Pattaya Boom-Boom Pick-up trucks checked by District Officers

webfact

I don't really mind church bells, muezzins, Buddhist chanting or any other religious sounds.

I'm quite annoyed bu these soundblaster trucks, too. Maybe more than most posters here, because I'm a musician and I rather like different sounds. I'm also annoyed by the noise of building constructions, and I could hardly advise Thai people to stop building houses because of noise pollution.

Guess I should take Pattaya as what it is: a loud city where it's sometimes better to keep away from the noise a bit.

Edited by micmichd

Oh Dear

It's a tourist resort- there's always some noise here.

Choose where you live very carefully and it's not a problem.

I'm not sure why people come to live in Pattaya / Jomtien and expect it to be fabulously civilised, quiet , have stunning architecture and infrastructure . It doesn't , it's all a bit chaotic.

All part of its charm.

1. "Choose where you live ... " - The story is about speaker trucks. They know no boundaries. Comprendez?

2. "It's a tourist resort ... " Cool, no need to be civilised. No families, just raging party drunks.

3. All part of its charm??? Yes the chaos can be charming. Speaker trucks are not.

Sorry where I live in Jomtien there are no trucks - none, never likely to be- always quiet.

It all depends where you live, if you have a tacky room above a knocking shop- oops it's going to be noisy - research the area.

As I said its a resort - it's noisy. If you want peace- go to Nakhon Nowwhere- listen to the quiet rustle of rice growing and lights out at 9.00pm

Yes if you get your knickers in a twist about a few boom boom trucks - time to move on. Don't let people enjoy themselves because they might impinge on your idea of the fabulousness of Thailand- so many of us live here because we are not subject to the horrendous nanny state - and enjoy that fact.

If you want peace- go to Nakhon Nowwhere- listen to the quiet rustle of rice growing and lights out at 9.00pm

Where do people get this idea that rural Isaan is peaceful and quiet, trust me, it isn't, and when it's noisy, it is really noisy.

Oh Dear

I'm not sure why people come to live in Pattaya / Jomtien and expect it to be fabulously civilised, quiet , have stunning architecture and infrastructure . It doesn't , it's all a bit chaotic.

All part of its charm.

1. "Choose where you live ... " - The story is about speaker trucks. They know no boundaries. Comprendez?

2. "It's a tourist resort ... " Cool, no need to be civilised. No families, just raging party drunks.

3. All part of its charm??? Yes the chaos can be charming. Speaker trucks are not.

Sorry where I live in Jomtien there are no trucks - none, never likely to be- always quiet.

It all depends where you live, if you have a tacky room above a knocking shop- oops it's going to be noisy - research the area.

As I said its a resort - it's noisy. If you want peace- go to Nakhon Nowwhere- listen to the quiet rustle of rice growing and lights out at 9.00pm

Yes if you get your knickers in a twist about a few boom boom trucks - time to move on. Don't let people enjoy themselves because they might impinge on your idea of the fabulousness of Thailand- so many of us live here because we are not subject to the horrendous nanny state - and enjoy that fact.

Allow me to respond. First, "a few boom boom trucks." There are far more than a few. Second, this is not about people "enjoying themselves;" rather, it is about a group of Thai idiots (mostly young males) who are repeatedly and maliciouslly violating the right of others to not be subjected to extreme noise pollution. Third, yes, Pattaya-Jomtien has always been a noisy place, but never like it is today and the boom trucks are a major cause of that. Fourth, I have lived in nowhere Thailand and in Pattaya-Jomtien and it is almost impossible to find a place with the "quiet rustle of rice growing." The noise problem has spread to the far reaches of Thailand. Fifth, it does not all depend on where you live if by that you mean people living on the upscale side of town are less likely to be hit by noise pollution than people living in a "tacky room." Some of the worst places to be are near the upscale condos along the beach, especially way up high in one of those condo units. If you are in a miracle situation and living in a place where there are no boom trucks, congratulations. The main issue is that the boom trucks are a major annoyance, which is why people have complained about them and the "district officers" are finally acting on those complaints. Noise pollution, in general, is spreading like a cancer in Thailand. And behind it is a generation of total idiots who have no concern for other people. It is past time to take serious action to stop the "cancer." End of rant.

In regard to all the development going on in Jomtien, I wonder why all the developers, real estate agencies, agents, and all the real estate media don't band together into a lobby group that would go to City Hall and address issues like this. Obviously, a huge amount of money is being spent on these new projects and you would think the real estate business sector would want to protect their interests and work for city improvements. Individuals, especially foreign, don't really have any clout but I think a powerful group speaking with one united voice could be heard. And, not just with this issue but many others as well.

This is not a phenomenon of Pattaya, sound pollution is quite common in Europe.

