I have a Thai Elite visa and would like to buy a car

I have an elite visa and I bought a car and registered it last week in my own name with no problem .. I went down to immigration and told them I wanted two copes of the paper I needed as I was buying a car and selling my old one . They gave me a form witch I filled out and handed back with three or four foto's and copy of my passport. He told me to wait a few minutes called me back over asked for five hundred baht gave me my two papers job done no stress

Edited by Brasilouro

i just bought a brand new car and have thailand elite also, i only needed the residency letter but

as sometimes it takes longer than 30 days to get the plates and blue book the garage called me after 30 days if i could make a new one as the first one was expired, i did and there was no problem just so you know you might need to do 2 letters after eachother

rick

Thanks UbonJoeand Richard,

That's great new actually, I certainly can get a certificate of residence quite easily.

Now I have an international driving license, I guess a Thai driving license isn't compulsory right?

Many thanks to all of you!

A Thai licence is necessary if you are going to be living here for any length of time.

Why ? Most Thais don't bother with one.

Just a curiosity question Vinmelo89...or Ubonjoe........did you also purchase an Elite card for your wife, or dose she get a visa based on the fact that you have a card?

The card is only for 1 person, so I bought it for myself and my wife gets no benefit from it. It happens that she needs to leave Thailand regularly and so far the tourist visas are enough for her.. but if she wanted the same benefits as I have we'd have to pay another half million baht for 5 years.

Sorry for being off topic here, but I have a chance to have a pressing questioned answered.

I recently got my Elite Via and my wife hasn't yet flown with me, I'm curious. When you say "she gets no benefits" does that mean she can't ride with you in the home-to-airport-to-home limo? Or ride the golf cart with you in the airport? Or go with you through the fast-lane at immigration?

Edited by HerbalEd

Thai elite visa ? I would be embarrassed to confess to that. You should keep that very quiet.

You embarrass easily.

After 30-plus years of scores and scores of 30-day non-visa entries, multi-entry tourist visas, extensions, visa runs, and overstays ... and waiting in lines forever ... I am very happy to say I now have an Elite Visa and am rid of all that hassle.

Edited by HerbalEd

Remember, any answer is only as good as the question.

In this case the question you asked the Thai elite was a trick question, because you asked if your Visa was sufficient to buy a car. Visa is irrelevant when you buy a car.

OP's question was clearly stated, but evidently not clear enough for you. Or do you just enjoy being glib?

Just a curiosity question Vinmelo89...or Ubonjoe........did you also purchase an Elite card for your wife, or dose she get a visa based on the fact that you have a card?

The card is only for 1 person, so I bought it for myself and my wife gets no benefit from it. It happens that she needs to leave Thailand regularly and so far the tourist visas are enough for her.. but if she wanted the same benefits as I have we'd have to pay another half million baht for 5 years.

Sorry for being off topic here, but I have a chance to have a pressing questioned answered.

I recently got my Elite Via and my wife hasn't yet flown with me, I'm curious. When you say "she gets no benefits" does that mean she can't ride with you in the home-to-airport-to-home limo? Or ride the golf cart with you in the airport? Or go with you through the fast-lane at immigration?

she can ride with you in the limo just make sure you mention it when you make the reservation. also if you land with your partner she can ride with you to immigration and the staff will process her passport through fast track also. i know from experience

rick

I'm amazed at all the great answers I received. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.

This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for me. I'll go get my residence certificate soon (I've done my 90 day report 2 days ago) and once it's done I'll go see the dealershop. Then on to get my local driving license.

All that's good news for me !

Hi vinmelo89,

Ubonjoe is always a sound source of advice as are others on this thread. I can't add to the advice about buying the car which is a straightforward business.

However, on the Thai Driving License... Seven days ago I had to renew my five-year license and the process has now been changed by the government (at least in Phitsanulok) for this. First, regardless of already having a Thai license for seven years, I had to sit for an hour through a Thai 'safe driving' video and then drive round a pre-marked-out, concrete road system in my own car to prove my driving skills. It was totally 'Mickey Mouse', but a mandatory test, alongside the 'vision and reaction' test. After five hours of going through hoops, they issued a SIX YEAR Driving License. All done and dusted!

Good Luck and a fair wind... :-)

I thought Thai Elite staff would treat you like a princess and do the legwork for you.

The staff will do the 90-day reporting for you. And the service at the airport is excellent.

I'm amazed at all the great answers I received. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.

This opens up a whole lot of possibilities for me. I'll go get my residence certificate soon (I've done my 90 day report 2 days ago) and once it's done I'll go see the dealershop. Then on to get my local driving license.

