What To Do?

To make a long story short...

I had a Non-Immigrant B visa and work permit. Scheduled to expire next month.

Stopped working at the school. They cancelled my work permit effective August 31, 2006. They notified me of this on September 8th, 2006. So, I was 8 days over. Went to Immigration yesterday and had to pay 8 day overstay fine plus additional fee for a 7 day extension. They have given me until Spetember 14, 2006 to leave Thailand.

I do however have other employment and they are willing to apply for a work permit for me, but I will need a new Non-B visa to do that. And they will not have the paperwork together in time before the 14th.

It has been suggested that I do a border run to Mae Sai and get the extra 30 days. After which time, I will have the necessary paperwork and then I can then go to either Laos, KL, or Singapore to apply for the Non-B all over again.

But I thought that one needed to be on a tourist visa in order to apply for a Non-B and doing the border run won't help me there.

Does this sound right, any other suggestions?

I am at a complete and total loss here!!!!

You need at least a tourist visa to convert to a non immigrant visa at Immigration but you will not be doing that with this plan. You get the paperwork to apply for a non immigrant visa and then take a trip to a nearby Consulate to obtain a non immigrant visa on the basis of that paperwork.

lopburi3, thanks for the quick reply.

The school is telling me that they won't have the paperwork together before the 14th. So, by going to the border I would be buying the extra time for them to get it together.

I feel like I'm screwed and I have little control over what I can do.