Offhand I cant think of anywhere in Europe where this level of unlicensed and unwelcome noise would be permitted. Certainly not in any built-up area.

In Switzerland & Germany you get six months for flushing your toilet outside of daylight hours.

In regard to all the development going on in Jomtien, I wonder why all the developers, real estate agencies, agents, and all the real estate media don't band together into a lobby group that would go to City Hall and address issues like this. Obviously, a huge amount of money is being spent on these new projects and you would think the real estate business sector would want to protect their interests and work for city improvements. Individuals, especially foreign, don't really have any clout but I think a powerful group speaking with one united voice could be heard. And, not just with this issue but many others as well.

Agreed.

I've seen posts on forums warning customers to stay away from large developments because of a nuisance like a Karaoke Bar.

For example, someone was inquiring about the Avenue condo recently and there were many posts warning the buyer to stay away because of the noise.

The problem is the police benefit from complaints and take payments from the noisemakers.

Thais don't complain because the retaliation can be off the charts.

I had a landlord lose many tenants because of a police owned karaoke bar. He lost half his income but would not complain because he fears the police.

Agreed.

I've seen posts on forums warning customers to stay away from large developments because of a nuisance like a Karaoke Bar.

For example, someone was inquiring about the Avenue condo recently and there were many posts warning the buyer to stay away because of the noise.

The problem is the police benefit from complaints and take payments from the noisemakers.

Thais don't complain because the retaliation can be off the charts.

I had a landlord lose many tenants because of a police owned karaoke bar. He lost half his income but would not complain because he fears the police.

I agree with Jamejohnsonthird (who is on second? smile.png). It is an excellent idea for "developers, real estate agencies, etc. to band together as a lobby group and compel City Hall to start taking noise pollution seriously. I, for one, would never purchase any real estate in Pattaya-Jomtien because of the growing noise pollution problem. It has to stop. As an aside, the noise problem is not only the result of the boom trucks and the idiots that drive them. Bars w/ horrendous Karaoke "singers" are a serious problem (strict zoning is one answer). Unfortunately, the noise problem is spreading like a cancer to hotels. I know of three hotels that play very loud music almost every night and the Thai owners/managers are actually promoting it! I can't imagine farangs enjoying that, but TIT. No, I do not want to live in a "nanny State" like Singapore, but city officials in Pattaya-Jomtien need to seriously address this issue. If left unchecked, the noise pollution will cause a lot of financial damage to restaurant owners, hotel owners that cater to farangs (maybe Thais actually like the noise pollution) and virtually anyone involved in the real estate sector. In fact, I am sure that it is already is causing financial damage.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Pattaya Beach is surely a loud area, all this nightlife etc. Many younger Farangs that go there like this area *because* it is full of (loud) life.

Some (usually older) Farangs are already half-way gone, and all they want is rest now. So, what they actually want is gentrification - the redesign of an urban area to fulfill their own egoistic desires. If they would succeed that would probably make Pattaya Beach unattractive to many tourists.

There's enough silent areas in Greater Pattaya where Expats can fade away.

Edited by micmichd

Pattaya Beach is surely a loud area, all this nightlife etc. Many younger Farangs that go there like this area *because* it is full of (loud) life.

Some (usually older) Farangs are already half-way gone, and all they want is rest now. So, what they actually want is gentrification - the redesign of an urban area to fulfill their own egoistic desires. If they would succeed that would probably make Pattaya Beach unattractive to many tourists.

There's enough silent areas in Greater Pattaya where Expats can fade away.

I know elderly people who love music (e.g. musicians), but they do not want it forced on them everywhere they go at all times of the night and day. I also know young people who want to do something with their lives that involves thinking, and they too do not want to be forced to hear loud and annoying music night and day. The main point here centers on the right of members in a society (usually the majority) to not have to be exposed to the destructive behavior of others (usually the minority). It is similar to having the right to not be exposed to second-hand cigarette smoke from smokers who care nothing about the health of others. Living in a world where every individual Ego can do what it wants is not a world the vast majority of humans would want to live in. Legal systems and associated laws that exist today are, in large part, designed to prevent a minority of people from imposing their destructive behaviors on the majority. Back to planet earth, I do think it is a very good idea for real estate agents and associated entities to band together and approach City officials about the growing noise pollution problem in Pattaya-Jomtien.

Yes, even in loud areas it's good to have a place to chill out sometimes.

Maybe they could define different areas in Pattaya, like entertainment zones or sleeping zones. Minorities in one zone could be majorities in another zone. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a solution.

Yes, even in loud areas it's good to have a place to chill out sometimes.

Maybe they could define different areas in Pattaya, like entertainment zones or sleeping zones. Minorities in one zone could be majorities in another zone. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a solution.