Hi vinmelo89,

Ubonjoe is always a sound source of advice as are others on this thread. I can't add to the advice about buying the car which is a straightforward business.

However, on the Thai Driving License... Seven days ago I had to renew my five-year license and the process has now been changed by the government (at least in Phitsanulok) for this. First, regardless of already having a Thai license for seven years, I had to sit for an hour through a Thai 'safe driving' video and then drive round a pre-marked-out, concrete road system in my own car to prove my driving skills. It was totally 'Mickey Mouse', but a mandatory test, alongside the 'vision and reaction' test. After five hours of going through hoops, they issued a SIX YEAR Driving License. All done and dusted!

Hi AjarnMartin, thanks for that valuable info, I've heard some funny stories about the thai driving licence test, I can't wait to be in there to see it myself !

To get a residence certificate from Embassy or Immigration now and any time again in the future is going to cost you dear every time and again.

A repeated waist of time money and spirit.

Better trouble once to get Yellow Housebook and use that to get Thai Drivers License. All together less than ฿500 once and good for all occasions of any kind of official use the Thai Way.

So stupid them ! So incredible that people don't even know that you can buy a car with a 30 days visa exempt on arrival or a tourist visa !

When someone says something this stupid I like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume they're kidding or trolling.

If you buy a brand new car, from a dealer, I am pretty sure no certificate of residence will be needed. The dealer will have contacts in the registration office and will very likely sort it for you to ensure the sale. When I bought my car from Toyota in Chiangmai I was on a tourist visa and no certificate of residence was required. It was registered in my own name of course.

Hi vinmelo89,

Are you sure you got a driving license for six years? Normally you get 5 years plus the time until your next birthday.

Hi vinmelo89,

Are you sure you got a driving license for six years? Normally you get 5 years plus the time until your next birthday.

If you get your licence 1 day after your birthday you will get 1 day short of 6 years.

Thanks UbonJoeand Richard,

That's great new actually, I certainly can get a certificate of residence quite easily.

Now I have an international driving license, I guess a Thai driving license isn't compulsory right?

Many thanks to all of you!

A Thai licence is necessary if you are going to be living here for any length of time.

Why ? Most Thais don't bother with one.

Well, maybe because of the small matter of insurance? If you drive without a driving license and end up having an accident the insurance company will not pay out one single Baht - Thai or foreigner.

In that respect farangs and Thais are treated as equals!!

Looks like there are many Thailand Elite members replying on this particular thread...

Well, I also confirm, I am a Thailand Elite member and bought all my cars without a problem.

The type of visa has nothing to do with the procedures to buy a car.

The Thailand Elite membership and PE visa have everything to do with making a stay in Thailand comfortable though...

Edited by gerry1011

Looks like there are many Thailand Elite members replying on this particular thread...

Well, I also confirm, I am a Thailand Elite member and bought all my cars without a problem.

The type of visa has nothing to do with the procedures to buy a car.

The Thailand Elite membership and PE visa have everything to do with making a stay in Thailand comfortable though...

Who doesn't have Thailand Elite membership? This is Thaivisa, there are no fantasising pikeys here.

Remember, any answer is only as good as the question.

In this case the question you asked the Thai elite was a trick question, because you asked if your Visa was sufficient to buy a car. Visa is irrelevant when you buy a car.

OP's question was clearly stated, but evidently not clear enough for you. Or do you just enjoy being glib?

I'm not being at all glib. I am stating a fact.

Questions have to be very clearly stated in Thailand or the answer will not make sense. When asked if the Elite Visa will enable you to buy a car, the western answer is that it makes no difference what visa you have, but you will need a residence letter. The Thai answer is No, You cannot buy a car with a Elite Visa. Both are 100% correct, the second answer just fails to elaborate and state that no visa is sufficient to buy a car, regardless of visa you need a residence letter.

Same Same but Different. To get by in Thailand you need to break down the question into small simple chunks.

Question One: Can I buy a car with my Elite Visa.

Answer One. No You Cannot.

Question Two: What sort of Visa would enable me to buy a Car.

Answer Two: None.

Question Three: What Do I require to buy a car.

Answer Three: You will need a residency letter from Immigration.

Question Four. Why did you not tell me that before.

Answer Four. Mister, You No Understand.

Edited by technologybytes

I have bought 2 new cars here in the last 15 years no problem, just go & buy it. In your name is fine.

If you are paying cash the dealer will take care of everything.

@nd hand dealers & (or) HP ask the forum, maybe a bit more red tape