Taxi costs from airports

narkeddiver

Depends on time of the day. Highway tolls are 75 baht. As said and guessed, a total of 400 baht approximately, shouldnt be more than that, can become cheaper though.

Edited by BKKBobby

to make sure they don't get ripped off in case they do not have enough small bills I always recommend to change money at Swampy (even though the rates are poor) in several transactions. while you wait for the luggage to appear on the luggage belt, you will probably have enough time (if no, do it after you have collected your luggage but are still inside the luggage area) to do several exchange transactions. Many exchange booths there. change 20$ or 20€ three times at different places will ensure you have a lot of smaller bills to have the exact amount for the Cabbie or ohter smaller transactions upon arrival. If the Cabbie was alright and did not engage in any scam activities, give him a small tip

I paid about 250 baht +tolls at 11 pm. If I remember right they also charge a 50 baht fee just to get the taxi at the airport. So around 400baht total sounds right.

They tried to get me to pay flat rate but insist on meter.

On a clearish run, a meter might not say much more over 350.

If the driver is ok (and you know what I mean) I am happy to get away with 500 including toll and tip.

An absolute bargain, IMO, compared with what I would pay for that length of trip in the UK.

However, my very last trip was disastrous. I said both eleven and sip et and, although his English was poor I thought he understood me.

I realised I was in trouble when I suddenly noticed we were going across Asoke. Hand signals required.

It was a slow weavy way back to soi 11.

He still got 500, although the meter had crept up a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

When we were there (XMAS 2014), we paid 240 baht + 50 baht 'airport charge' (was printed on bottom of receipt) - Didn't bother questioning the authenticity of the 50 baht charge as the whole fare still came in at under 300 baht (no toll charges, late at night)

This was to Suk Soi 15 btw

Which airport , and the toll roads are free late at night ???

Suvarnabhumi

The 2 occasions we were there (landed late at night), there was no toll charge (the only toll we went through was about half way between the city and the airport).

Upon leaving BKK, there was a toll we had to pay during the day, but we didn't hit this one on our arrival, only departure

Last week, I came to BKK with two other people with a lot of luggage. Normally, if I am alone, I take the Airport Link train to Phaya Thai (45 baht and fairly fast). This time, that wasn't practical with many luggages.

I used Grab Taxi app and booked their "premium" car to my condo in lower Sukhumvit. It was a black Toyota Camry with a female driver. The car was extremely clean and my companions commented on how good the car smelled.

It was 600 baht flat fee (including tollway). She had EasyPass and breezed through the tollway and knew how to take the back road to my condo away from heavy traffic (which earned her a bit of tip on top of 600 baht). Totally worth it for hassle free and safe ride into the town in a decent car.

My friend also used the app to book a taxi from Ratchathewi to Bangkok Noi after many taxis refused to go there. I think there was 25 baht booking service charge.

I sometimes use to book Taxi or "premium" to airport as well when I am feeling lazy. The taxis seem cleaner and nicer and drivers less crazy. Premium cars were always black color Totoya Camry or equivalent.

I like Grab Taxi app :)

News to me. Never seen a car be able to pass through the toll booths without paying.

only times I am aware of are 1 day over Songkran, and I think News Years day are free

News to me. Never seen a car be able to pass through the toll booths without paying.

only times I am aware of are 1 day over Songkran, and I think News Years day are free

Now that you mention it, I think they suspended tolls for five days over the New Year's holiday. (Or was that the banks that suspended ATM fees...or both?) Definitely not "free late at night" though.

Edited by TheAppletons

First time was during the floods in 2010, can't remember why there was no fee the other time, but do remember that there was no fee! Granted, I should have mentioned that this is the exception rather than the rule.

So, I guess as mentioned above, 400 (give or take) should get you in from the airport.

Going to Suk 11 During heavy traffic I had a guy pull off before the first toll booth. I thought I was being taken "for a ride". Turns out he really knows the roads, was surprised I offered a 100 baht tip. Best BKK taxi ever.

Now that you mention it, I think they suspended tolls for five days over the New Year's holiday. (Or was that the banks that suspended ATM fees...or both?) Definitely not "free late at night" though.

During certain holidays in Thailand toll fees are not charged, as to the exact number of days not sure but it happens and your right, definitely not free at night, certainly in my experience