wife wants to change first name

My wife has done this before. Before we met she had a name that she believed was unlucky because she was told by a monk.

Its all to do with the beginning letter of her name. For example if her name stars with M and pronounced Moo Maa which is a horse in Thai. The monk told her that if she changes her to start with a K or a G she would get lucky.

She changed her name at the Amphuur and has a certificate from them too. Her ID card was changed to the new name along with the family tabian baan. Her passport has the new name on it too, so you might have to get your wife another passport with the new name in it and transfer her UK visa while your here in Thailand.

Or you can just fly back using her original passport and have her ID card changed for now.

Tell her to wait until you are back in the UK. She can renew her passport at the Thai embassy/

This is useful information and a good workaround on this occasion. Though, doesn't resolve obstacles to the OP's wife's next visa application, i.e. FLR or ILR, or holiday abroad. Notwithstanding, applying for a replacement Thai passport in the UK is a pain in the butt due to the in-person nature of the application.

Not an insurmountable problem but I fear this name change is going to cost some hard cash as far as UKVI/Home Office are concerned.

Obviously, the Home Office will need to be approached and there will be some paperwork involved, topped off with a not insignificant charge for administration.

Suradit's advice is sound in that it allows your wife to return to the UK without hindrance on this occasion.

She can then set about informing UKVI/Home Office of her name change.

In Thailand it's normal to go for a name change upon bankruptcy to brush away yesterday's failures and keep creditors off your trail.

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. First of all a person cannot file for personal bankruptcy in Thailand. The creditors would file bankruptcy on you and then they will take anything of value, you have no choice. I know a Thai guy this happened to. He worked for the govt so lost his job too as if you have a bankruptcy you can not work for the government.

Changing names is a common in Thailand. Once they get it in their mind there is no stopping them. It's not costly and not that big of a deal in Thailand.

My wife changed her first name several years ago. She had her ID and passport updated and have had no problems with Visa's for the USA.

OP make sure you wife gets a new ID and passport with her new name and get a certified translated document supporting her name change and you should not have any issues.

I tried every trick in the book to make my girlfriend call out my name in bed, I think its really sexy --but nothing worked.

My last hope now is to change my name to..... "Is it in ?".........................coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

Convince her , you don't know my wife . She's decided her name is unlucky and that's it so she's hell bent on changing it and nothing i say will make any difference .

So i'm stuck with this problem till i figure a way round it .

I did phone GOV.UK

--------------------------

I had an English friend whose last name was HOY (pronounced HO EE)

His Thai wife's given name was OY.

Therefore when she was married her name was Oy Hoy.

Obviously she wanted to have her name changed.

But I don't know if she ever managed it or not.

Dead easy to do just go to a solicitor and get it changed by Deed Poll. My Thai step son did it when he reached 18 because he wanted to have the same surname as his Mum.

Tell her to wait until you are back in the UK. She can renew her passport at the Thai embassy/

This is useful information and a good workaround on this occasion. Though, doesn't resolve obstacles to the OP's wife's next visa application, i.e. FLR or ILR, or holiday abroad. Notwithstanding, applying for a replacement Thai passport in the UK is a pain in the butt due to the in-person nature of the application.

Not an insurmountable problem but I fear this name change is going to cost some hard cash as far as UKVI/Home Office are concerned.

Obviously, the Home Office will need to be approached and there will be some paperwork involved, topped off with a not insignificant charge for administration.

Suradit's advice is sound in that it allows your wife to return to the UK without hindrance on this occasion.

She can then set about informing UKVI/Home Office of her name change.

See my post #39