text, & internet.

Which deal should I opt for?

Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks.

R

Edited by rockyysdt

All pre-paid "SIMs" can be considered short-term SIMs, and all providers have counters at the international arrival area at Suvarnabhumi.

every recently purchased SIM can get you access to the internet, you just have to sign up, usually by typing in a certain code. If you arrive at Suvarnabhumi, just approach those counters and ask what they have. They all speak English there (for some reason). Surprisingly, most packages of the different providers are almost identical in price and Data volume.

it is a CARTEL, after all.....

All pre-paid "SIMs" can be considered short-term SIMs, and all providers have counters at the international arrival area at Suvarnabhumi.

every recently purchased SIM can get you access to the internet, you just have to sign up, usually by typing in a certain code. If you arrive at Suvarnabhumi, just approach those counters and ask what they have. They all speak English there (for some reason). Surprisingly, most packages of the different providers are almost identical in price and Data volume.

it is a CARTEL, after all.....

Thanks S.

If they're all the same then my consideration won't be which provider but rather how much I'll be up for.

Also, which carrier provides the greatest coverage.

Also whether there is free talk between mobiles connected to the same provider.

Edited by rockyysdt

AIS has the best coverage in most rural areas but TRUE currently has the most extensive 4G network. As others pointed out, all three provide "Holiday" packages with a GB or two included.

If you come to Thailand on a yearly basis, inquire as to how you can lock in your number and service. I believe with AIS, a one time top up of B1000+ will extend validity for a year and each subsequent top-up will extend it for an additional year no matter the amount of the top-up. Just be sure to also ask the code to suspend your service when you depart Thailand.

I don't think any of the major players (AIS, CAT, DTAC, Truemove-H, TOT 3G or their MVNOs) offer free talk between provider clients.

On pre-paid, the best you'll be able to do is purchasing a Promotional Package that either gives you "X Call Minutes" or "Call Between start-time/end-time" that offer call/sms privileges limited to in-network calling, in Thailand calling, or International calling.

I don't think any of the major players (AIS, CAT, DTAC, Truemove-H, TOT 3G or their MVNOs) offer free talk between provider clients.

On pre-paid, the best you'll be able to do is purchasing a Promotional Package that either gives you "X Call Minutes" or "Call Between start-time/end-time" that offer call/sms privileges limited to in-network calling, in Thailand calling, or International calling.

Not free...but for B69 a week, AIS has "20 Hour Buffet" which allows charge free calls between AIS phones, excluding the hours between 6pm to 10pm which are one baht a minute. There is a similar B59/week plan that excludes 5pm to 10pm. You also get AIS WiFi free where available.

Not free...but for B69 a week, AIS has "20 Hour Buffet" which allows charge free calls between AIS phones, excluding the hours between 6pm to 10pm which are one baht a minute. There is a similar B59/week plan that excludes 5pm to 10pm. You also get AIS WiFi free where available.

Great information d.

We'll have to visit an AIS store and chat about their services.