Thailand never fails to amaze ! Car test.

Hi H,

Thanks for that, Last year my wife said she would see a friend and get it done,no problem. We did as she said,all ok the test and tax cost nearly 8k !! sure we got Thaid

The tax for my 4x4 is 3,300tb so the test was very much over the top.

I'm afraid it sounds like it was "you" not "we" who got "Thaid"

Yes i make a correction I got Thaid thumbsup.gif But now she has been farangedsmile.png

Hi H,

Thanks for that, Last year my wife said she would see a friend and get it done,no problem. We did as she said,all ok the test and tax cost nearly 8k !! sure we got Thaid

The tax for my 4x4 is 3,300tb so the test was very much over the top.

That's what friends are for in LOS stich you up BIG time whistling.gif

Friends and family he he

UK MOT is now linked to DVLA servers as mentioned, so it cut out all the Nod & a wink 'I'll run it into my mates Garage' arrangments. Is not to get old cars off the road, it ensures the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and safe for the user and general public and safe to be used on the Queens highway, also now a days ensures from gas analyser test that emmisions are within guidlines for year of vehicle manufactuer (older vehicles have more allowance on emmisions)

if you have an older vehicle it is piece of mind to know that structually the car or vehicle is sound, suspension struts/arms, track rod ends, steering etc

UK MOT is now linked to DVLA servers as mentioned, so it cut out all the Nod & a wink 'I'll run it into my mates Garage' arrangments. Is not to get old cars off the road, it ensures the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and safe for the user and general public and safe to be used on the Queens highway, also now a days ensures from gas analyser test that emmisions are within guidlines for year of vehicle manufactuer (older vehicles have more allowance on emmisions)

if you have an older vehicle it is piece of mind to know that structually the car or vehicle is sound, suspension struts/arms, track rod ends, steering etc

In the UK, pre 1960 cars don't need an MOT, which I think is a daft decision......facepalm.gif

Yes they do 100% but pre 1960 cars do not need to pay road tax

In the UK, pre 1960 cars don't need an MOT, which I think is a daft decision......facepalm.gif

Yes they do 100% but pre 1960 cars do not need to pay road tax

Wrong...

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dft.gov.uk%2Fclassic-mot%2F&ei=bN1WVePJNszt8gX25YLYAg&usg=AFQjCNGPpF8kgHOAXFfDvlUuJ0D8VZv--w&bvm=bv.93564037,d.dGc

Thanks this is news to me.But is the law in force now? I have a pre 1960 car at home in the UK on sorn

Charlie, the UK MOT test is just a moneymaking thing for the government, your car can pass the test on the day, then fail it the same night, after you paying a lot of money (I don't know how much the MOT is today).

Get two MOT mechanics to take some cars of the road over three years old, give them an MOT test, and I will bet that a very big majority will fail.

Like everything else in the UK, it's all about money.

The good point is, that these guys go to the LTO for you and clear the taxes. Even though this takes just about 15 minutes here in Phuket, it is still quite inconvenient to drive across the island to the office. Well worth the extra 100 Baht tip I always give.

Many places where the testing can be done, no need to drive across the whole island.

Where can the test be done in Phuket? How much does it cost? Thanks!

OP, why amazing Thailand?

What is the difference between this test and the MOT test back in the UK?

Because they have a big list with many ticks you think that they are doing a better check up in the UK?

Brakes, tyres and exhaust fumes is the main points to check, here and there.

Well the thing is that most over here are always trying not to be ripped of ( Thaid) as this seems to run in the culture. Even the Thais themselves fall for the

bull. We tend to be a bit wiser,but Thai wives and their loss of face cost a great deal of cash.

That makes it amazing Thailand,as in the UK non of this would go on,and would turn out cheaper in the long run

The UK would turn out cheaper in the long run?????????????

The test is about making money, nothing else....well it has to be when you see vehicles like this on a public road!

attachicon.gif002 (2).JPG

Making money???? Charlie only paid 200 Baht. In the UK, he would probably pay the equivalent of about 3000 Baht.

and that's before anyone even looked at the car.

I am old enough to remember the original UK MOT test...

...Brakes, Lights and Steering only.

That was before the UK government found out how much money they could make from it.

The UK motorist is nothing more than a cash cow.

Are you sure about that Trans? Are you not thinking about the tax?

The good point is, that these guys go to the LTO for you and clear the taxes. Even though this takes just about 15 minutes here in Phuket, it is still quite inconvenient to drive across the island to the office. Well worth the extra 100 Baht tip I always give.

Many places where the testing can be done, no need to drive across the whole island.

Where can the test be done in Phuket? How much does it cost? Thanks!

Dozens of places all over the island, just look for the sign. Sorry, don't have a picture of that sign on hand, but see post #12 in this thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736676-renew-bike-registration-pattaya-location/

Seems reasonable. In the UK it's just a ploy to get as many old cars off the road. The Thai test is probably as good as it should be and as your Vigo is streets ahead of everything else, the Test Men didn't need to look much further!

You got that right.

If the ABS light or the Airbag light come on, un the UK it is a fail now. A replacement Ford Mondeo ABS unit is £1,500. I bet a lot of good cars have been scrapped because of these tests which have nothing to do with roadworthiness.

If I know I don't have ABS, I can drive carefully. It's never saved me form anything yet. If the passenger airbag doesn't work it's the same as if one isn't fitted.

Rip off Britain.

Seems reasonable. In the UK it's just a ploy to get as many old cars off the road. The Thai test is probably as good as it should be and as your Vigo is streets ahead of everything else, the Test Men didn't need to look much further!

Nonsense, older cars don't need an MOT in UK.

You got that right.

If the ABS light or the Airbag light come on, un the UK it is a fail now. A replacement Ford Mondeo ABS unit is £1,500. I bet a lot of good cars have been scrapped because of these tests which have nothing to do with roadworthiness.

If I know I don't have ABS, I can drive carefully. It's never saved me form anything yet. If the passenger airbag doesn't work it's the same as if one isn't fitted.

Rip off Britain.

MOT's are everything to do with vehicle roadworthiness, what you stated is ridiculous.

If the airbag warning light is on it could also mean that it could deploy itself without an

impact prematurely, causing the driver to have an accident.

If the ABS warning light is on it means that the brakes could malfunction and reduce

the vehicles stopping distance, which could also cause an accident.

All these MOT criteria are to prevent vehicle accidents and reduce accident death rates,

it's one of the reasons that Thailand has the second highest road death toll worldwide.

How many times do we read that an accident was caused by brake failure in Thailand?

Too many!

Even the simple thing as the exterior lights not working isn't checked in most Thai MOT

tests, it's a complete farce.

The test is about making money, nothing else....well it has to be when you see vehicles like this on a public road!

attachicon.gif002 (2).JPG

Gotta luv the truck in BSJs pic.

Crane, jacks so it doesn't fall over when loading/unloading. Great stuff!

I'd have thought they would dispense with the crane actually, and just push 'em off in approximately the right spot . . .

You got that right.

Rip off Britain.

Oh yes, another good driver, good enough to not need technology.

Remember that the instant before you impact with some idiot who gets in your way when he shouldn't.

I guess you don't even need seat belts . . .

Darwin award comes to mind.

Thailand needs to become more like the UK when it comes to things like this. As well as adopting their immigration policies, justice system, tax system, healthcare system, then this would become a better country to live in.