Good idea! It is about city planning (virtually non-existent here) and zoning. It would be nice for city officials to declare the beach areas and other select areas "off limits" to extremely loud and annoying noise, unless a permit for doing that has been issued by the City (e.g. for a special music festival). Force the bars to concentrate in one or two areas in the city (a giant Walking Street), preferably away from the beach areas, upscale condos and upscale hotels. Then you would have quiet spaces for those want it and crazy/noisy places for those who want that. The end result: a "win win" situation for those who want to be subjected to loud noise with or without their consent and those who do not. But, first, turn all of the boom trucks into scrap metal :)

All good ideas. I forgot to mention that restaurant owners, hoteliers, and others could also be part of this lobby group as they also have a major stake in the area's success. It's heartening when you drive about Pattaya and Jomtien and you see lots of new businesses opening--bakeries and pastry shops, butcher shops, wine shops, and lots of cafes, sandwich shops, and new restaurants. Lots of older buildings are being painted and refurbished. People are investing a lot of their time and money to make Pattaya/Jomtien a better place. Unfortunately, City Hall has yet to step up to the plate and do its part. All areas need improvement and it needs to be ongoing, well-thought, and diligent. And. please, no more one day wonders like Beach Day Cleanup or Walking Street Cleanup. Every day should be Cleanup. Batter up, City Hall and try to hit a home run or at least a base hit!

It's a question of taste (I don't like Isaan Technk too much), but it's also a question of volume. Someone should tell them they damage their bass speakers if they turn them on to maximum volume. They also ruin their ears.

In many cases this "boom boom" sound is a consequence of unsufficient tone resolution in the low frequencies. The bass frequencies get meshed up, and it comes to resonances which will eventually kill the bass speakers.

This is not a phenomenon of Pattaya, sound pollution is quite common in Europe.

Live music sounds usually better.

No, don't tell them anything, they won't listen anyway (not just because they have been rendered deaf) when the pick-up falls to pieces like a clown-car, just snigger. (pointing is optional)

I thought finger pointing was mandatory.

Not only fingerpointing to the sources of noise.

Lots can be done to improve the acoustic "behaviour" of buildings, too. Find out which way the sounds go, and then make some small changes to strategic points where it comes to resonance. This can be done by easiest means like egg boxes (as many musicians probably know), or small changes in architectural material.

Also other environmental changes. Trees eg swallow lots of noise.

Last not least:

Beware of sensory deprivation by creating totally silent areas.

I would miss the birds if they don't twitter anymore.

Edited by micmichd

Oh Dear

All part of its charm.

Allow me to respond. First, "a few boom boom trucks." There are far more than a few. Second, this is not about people "enjoying themselves;" rather, it is about a group of Thai idiots (mostly young males) who are repeatedly and maliciouslly violating the right of others to not be subjected to extreme noise pollution. Third, yes, Pattaya-Jomtien has always been a noisy place, but never like it is today and the boom trucks are a major cause of that. Fourth, I have lived in nowhere Thailand and in Pattaya-Jomtien and it is almost impossible to find a place with the "quiet rustle of rice growing." The noise problem has spread to the far reaches of Thailand. Fifth, it does not all depend on where you live if by that you mean people living on the upscale side of town are less likely to be hit by noise pollution than people living in a "tacky room." Some of the worst places to be are near the upscale condos along the beach, especially way up high in one of those condo units. If you are in a miracle situation and living in a place where there are no boom trucks, congratulations. The main issue is that the boom trucks are a major annoyance, which is why people have complained about them and the "district officers" are finally acting on those complaints. Noise pollution, in general, is spreading like a cancer in Thailand. And behind it is a generation of total idiots who have no concern for other people. It is past time to take serious action to stop the "cancer." End of rant.

I snickered when I read your Fourth statement regarding Nowhere, Thailand and not being able to hear the "quiet rustle of rice growing". Perhaps if I may, suggest a Final destination for you, enabling yourself to hear the "rice rustling sound? You need to travel to Surin Province (Rice, Rice and more Rice growing area) Any small village South of East-West Highway 24. Yep, You will definitely get your full of the quietness after one week. It is so quiet, it is capable of turning a sane man, insane. I have built a Home with the Missus in one of the small villages so We can be close to her Family there whenever we visit them. I spent Months there while it was being built, so I speak from experience. Nice place to visit for a short while, But I can't wait to get back to the energy Bangkok provides me with. IMHO thumbsup.gif

How much do these Boom Boom truck drivers get paid for getting on people's nerves, and how much gas do they spend?

Come the day that one of them works out that they are only getting three kilometres of distance travelled per litre of fuel, it may dawn on them that being the loudest thing in town, may quite possibly be self denigrating.

I will not hold my breath.

Empty vessels and all that.